The Republic of Indonesia is the largest island nation in the world, with over 17,000 islands all told. Indonesia is probably most famous for Bali, with its beaches, jungles, yoga retreats, and internet cafes. However, Indonesia is also home to other tropical destinations, like the Gili Islands, as well as the capital city of Jakarta, with a population nearing ten million.
QUICK INDONESIA FACTS
Currency: Indonesian rupiah can be withdrawn from ATMs throughout Indonesia, however keep in mind that smaller cities or towns may not have access to ATMs and its recommended to withdraw cash and take it with you.
Power Points: Most power points are the same as most other European power points (2 circular prongs). Obviously I would recommend you take a Travel Adapter especially for non Europeans.
Official Language: The official language of Indonesia is Indonesian.
Health: There are some health concerns in Indonesia for travellers such as Polio reported in Papua Province, drink poisoning, rabies, measles, Insect-borne illnesses (zika, dengue, malaria). Waterborne, foodborne, parasitic and other infectious diseases are widespread and people are cautioned on getting tattoos and henna tattoos while in indonesia. I would recommend that you contact your doctor a few weeks before you travel as in some cases you need to start any medication a few days before your trip or you may need to get a vaccination. The tap water is not considered to be safe to drink, only drink bottled water.
Articles on Indonesia
Looking for a particular destination, see below otherwise you can go to Indonesian Travel Guide to view current posts
- Is it Safe to get a Tattoo in Bali?
- Where to stay in Bali – Sit back and Relax or Party hard!
- 4 of the Best Luxury Villas in Bali (bonus Luxury Activities)
- A Day in the Life of a Balinese Farmer at the Four Seasons Sayan
- Luxury Hotel Review of the Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan
- A Luxury Hotel Review of Four Seasons Jimbaran Bali
- Ultimate Guide to Seminyak, Bali
- The first timer’s guide to Bali: 5 insider tips for your Balinese adventure
- Bali vs Thailand: Which Should be your Next Travel Destination?
- 8 of the Best Health and Yoga Retreats in Bali
- Budget travel guide Bali
- 10 Wonderful Places to go Glamping in Bali
- Luxury Travel Guide to Bali
- The Best Way to Spend the Day at Bali Zoo!
- Most Affordable Private Pool Villas In Bali
- Best gyms in Bali
- Best Day trips from Bali