Siargao is a beautiful island in the Philippines and one of the most popular travel destinations for backpackers. It’s known for its stunning coastlines, crystal-clear waters, and surf scene, making it the perfect getaway for those seeking fun and relaxation.
As an experienced semi-full time traveler and authority on Siargao, I’ve traveled to the island multiple times and researched all of the best places to stay.
From luxurious resorts to cozy homestays, there are plenty of options available to travelers looking for somewhere comfortable to stay while exploring this tropical paradise. In this article, I’ll go over some of my favorite places in Siargao that range from budget-friendly to high end accommodations.
All of these recommendations come from personal experience and countless conversations with other travelers who have visited Siargao – so you can rest assured that you’re getting insider information!
Siargao Island, Philippines, is barely visible on the map. Zoom in on the map of the Philippines, and you’ll find a tiny, teardrop shaped island just north of Mindanao, nestled eastward in the Philippine Sea. But for whatever Siargao lacks in size, it makes up for in beaches, wildlife, and a thriving hospitality industry built around island tourism.
While small geographically, knowing where to stay in Siargao Philippines can present a challenge, so we’re here to help. Below we have outlined the best areas on the island, the best and affordable resorts in Siargao, and what to do in Siargao.
But first, a little bit about Siargao Island, a magnificent getaway that should not be overlooked.
Known as the “surfing capital of the Philippines”, Siargao Island’s history dates back to the 1500s when European settlers from New Spain marveled at the beauty of this little island. Today, Siargao is home to approximately 95,000 residents and encompasses an area of approximately 437 square kilometers, making the island easy to navigate by scooter or car.
Among the many reasons tourists keep coming back to Siargao is the surfing, the pristine sand beaches, fresh seafood, and abundance of adventure filled activities available around the island. Whether it’s swimming, ziplining, boating, surfing, or an island hopping tour that you crave, Siargao has it all.
Planning a honeymoon in Siargao is also a popular trend, with plenty of romantic beach villas for honeymooners to choose from. It’s really no wonder that Siargao was voted the Best Island in Asia in 2021 by Conde Nast Travelers Readers.
In terms of when the best time is to visit Siargao, locals recommend hitting up the island between July and November for surfing or between March and May for swimming and summer activities. March through September is generally considered the best six month stretch during which to visit, while November through January is when you’d have the highest chance of rainfall.
VIsitors to Siargao will often combine their trip with other stops in the Philippines. If that’s the case, be sure to reference our Areas to Avoid in Siargao section at the bottom of this article. While Siargao itself is deemed very safe for tourists, travelers to the rest of the Philippines may need to exercise a bit of extra caution.
A visit to Siargao also pairs well with trips to nearby Indonesia, Brunei, Vietnam, and Cambodia. The possibilities in this southern region of Asia are endless, so be sure to plan in advance.
Needless to say, you almost can’t go wrong in Siargao. The island is pure paradise, so no matter where you opt to hunker down, the island is sure to dazzle you with its natural beauty and relaxed atmosphere.
Nonetheless, we’ve broken down the best areas to stay in Siargao for every type of traveler. So, now that you know a bit about Siargao Island, Philippines, let’s figure out where to stay and what to do in this magical little slice of paradise.
Plan your trip?
Avoid hidden fees in the exchange rate while withdrawing from millions of ATMs abroad, paying in restaurants and shops, and buying your accommodation and flights using the Wise Card. You can hold up to 40+ currencies at once to spend in in over 150 countries, and convert them in real time with the free Wise app.
Need help planning your trip from start to finish? Check out these helpful links:
- Cheap flights
- Savings on accommodation from hostels to luxury hotels
- Affordable car rental options
- Affordable sightseeing tours and day trips
- Travel Adapter – All in one so you don’t have to carry a bunch around
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
General Luna: Where to stay in Siargao for first time
Why stay in General Luna
First time visitors: General Luna, Siargao is the spot for you. A beachfront locale that hugs the shoreline in every direction, General Luna is an ideal Siargao accommodation option for pretty much any traveler.
With an abundance of hotel and restaurant options, private beach areas, and a convenient location for Siargao island hopping, General Luna will give you a taste of all that Siargao has to offer.
