Are you looking for a place to stay in Phuket, Thailand? I am here to give you the best go-to guide! I have been travelling to Phuket at least once a year for the past 10 years and can share plenty of insider knowledge about where to stay in Phuket.
Phuket – one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world – is popular with honeymooners, solo travellers and even digital nomads.
Thailand is fairly cheap compared to many countries, which makes places to stay in Phuket pretty affordable! Please enjoy this comprehensive guide on where to stay in Phuket in 2024
From enjoying the party nightlife in Patong, to something more relaxing and laid back in Rawai or Nai Yang, or the best area to stay in Phuket with your family, we cover all types of accommodation options from hostels to luxury hotels that don’t cost the earth, I can guarantee you’ll find the ideal accommodation in Phuket.
Here are 10 of the best areas in Phuket to help you decide where to stay on this beautiful island along with things to do in Phuket and much more. To make the guide as easy as possible to follow, we have also included some things to do, and attractions to visit.
You can check out our full guide to Phuket Villas here. Wondering where to stay in Phuket 2024, this comprehensive guide will help you out.
In a hurry and need the answer quick?
- Best places stay in Phuket for first timers: Karon (near Patong but more chilled)
- Best area to stay in Phuket for families: Kata Beach & Nai Yang
- Best beach to stay at in Phuket: Bang Tao Beach
- Best Hostel in Phuket: Lub d Phuket Patong
- Best Budget Hotel in Phuket: WOW PHUKET
- Best Mid Range Hotel in Phuket: Saturdays Residence by Brown Starling
- Best Family Hotel in Phuket: Splash Beach Resort
- Best Luxury Hotel in Phuket: The Slate
Please note, while pricing is great to have in articles due to the seasonal fluctuation, I don’t want to provide inaccurate information.
Plan your trip?
Avoid hidden fees in the exchange rate while withdrawing from millions of ATMs abroad, paying in restaurants and shops, and buying your accommodation and flights using the Wise Card. You can hold up to 40+ currencies at once to spend in in over 150 countries, and convert them in real time with the free Wise app.
Need help planning your trip from start to finish? Check out these helpful links:
- Cheap flights
- Savings on accommodation from hostels to luxury hotels
- Affordable car rental options
- Affordable sightseeing tours and day trips
- Travel Adapter – All in one so you don’t have to carry a bunch around
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Patong – where to stay in phuket for singles
Patong, located on Phuket’s west coast, is considered as one of the best places to stay in Phuket for solo travelers and those looking to party.
This vibrant area is a paradise for singles and adventurers, offering a blend of nightlife, beach activities, and shopping. Known for its lively atmosphere and beautiful beach, Patong is an ideal spot for those seeking both adventure and social interaction.
Patong is Best for:
- Singles seeking adventure
- First-time visitors to Phuket
- Those looking for vibrant nightlife
What’s Good About Patong:
- Main tourist area with a busy beach atmosphere
- Variety of activities: jet-skiing, sunbathing, beach vendors offering a range of products for sale
- Excellent walking street markets with a wide range of goods, including “designer” items (aka fake goods)
- Energetic nightlife filled with bars, shows, and unique entertainment (such as lady boys and the famous ping pong shows)
What’s Not So Good About Patong:
- Can be overwhelmingly frantic and chaotic, even in off-season
- High density of similar market vendors, requiring bargaining skills to get the best deals
- Over-commercialized area which has lost some of it’s traditional Thai charm
Why Stay in Patong:
Not sure what to expect in Patong? As a solo traveler who enjoys lively experiences and vibrant nightlife, Patong is a top choice for me, especially being one of the best places to stay in Phuket to party.
The area is teeming with everything from relaxing on the beach to shopping, and a nightlife that’s hard to beat. It’s the epicenter of Phuket’s party scene, with a range of accommodations suitable for every budget.
Things to Do in Patong:
- Explore Bangla Night Market
- Immerse yourself in the nightlife scene
- Visit Phuket Simon Cabaret for unique entertainment
- Enjoy various beach activities at Patong Beach
Here’s my list of the best places to stay in Patong
Budget Hotel & Hostels in Patong
Lub d Phuket Patong is a modern and impressive hostel in the heart of Patong Beach. Lub d provides budget-friendly dorms and private rooms. With a shared lounge and kitchen, it’s easy to make new friends here. One incredible benefit of this hotel is the large swimming pool by the reception area. If you are looking for where to stay in Phuket for nightlife Lub d is my favrouite go to Hostel in Patong.
BE Baan Paradise Hotel is an amazing option for cheap accommodation in Phuket. Book one of modern, cosy rooms with views overlooking the city. The location is ideal if you want to explore as much as Patong as possible, as the beach, Bangla Road and Jungceylon Mall are all within walking distance from the hotel.
Mid- Range and & Family Friendly Hotels in Patong
This hotel provides a range of accommodations, from stylish rooms to well-designed suites. Its location provides convenient access to Patong’s renowned nightlife, shopping and market areas, and the beach, making it an ideal choice for those seeking an affordable stay in Phuket.
Grand Mercure Phuket Patong is one of the best places on Phuket, and, here’s why. The hotel’s rooms and suites provide modern comfort and scenic views, only steps away from Bangla Road. This hotel offers a 2 bedroom pool villa, making it perfect for families who want their own private retreat.
Luxury Hotels in Patong
The best place to stay in Phuket for unbeatable 240 degree views of the Andaman Sea is Crest Resort & Pool Villas. This secluded resort offers stylish villas with private pools and a shuttle service to central Patong. Tri Trang Beach is only a short walk away if you don’t want to head to Patong. I stayed in the Premier Panorama Pool Villa and loved the private pool, the views and my own (very large) space.
This upscale resort has a range of spacious accommodation, two swimming pools, three restaurants and bars, a fitness centre, a tennis court and it’s own fruit shop! Despite the feeling of being secluded, the resort is conveniently close to the vibrant Patong Beach, making it an ideal place to stay in Phuket for those who want the best of both worlds.
Karon: where to stay in phuket for first-timers
As a first-time visitor to Phuket, I was on the lookout for the perfect place to stay, and Karon emerged as a top choice.
Karon is often overshadowed by its more famous sibling, Patong Beach, but it’s this quieter charm that makes it special.
Just 20 minutes away from the hustle of Patong, Karon offers a more authentic Thai experience, making it one of the best places to stay in Phuket for first-timers.
Karon is Best For:
- First-time visitors seeking an authentic Thai experience
- Those preferring a quieter yet convenient location in Phuket
What’s Good About Karon:
- Less crowded than Patong Beach, offering a peaceful atmosphere
- A beautiful beach that’s perfect for relaxation
- Karon Bazaar and the Karon Temple Market provide unique shopping experiences
- The presence of small shops, markets, local restaurants, and cafes offers more of a local Thai experience
- Central location, making it a great base for exploring other Phuket areas
What’s Not So Good About Karon:
- Less vibrant nightlife compared to Patong
- Limited options for those seeking high-energy activities
Why Stay in Karon:
Karon is an ideal destination for those who want to immerse themselves in authentic Thai culture. The serene beach, coupled with a variety of markets, restaurants, and bars, offers a well-rounded experience.
Its central location is perfect for those who wish to explore different parts of Phuket while having a peaceful retreat to return to.
Karon is a gem for first-time visitors to Phuket, offering a blend of tranquility, local culture, and convenience. It’s undoubtedly one of the best places to stay in Phuket for first-timers.
Things to Do in Karon:
- Discover unique items and local crafts at Karon Bazaar
- Experience local culture at the Karon Temple Market, especially on Tuesdays and Fridays
- Enjoy the quieter Karon Beach
- Explore a more subdued yet enjoyable nightlife
Here’s my list of the best places to stay in Karon
Budget Hotel & Hostels in Karon
This newly-built hostel is cleaned and well-maintained, offering cosy bunk beds with privacy curtains. The beach is only a few hundred metres away, with plenty of restaurants and shops right around the corner. In the evenings, you can socialise in the shared lounge before walking into town and exploring the bar scene with your new friends.
Thira House is a great budget, family-friendly accommodation. While the exterior doesn’t stand out much, the rooms create an inviting and cosy atmosphere. The family rooms are perfect if you are travelling with kids, as they include a large bed with a bunk bed, plus other convenient amenities.
Mid- Range and & Family Friendly Hotels in Karon
This mid-range resort features spacious rooms, sunset views, and incredible staff who go above and beyond. While not on the beach, you can still cool down in the large outdoor pool and take advantage of the swim-up bar. There is a good range of food offered at the restaurant, with breakfast served daily at the resort’s cafe.
One of the best places to stay in Phuket when travelling with kids is Destination Resorts. With three outdoor pools, a water slide and a kid’s club, your little ones will never want to leave. There are also three restaurants to dine at, and two bars for the adults. The resort is also close to the indoor playground Kidzoona, and a just 150 metres from the beach. Babysitting services are offered if you want to spend an hour or two relaxing at the spa.
Luxury Hotels in Karon
Pullman Phuket Karon Beach Resort is a prestigious luxury hotel located in Karon. This beachfront resort is located within 75 acres of luscious gardens. Offering eight dining options, five outdoor pools, three tennis courts, a beauty salon, and a whole lot more to discover. Pullman Phuket Karon promises an unforgettable, upscale retreat in paradise.
Located a short distance from Karon Beach, Mandarava Resort and Spa offers five pools and five swim-up bars. This world-class resort is the best place to stay in Phuket if you want to spend your vacation swimming, sunbathing and relaxing. Make use of the hotel buggies to get around this massive resort and the hotel shuttle service that will take you to the beach.
Kata Beach: best area to stay in phuket for families
Kata Beach, nestled in Karon, is a picturesque destination that stands out as the best place in Phuket to stay for families. This tranquil beach, fringed with palm trees, boasts white sands and crystal-clear waters throughout the year.
Kata Beach is Best For:
- Families – it’s a safe and enjoyable beach for kids to play in
- Kata is also a couple friendly beach with its relaxed vibes and awesome restaurants
- From April to October, Kata Beach becomes a surfers paradise
What’s Great About Kata Beach
- Family and couple-friendly environment
- Beautiful, palm-lined white sand beach with clear waters
- Variety of dining options, from local eateries to upscale restaurants
- Vibrant yet manageable nightlife, avoiding the excessive crowds of Patong
- Abundant shopping choices, ranging from souvenir shops to modern supermarkets
- Close proximity to the famous “3 capes” look-out at Kata View Point, offering panoramic views of Patong, Kata, and Karon
What’s Not So Great About Kata Beach
- Being a popular beach, Kata can get quite crowded, especially during peak tourist season.
- As a tourist hotspot, prices for accommodations, food, and activities at Kata Beach can be higher compared to less touristy areas in Thailand.
Why Stay in Kata Beach
Kata Beach is a haven for families, particularly those with young children, thanks to its gentle waves and soft sand.
It’s the perfect balance between relaxation and entertainment, with a plethora of dining options, and hotels that cater to families with amenities like kids’ clubs and babysitting services.
Karon beach or Kata beach which is better? It largely depends on what you’re looking for. Kata Beach, with its mix of chilled beach spots and family-oriented activities, makes it a top choice for those wondering where to stay in Phuket with family.
Things to do in Kata Beach
- Relaxing beach days with family-friendly swimming conditions
- Fabulous views from scenic spots like the Kata View Point
- Cultural excursions to landmarks such as The Big Buddha
Here’s my list of the best places to stay in Kata Beach
Budget Hotel & Hostels in Kata Beach
Slumber Surf is a lively and social hostel designed specifically for young people. With an age limit of 18 to 35 year-olds, this vibrant accommodation features a shared lounge and bar so you can easily meet new people and make some friends. With the beach only 700 metres away, you can swim and sunbathe during the day before getting ready to go out at night.
Sugar Ohana Poshtel Resort is a budget-friendly hotel with modern conveniences . The cozy rooms are designed to provide comfort without breaking the bank, ensuring a relaxing stay for budget-conscious travelers. The hotel doesn’t have a swimming pool but Kata Beach is only a 5 minute drive away.
Mid- Range and & Family Friendly Hotels in Kata Beach
BLUE PINE is one of the best places to stay in Phuket near the beach if you don’t want to spend a fortune. The modern suites and villas are well-equipped, some of which contain their own lounge and kitchen areas. There is a free shuttle to the beach if it’s too hot to walk, or you can spend the afternoon by the “Cocohut” pool bar.
