QUICK EUROPE FACTS
Europe is the second smallest continent of all 7 continents, the smallest being Antarctica.
Europe is home to the world’s smallest country, the Vatican City. The Vatican City is in Italy surrounded by the city of Rome.
The Russian Federation currently straddles both plates of Europe and Asia.
The Louvre is an art gallery in Paris (France) is the most visited attraction in Europe.
The Czech Republic has the most castles in Europe; a total of 932 castles.
200 different languages are spoken across Europe.
Iceland doesn’t have mosquitos due to the cold temperatures and lack of shallow ponds.
Norway’s coastline is the longest in Europe, it’s over 100,000 kilometres long. Made up o fjords, rugged islands and rocky shores.
Explore by City ….
Popular Destinations in Europe
- Poland: 2 of the most popular things to see and do in Poland are visiting Salt Mine in Wieliczka and the historic site of Auschwitz.
- Czech Republic: Czech Republic has over 2,000 castles and chateaus. Prague castle is one of the most famous castles in Czech Republic.
- Hungary: Hungary is known for it’s Hot Springs and Thermal Spas. Széchenyi Baths and Pool is the most popular and located in Budapest.
- Croatia: Croatia is known for it’s role in Game of Thrones in Dubrovnik as well as Plitvice Lakes National Park; a forested area with lakes and waterfalls.
- Romania: Romania is famously known for the legend of Dracula. Visit Dracula’s Castle in Transylvania: Bran Castle.
- England: The Tower of London and Big Ben are 2 of the biggest attractions in England. Or head out on a day trip to Stonehenge.
- Scotland: Visiting Edinburgh Castle, Loch Ness or the Isle of Skye are a few of the most popular places to visit in Scotland.
- Iceland: Iceland is known for it’s out-worldly landscapes and scenery, northern Lights, the popular Blue Lagoon, volcanoes, glaciers, and waterfalls.
- Ireland: Head to an Irish pub and enjoy a cold Guinness or take a day trip to see Cliffs of Moher.
- Sweden: Sweden is best known for it’s incredible views and freezing winters and of course IKEA style Swedish meatballs!
- Norway: Take a cruise along Norway’s famous Fjords or hike up to the popular Stavanger or Pulpit Rock.
- Greece: From Santorini to Mykonos and Athens, Greece is known for stunning landscapes and relaxing beaches and Greek mythology.
- Italy: Head to Rome to check out the Colosseum, Venice for travelling around via water canals or Naples to gorge yourself on the worlds best pizza!
- Portugal: Lisbon and Porto are 2 of the most popular cities to visit in Portugal. Algarve is known for the best beaches in Portugal.
- Spain: From afternoon Siestas to running with the bulls, Spain has it all. La Sagrada Familia is a must see in Barcelona.
- Austria: Follow along with the Sound of Music in Salzburg, enjoy the Opera in Vienna or ski in the Austrian Alps.
- Belgium: Stuff your face with Belgium waffles, beer and chocolates. Check out the shopping in Brussels, canals in Bruges or the incredible food in Antwerp.
- France: Climb the Eiffel Tower, visit the Mona Lisa at the Louvre or head to Bordeaux for France’s best wine.
- Germany: Join 7 Million others for Oktoberfest in October or the beautiful Christmas markets throughout Germany in December. My personal favourite place to visit is Neuschwanstein Castle in Fussen.
- Netherlands: Visit one of the many “coffee” house in Amsterdam’s red light district or take a trip to Keukenhof Tulip Gardens from mid April to the start of May.
- Switzerland: Switzerland is known for skiing, watches and delicious chocolates. Zermatt is the base for the famous Matterhorn peak.
10 of the Most Popular European articles
- 48 Hours in Iceland – A 2 Day Itinerary
- 10 of the Best things to do in Switzerland in the summer
- 23 Things to do in Annecy and the Surrounding Areas
- Weird, Unusual and Unique Things to do in Rome for First Time Travellers (Plus a Few Classics)
- Is a Day Trip from London to Paris via the Eurostar Train worth it?
- The Only Honeymoon Guide to Amalfi Coast You’ll Ever Need!
- 3 Day Itinerary for Bristol and Bath – 2 Cities 1 Trip
- Why you have to Visit the Lapland in Norway
- 13 Adventurous Things to Do in Mykonos
- Northern Lights Tips for Rovaniemi
Best Where To Stay In Europe Guides
Europe is made up of approx 50 different countries; which includes: