The word is out on Croatia as an amazing destination. While travelers flock to the Dalmatian Coast and cram into the street of Dubrovnik, Croatia’s oldest city, Zadar, remains somewhat off the beaten tourist path.
Zadar is not entirely exempt from tourism, however, as there are many Zadar hotels to choose from when you are figuring out where to stay in Zadar. Using our guide to the different choices around town, you can find the best places to stay in Zadar, Croatia.
We will cover off all types of Zadar accommodation options from Hostels to luxury Zadar hotels as well as how to decide where to stay in Zadar 2023.
|❤️ Best Area first timers||Zadar Old Town|
|💸 Best Luxury Hotel||Almayer Art & Heritage Hotel and Dépendance|
|👪 Best Hotel for For Families||Hotel Belvedere|
|🏨 Best Mid Range Hotel||Hotel Donat – All Inclusive|
|🛏️ Best Budget Hotel||Apartments Vedrana|
|✨ Best Hostel||Boutique Hostel Forum|
This guide shows off the best Zadar hotels, best places in Zadar to visit, the best places to stay in Zadar, hotels near Zadar attractions, Zadar neighborhood guide and many more. Check out the below guide on where to stay in Zadar Croatia.
Below are 16 of the best neighbourhoods in Zadar to help you make the right decision when trying to work out best suburb to stay in Zadar for you. We have tried to make the guide as easy to follow as possible.
We have also included some things to do or places to visit as well as some eatery suggestions of either our favourite places within the areas in Zadar so you can use this as a go to guide.
Plan your trip?
Avoid hidden fees in the exchange rate while withdrawing from millions of ATMs abroad, paying in restaurants and shops, and buying your accommodation and flights using the Wise Card. You can hold up to 40+ currencies at once to spend in in over 150 countries, and convert them in real time with the free Wise app.
Need help planning your trip from start to finish? Check out these helpful links:
- Cheap flights
- Savings on accommodation from hostels to luxury hotels
- Affordable car rental options
- Affordable sightseeing tours and day trips
- Travel Adapter – All in one so you don’t have to carry a bunch around
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Zadar Old Town – Where to stay in Zadar for tourists
Poluotok means Peninsula, and is where you will find Zadar Old Town. This is best areas to stay in Zadar for tourists on a short visit, as it’s very central and easy to get around. Below is a list of hotel in Zadar Old Town.
Why stay in Zadar Old Town:
You will pay for the convenience of location, though, as there are fewer budget friendly hotels here. Younger travelers, however, will appreciate the nightlife that can be found in Old Town Zadar.
Things to do in Zadar Old Town:
There’s also a plethora of Zadar accommodation here. Most hotels are in walking distance of the main attractions, including the famous Church of St. Donatus.
- Cathedral of St. Anastasia
The largest church in Dalmatia, the Cathedral of St. Anastasia is the Roman Catholic cathedral in Zadar.
The cathedral’s interior is incredibly peaceful, and the wooden beams at the top are simple but lovely. There is a clock tower with breathtaking views of the town that you may climb for 20 hrk. Around 200 stairs makes it simple to climb.
- People’s Square
People’s Square is an ancient square surrounded by a church from the 11th century and other historical structures, as well as a number cafes (for people watching..). The late Renaissance City Guard building with a clock tower dominates the western side.
- Roman Forum
The way Roman ruins seem to appear at random from the city’s streets is one of Zadar’s most intriguing features.
Nowhere is this more obvious than at the site of the ancient Forum, which was built between the first and third centuries BC. One Roman column is still standing amidst the collapsed temples and colonnades.
- Sea Organ
The Sea organ is an experimental musical object that uses the sea waves and tubes hidden beneath a series of massive marble steps to generate music. It is a piece of architectural sound art that can be found in Zadar.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Zadar Old Town:
- Hostel: Boutique Hostel Forum – Very nice staff. The location is just in the heart of the old town, 4 mins to the airport bus stop. Super clean. Lockers are available during stay & after checkout.
- Budget: Old City Rooms – Great value for money. Central location with an easy walk to the sea front and restaurants. Love the rooftop terrace for beautiful sunsets.
- Mid- Range: Unique Rooms – Amazing location, very clean, AC for heating/cooling. The room is big and bright. Even though the room is located above a busy street, there is not much noise if the windows are closed. The bed is very comfortable.
- Family: Idassa Palace – Excellent value for money, and you stay right in the middle of Zadar but on the quieter side. Rooms feel brand new, and are very clean with the towels being changed every day. An excellent base camp.
- Luxury: Bastion Heritage Hotel – Relais & Châteaux – This hotel makes it felt like home away from home from the moment you arrive. Food is exceptional and the rooms are spacious, very clean and beds extra comfortable.
Best places to stay in Zadar Old Town
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Zadar Old Town
Budget accommodation in Zadar Old Town
Mid range accommodation in Zadar Old Town
Family Friendly accommodation in Zadar Old Town
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Zadar Old Town
- Luxury Residence Zadar
- Almayer Art & Heritage Hotel and Dépendance
- Art Hotel Kalelarga
- Bastion Heritage Hotel – Relais & Châteaux
Borik Beach – Where to stay in Zadar with Family
Just four kilometres north of Old Town Zadar is the area around known a Borik, surrounding Borik Beach.