Things to do in General Luna
- Swim and sunbathe anywhere along the miles of beach
- Watch the sunset from The Boardwalk @ The Boulevard
- Dance the night away to live music at El Lobo Siargao
- Fuel up on caffeine at the cozy Siargao Corner Cafe
- Sip on a craft cocktail at the Manu cocktail bar
- Get your zen on at the Lotus Shores Yoga and Surf Retreat
- Take a boat ride to the Secret Sandbar at Guyam Island or to nearby Daku Island, where you can relax on Daku Island Beach
Best places to stay in General Luna
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in General Luna
Budget accommodation in General Luna
Mid range accommodation in General Luna
Family Friendly accommodation in General Luna
Catangna: Where to stay in Siargao with family
Why stay in Catangna
Miles of pristine beaches dotted by attractive waterfront resorts characterize this little locale in Siargao. With surfing nearby, a highly rated healthy restaurant, sunset views, and endless stretches of beach, Catangna is an ideal spot on Siargao for families visiting the island.
Given that Siargao is known for surfing, we’d be remiss not to mention that Catanga happens to be the surfing capital of the island.
In this neighborhood alone, you’ll find tons of surf shops and surf schools, with local experts available to teach you how to surf in the waters they’re so familiar with. If you’re traveling with family, be sure to ask about child friendly surfing lessons, too.
Things to do in Catangna
- Try your hand at surfing at the Cloud 9 Surfing Area
- Go for a stroll along The Boardwalk at Cloud 9 Resort
- Catch impressive waterfront views at the Sunset Bridge
- Snack on fresh ceviche at CEV: Ceviche & Kinilaw Shack
- Eat a light and healthy meal at the Shaka Cafe vegetarian restaurant
- Stroll along the Catangnan Cabitoonan Bridge
- Soak up vacation vibes at the Lighthouse Restaurant
Best places to stay in Catangna
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Catangna
- Hiraya Surf Hostel
- Lexias Hostel and Workspace – Siargao
- Mad Monkey Hostel Siargao
- Vedya Boutique Hostel
Budget accommodation in Catangna
Mid range accommodation in Catangna
Family Friendly accommodation in Catangna
- Mango Tango Villas Siargao
- Happiness Beach Resort Siargao
- Las Palmas Villas and Casitas Siargao
- Greenhouse Siargao Eco-Beach Resort
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Catangna
Malinao: Where to stay in Siargao for beach lovers
Why stay in Malinao
Just south of General Luna, you’ll find Malinao, a quiet corner of Siargao where beach lovers will find their paradise. Hotels here have names like “Hideaway” and “Retreat”, beckoning visitors to soak in the serene beachfront access.
Even more, Malinao is perfect for beach lovers due to its easy access to the Naked Island sandbar and Daku Island, two popular destinations for true beach lovers.
Things to do in Malinao
- Sunbathe at the Beautiful Beach and Sandback
- Rent a chair or umbrella for the day at one of the many private beach clubs, including Soultribe Beach Retreat, RDM Beach Resort, and Malinao View Beach Resort
- Camp out on the beach at Isabel’s Copra Grove
- Sip on a cocktail while relaxing beachside at the Lagkaw Beach Bar
- Snag a delicious breakfast at JT’s Manukan Grille Siargao
- Take an island hopping tour to Naked Island
Best places to stay in Malinao
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Malinao
Budget accommodation in Malinao
Mid range accommodation in Malinao
Family Friendly accommodation in Malinao
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Malinao
Dapa: Where to stay in Siargao on a budget
Why stay in Dapa
At the southern tip of mainland Siargao, you’ll find Dapa, a large area with plenty of accommodation and activities to choose from. Dapa is a popular option for tourists, especially those on a budget, given that there are both waterfront and inland accommodation options here.
Dapa is also popular for its proximity to the Bucas Grande islands as well as its jungle region, where you can do everything from viewing coconut trees to bathing in a freshwater cold spring.
Things to do in Dapa
- Laze the day away on the pristine Doot Beach
- Go camping in the jungle at the Canijugan Peak Retreat and Campsite
- Take a boat to PJ’s Vacation Crib, a secluded beach club on nearby East Bucas Grande Island
- Steal away at the Cansodmon Private Beach Resort on East Bucas Grande Island
- Escape to the tiny Casolian Island and relax on Corregidor Beach
Best places to stay in Dapa
Budget accommodation in Dapa
Mid range accommodation in Dapa
Family Friendly accommodation in Dapa
Pilar: Where to stay in Siargao for nature lovers
Why stay in Pilar
Lush marshlands, sparkling natural rock pools, and cave diving define this little corner of Siargao, earning its title as a nature lover’s paradise.
Nearby, you’ll also find plenty of nature minded activities, such as swinging into a river with a rope, jumping into freshwater cold springs, and relaxing on the picture perfect beach, of course.
Things to do in Pilar
- Marvel at the turquoise water and rock formations at the Magpupungko Rock Pools and Flats
- Wander around in the Paghungawan Marsh and experience the varied wildlife there
- Swing from ropes into pools of fresh water at the Beto Cold Spring
- View wild coconut trees from above at the Coconut Trees View Deck
- Boat, swim, dive, and more at the Sapa sa Maasin River
- Climb and jump from cliffs at the Tayangban Cave Pool
Best places to stay in Pilar
Budget accommodation in Pilar
Mid range accommodation in Pilar
- LANGOJON JIANJOY BEACH RESORT
- Rice Haven Villas
- VILLA JUAN – A Private Beach Front Villa in General Luna Siargao
- The Bamboo House · Tropical Garden & Empty Beach
Family Friendly accommodation in Pilar
San Isidro/ Pacifico Beach: Where to stay in Siargao for relaxation
Why stay in San Isidro/ Pacifico Beach
Tucked away among the wild coconut trees of Siargao’s expansive Coconut Plantation, the San Isidro/ Pacifico district is a serene getaway that’s perfect for visitors craving a little peace and quiet.
But don’t worry, there’s still plenty to do here, and posting up in San Isidro/ Pacifico Siargao Beach will still ensure you’re close enough to all the action.
Things to do in San Isidro/ Pacifico Beach
- Walk through thousands of natural coconut trees at the Coconut Plantation
- Swim and dive at the San Miguel River
- Marvel at the natural rock formations inside The Marvelous Somyot Cave
- Immerse yourself in the local farming culture at the Bayatakan Farm Experience
Best places to stay in San Isidro
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in San Isidro
Budget accommodation in San Isidro
Mid range accommodation in San Isidro
Family Friendly accommodation in San Isidro
Santa Monica: here to stay in Siargao like a local
Why stay in Santa Monica
Sitting at the northernmost tip of Siargao is Santa Monica, a lively district that happens to be popular with locals and tourists alike.
Here you’ll find an abundance of accommodation options, but you’ll also find incredible sunset views, quiet beaches, a nature reserve, and local cuisine. Santa Monica’s popularity with locals makes it an ideal balance of vacation and authenticity.
Things to do in Santa Monica
- Visit the waterfall and swim in natural pools at the Taktak Falls
- Sunbathe and swim at the Alegria Beach
- Eat a delicious meal in the trees at the Jungle Cafe
- Walk along the Santa Monica Pier at sunset
- Visit the Danjug Cave Nature Park
Best places to stay in Santa Monica
Budget accommodation in Santa Monica
Mid range accommodation in Santa Monica
Family Friendly accommodation in Santa Monica
Socorro: Where to stay near Siargao for island life
Why stay in Socorro
If Siargao island hopping is high on your list of priorities, look no further than Socorro. Located on Siargao’s largest island, Bucas Grande, Socorro embodies unadulterated island life.
Its laid back culture, stunning nature, and cozy hideaway resorts—some of the best Siargao accommodation options out there—will beckon you to call this place home, even if just for a few days.
The islands surrounding Socorro are worth noting, too. Middle Bucas Grande and East Bucas Grande are technically different islands, though close by.
Also offering breathtaking nature, beachfront accommodation, and unforgettable white sand beaches. Whether or not you opt to stay in Socorro, be sure to add island hopping in this area to your list.