Why stay in Borik Beach:
This is one of the best places to stay around Zadar if you are looking for a family-friendly resort.
The beach here is sandy, which is rare for Croatia beaches, which is why this is popular for travellers visiting Zadar with children.
The beach is well-serviced, with sports and entertainment facilities, water-sports and refreshments.
Things to do in Borik Beach:
- Take the family for a day of fun at Luna-Park MADI
Luna-Park MADI is a a fun amusement park that offers rides and yummy food for all members of the family, it’s a great way to wear the kids out! Opening hours: Mon-Fri 16:00-22:00 Sat-Sun 12:00-22:00.
- Relax on Borik Beach
Both the sand and the stone portions make for a fantastic beach. The entry charge ranges from 10 to 15 kuna depending on the month. During quieter times it’s considered ones of the best beaches in Zadar.
There are also paid sunbeds (roughly 75 Kuna for two sunbeds and an umbrella). Borik beach seemed to be the nicest beach in Zadar that you can get on foot.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Borik Beach:
- Hostel: HI Hostel Zadar – The Location is great, close to everything. The reception is an awesome area with awesome people. The room is spacious with clean bathrooms.
- Budget: Apartments Zara – This apartment is affordable and the host is very attentive. There are 3 beaches nearby, approx. 5min walk. Shop and petrol station within 2 min walk. This apartment is also suitable for family with kids, as it has two separate bedrooms and common living room with kitchen.
- Mid- Range: Hotel Donat – All Inclusive – Staff are very friendly. All inclusive is great in terms of beer, wine, and local spirits. This hotel is very close to the beach which is a huge bonus if you want to dip in the sea. For what you pay you get a fantastic deal, it’s a great value.
- Family: Apartments Puntamika – Fantastic location. The apartment is really nice, it has everything you need, felt cozy and central to amenities such as bars, restaurants, and right next to the beach. The terrace and windows with sea view are amazing.
- Luxury: Falkensteiner Hotel Adriana – Adults Only – This hotel exceeded expectations. Great staff, great location on the ocean, and a great pool. With its spectacular outdoor pool, friendly staff and delicious food, the hotel is part of a larger complex that offers nice and spacious wellness center and other restaurants and bars right next to the beach.
Best places to stay in Borik Beach
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Borik Beach
Budget accommodation in Borik Beach
Mid range accommodation in Borik Beach
Family Friendly accommodation in Borik Beach
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Borik Beach
Zadar Port – Where to stay in Zadar for day trips
On the mainland, just minutes away from Old Town Zadar is the Zadar Port area.
Why stay in Zadar Port:
The Gaženica port is relatively new, so there are fewer Zadar accommodations, however it’s quite convenient for exploring Zadar.
Water taxis are readily available for trips to Old Town, and if you plan any day trips from Zadar, many ferry lines depart from this port.
You can even take a ferry to Italy from this port. Of course, if you are departing on a cruise ship, this is also one of the best places to stay in Zadar Croatia.
Things to do in Zadar Port:
There is not a lot do in Zadar Port, it’s mainly an area people take day trips from or want to spend time in a quieter neighbourhood, while still being able to access old town.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Zadar Port:
- Budget: Apartments Vedrana – Great location; 300m from bus station and 15mins to the beach, 25 minutes walk to the old town. Great hosts and very kind and very helpful. Good value for money and great for families with children!
- Mid- Range: La Vista Suites – Featuring a seasonal outdoor pool, La Vista Suites in Zadar provides accommodation with free WiFi and free private parking for guests who drive. Fitted with a terrace, the units offer air conditioning and feature a flat-screen TV and a private bathroom with shower and free toiletries. Some units also have a kitchen equipped with a fridge, a dishwasher, and a minibar.
- Family: Hotel Porto This is a modern hotel with excellent breakfast and dinner facilities. The hotel has lovely spacious rooms – The best family rooms, have three bedroom with a separate room and sofa, fridge and TV. Staff extremely polite and helpful. Location is convenient, not far from the old town center and super close to the ferry port Gazenica with plenty of parking.
- Luxury: Villa Donato with Jacuzzi – Very clean, spacious and fully equipped with every appliance you need. Felt like a home away from home. The host Josko, is really helpful and looks after his guests during your stay, nothing is too much trouble for him.
Best places to stay in Zadar Port
Budget accommodation in Zadar Port
Mid range accommodation in Zadar Port
Family Friendly accommodation in Zadar Port
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Zadar Port
Bibinje – Where to stay in Zadar on a budget
Just nine kilometres southeast from the main area of Zadar, you’ll reach the village of Bibinje.
Why stay in Bibinje:
If Zadar proves to have too many tourists for your taste, Bibinje is an excellent alternative. The area features many beaches, and beach resorts, and has the largest marina on the Adriatic Sea.
This low-key village has many local restaurants, cafes and small shops. If you are deciding where to stay in Zadar with a car, Bibinje is a great choice as parking is less restrictive than in Old Town Zadar.
For the ultimate budget friendly Zadar accommodation, there are even a few campgrounds not far from the shore.
Things to do in Bibinje:
- Wander around Bibinje Old Town
There are several monuments in Bibinje, a small but significant old town. There are five separate churches in the town centre, the most significant of which is the 16th-century Church of St. Rok.
Along the shore lies the main, four-kilometer promenade, which is palm tree-lined. There are also wonderful restaurants right on the water, where you can take in not only the delectable Dalmatian food but also the famed sunsets with a view of the nearby island of Uglijan.
- Relax at the Marina Dalmacija beach club
The Portus Beach Club & Restaurant will thrill all of your senses in addition to your palate. Natural materials like canvas, wood, jute, and rattan are used in the new outside space.
The greenery and special touches further enhance the pleasure of staying here by creating a sense of “being at home,” but out in the open and with the sound of the sea.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Bibinje:
- Budget: Apartments Suzana – Set in Bibinje in the Zadar, with Sulterova vala Beach and Na Škaljici Beach nearby. Apartments Suzana offers accommodation with free WiFi and free private parking. Fitted with a balcony, the units offer air conditioning and feature a TV and a private bathroom. Some units also have a kitchen equipped with an oven and a microwave. Guests can also relax in the garden.
- Mid- Range: Apartments Sun Resort Nikolina – All units are air conditioned and feature a dining area and a seating area with a flat-screen TV. Some units have a terrace and/or balcony. There is also a kitchen, equipped with a dishwasher, oven and microwave.. There is a private bathroom with a bath in each unit.
- Family: Villa Fresca – Great location of the villa. It is thoughtfully furnished with all new amenities and has direct access to the beach, the old village of Bibinje is nearby. Some of the rooms offer a large balcony overlooking the sea and the view of the islands across the waters. The owner Sime and his family are very friendly and good helpful hosts.
- Luxury: Lalic Gallery Apartments – Beautiful Apartment, well designed with everything you would possibly need. Including in your room rate is free use of the hot tub, bicycles and a paddle board. Nothing was too much trouble for the host, Jelena.
Best places to stay in Bibinje
Budget accommodation in Bibinje
Mid range accommodation in Bibinje
Family Friendly accommodation in Bibinje
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Bibinje
Sukošan – Where to stay near Zadar with kids
The next village south along the coastline is Sukošan, just five kilometres from Bibinje.
Why stay in Sukošan:
Sukošan is located on a large bay with dramatic views of the sea. There are only about 3,000 residents living here, making it a quaint escape from larger towns of Croatia.
The main beach actually translates as “children’s paradise” with shallow water, sandy surface and tons of play areas and waterslides. There are actually several beaches and beach resorts in this area, making it a very family friendly place to stay near Zadar.
Things to do in Sukošan:
- Visit and relax at Beach Children’s Paradise (Dječji raj)
Kids can safely swim and play in the shallow, quiet waters here at Djecji Raj’s main beach, which is 700 metres long and gently curved. It’s the perfect destination for families with kids.
This sandy and fine-pebbled beach is located to the south of Punta, a large peninsula that projects into the water. The beach has a lifeguard as well.
There are also restrooms, changing rooms, showers, and a rental services for lounge chairs and pedal boats on the beach. Moreover, there is a café, restaurant, snack bar, kiosk, and ice cream shop.
- Visit the Upper Gate landmark
These are also the visible ruins of the defence walls that the location was surrounded with created by the Venetian authorities in 1468–1470 with the intention of defending the site and the people. This used to be the entry, for example, the exit of the fortified Sukošan.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Sukošan:
- Budget: Apartments Martinac – The units come with tiled floors and feature a fully equipped kitchen with a fridge, a dining area, a flat-screen TV with satellite channels, and a private bathroom with shower. An oven and stovetop are also provided, as well as a kettle.
- Mid- Range: Suites Kod Guste – The room are very stylish, modern, spacious and the sauna in the room is an amazing feature. All the staff was super friendly. Property is very clean and modern and it is a very good option for a weekend break.
- Family: Hotel Belvedere – This hotel has really friendly and extremely professional staff. The location is just fabulous, peaceful and beautiful surroundings. Guests are offered comfortable rooms with balconies, most overlooking the Adriatic.
- Luxury: Villa Dumina – Villa Dumina provides accommodation with free WiFi, air conditioning, free bikes and access to a garden with an outdoor pool. Situated a few steps from Makarska Beach, the property features a fitness centre and free private parking. The villa is equipped with 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, bed linen, towels, a flat-screen TV with satellite channels, a dining area, a fully equipped kitchen, and a terrace with sea views.
Best places to stay in Sukošan
Budget accommodation in Sukošan
- Apartments Marica
- Apartments Martinac
- Apartments by the sea Sukosan, Zadar
- Apartments with a parking space Sukosan, Zadar
Mid range accommodation in Sukošan
Family Friendly accommodation in Sukošan
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Sukošan