Things to do in Socorro
- Kayak and swim in turquoise waters at the Sohoton Cove on Bucas Grande Island
- Shack up at the Tiktikan Lagoon Cottages right on the water
- Go cave swimming in the Magkukuob Cave
- See jellyfish in their natural habitat at the Jellyfish Sanctuary
- Experience incredible natural rock formations at the Crystal and Bolitas Cave
Best places to stay in Socorro
Mid range accommodation in Socorro
Family Friendly accommodation in Socorro
Added Extra: Areas to Avoid in Siargao
When considering where to stay on Siargao, it’s worth remembering that while the island itself is widely regarded as safe and tourist friendly, the same cannot necessarily be said for the greater Philippines.
The U.S. State Department has designated the Philippines with a “level 2” travel advisory, meaning that travelers are advised to exercise increased caution when traveling within the country.
Specific areas that travelers should avoid in the Philippines include Marawi City in Mindanao, The Sulu Archipelago and Sulu Sea, and Mindanao, where local crime groups competing for territory have caused unrest.
Don’t fret, though! While it’s important to keep these precautions in mind, it’s equally worth noting that Siargao is one of the safest areas in the Philippines. Geographically isolated from the country’s problem hotspots, Siargao is purpose built with tourists in mind.
Locals are friendly and appreciative of the business that tourism brings to their island, so with a normal level of caution and common sense, you should feel at ease visiting Siargao.
Whether you’re looking for adventure, relaxation, or you’re headed for a honeymoon in Siargao, we’re confident that this splendid little collection of islands will charm you with its natural beauty and impeccable island vibes.
We hope that our guide for where to stay in Siargao has helped you find the ideal accommodation in Siargao for whatever type of vacation it is that you crave.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Siargao
|❤️ Best Area first timers||General Luna|
|💸 Best Luxury Hotel||Nay Palad Hideaway – All Inclusive|
|👪 Best Hotel for For Families||Las Palmas Villas and Casitas Siargao|
|🏨 Best Mid-Range Hotel||The Village Siargao|
|🛏️ Best Budget Hotel||ZM Residence|
|✨ Best Hostel||Mad Monkey Hostel Siargao|
FAQs About where to stay in siargao island
What are the accommodation options in Siargao Island?
Siargao Island offers a variety of accommodation options to suit different budgets and travel styles. From luxury resorts to budget-friendly hostels, there is something for everyone on the island. Those looking for a more unique experience can try staying in one of the many homestays available.
Is it easy to get around Siargao Island?
Yes! The main mode of transportation is motorbikes or tricycles, which are readily available for rent all over the island. Alternatively, you can hire a private car or join a jeepney ride. For those that prefer walking, most areas are easily navigable by foot as well.
What activities can I do in Siargao Island?
Siargao Island is an outdoor lover’s paradise! Whether it’s surfing at Cloud 9, kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding at Magpupungko Rock Pool or swimming with giant sea turtles at Bucas Grande, there’s something for everyone. There are also plenty of hiking trails, waterfalls and viewpoints to explore throughout the island.
Final Thoughts: best places to stay in siargao
Siargao is an island paradise like no other. With beautiful beaches, lush jungles, and vibrant coral reefs, it’s no wonder so many visitors flock to the island every year. From the luxurious resorts to the budget-friendly beach huts, there’s something for everyone in Siargao.
After reading this blog post about the best places to stay in Siargao, you’re sure to be ready to book a flight and experience this tropical paradise for yourself!
Don’t forget that booking your accommodation early will ensure you get the best rate and availability. So take the plunge and give yourself an unforgettable experience – book one of these amazing hotels today and start planning your perfect trip!
Read More on the Philippines:
- Where to Stay in the Philippines – Shopping, Island relaxation, Party Scene or Stunning Sights
- The Best Diving Spots in the Philippines
- Is the Philippines a dangerous place to travel to?
- 10 Perfect Tips to a Luxury Honeymoon in the Philippines
- What do you know about the Philippines?
- Where to Stay in Boracay
- The BEST Luxury Hotel in Boracay the Shangri-La Boracay
- Where to stay in Cebu
- The Ultimate Guide to Cebu
- Where to stay in Manila
- Five Free Things to Do in Manila
- Where to stay in Palawan
- The Ultimate Guide to Palawan
- Where to stay in Bohol
If you’d like to save it for later, please save it to Pinterest.