For families looking to stay in the best part of Phuket, OZO Phuket is an ideal accommodation. With a kids waterslide and play area, a playground and a billiards table, both the kids and the adults will be entertained here. The family rooms provide plenty of space for each person, with the option of either a bunk bed or two singles (in addition to a large king bed).
Luxury Hotels in Kata Beach
The Metadee Concept Hotel offers an unforgettable and luxurious stay in Kata Beach. The unique Thai-style rooms feature canopy beds and free-standing bathtubs. Some of the villas come with your own private pool. There is a large pool with a generous amount of sunbeds if you don’t have your own private pool.
Located only a street away from Kata Beach. Malisa luxury Villas offer generously-sized suites that come with a private pool, kitchen and separate living area. Free Wi-Fi and MAC mini computers are available for guests if needed. You can either enjoy in-villa dining, the open-air Nanta Restaurant at the resort or exploring the surrounding restaurants and bars.
Phuket Town – best places stay in phuket for young adults
Located in the heart of Phuket, Phuket Town may not offer beachfront vistas, but it’s brimming with a unique blend of historical and modern allure.
At the heart of this vibrant town is Old Phuket Town, or Thalang Road, a picturesque street adorned with vibrant 19th-century shop houses and historic Sino-Portuguese buildings dating back to 1903.
Phuket Town is Best for:
- Tourists who want to be immersed in Thai culture and history
- Food lovers looking for delicious local cuisine
- Young adults and budget travelers
Whats Good about Phuket Town:
- Experiencing Phuket’s authentic side, away from the typical tourist spots
- A mix of busy markets, diverse dining options, and lively bars
- Affordable accommodation choices, perfect for young adults
- There are not really any beaches near Phuket Town, the closest Panwa 10km away.
Whats Not so Good about Phuket Town :
- Lack of direct beach access
- The markets can be crowded in the evening
- Might not cater to those seeking a typical beach holiday
Why Stay in Phuket Town:
Phuket Town is a haven for those wanting to immerse themselves in the real essence of Phuket. It’s ideal for young adults looking for a blend of cultural experiences, from the bustling street markets to the wide array of restaurants and bars.
Plus, the availability of budget-friendly accommodation in Phuket Town makes it one of the best places to stay in Phuket for young adults.
Things to do in Phuket Town:
- Discover the charm of historic Sino-Portuguese architecture
- Visit the Thai Hua Museum for a cultural dive
- Indulge in shopping at Robinson Department Store and Central Festival Phuket or the Phuket Town weekend Markets
- Taste the flavors of local Thai cuisine
Here’s my list of the best places to stay in Phuket Town
Budget Hotel & Hostels in Phuket Town
For hostels in Phuket Town that have a chill and relaxed vibe, consider The Z Nite. The dorm beds come with privacy curtains and the staff are super helpful and friendly. If you do feel like socialising a little, there’s a great hangout area downstairs with a cafe and bar.
Right around the corner from the Chinpracha House and the Thai Hua Museum is the Shunli Hotel. It’s an unbeatable location for budget travellers who want to explore the very best attractions of Phuket Town. Rooms are simple yet clean and comfortable, and a Thai breakfast is prepared for you each morning. It’s also no issue if you need to check in during the middle of the night.
Mid- Range and & Family Friendly Hotels in Phuket Town
The Blu Monkey is a boutique hotel in Phuket Town that won’t break the bank. The beds here are super comfortable, and some rooms feature outdoor bathtubs on a private balcony. Free bikes are offered if you feel like going for a ride around the town, or you can spend your afternoons swimming in the secluded pool. You’ll also have free access to a 24-hour co-working space, making it the best stay in Phuket for any digital nomads.
The Blanket Hotel is a family-friendly hotel in the centre of Phuket Town. Not only do they offer rooms king and twin rooms, there are also two different family suites. The suites are fairly spacious and have all the amenities you need for your stay. If you are travelling with picky eaters, there are plenty of breakfast options here to choose from.
Luxury Hotels in Phuket Town
The clean and spacious rooms include plenty of traditional Thai elements, an outdoor pool and 2 restaurants on-site. The Executive Suite rooms are large enough to be comfortable and offer a luxurious living room, a comfortable bathroom with Jacuzzi bathtub.
Novotel Phuket City Phokeethra stands out as a luxurious hotel in the heart of Phuket, offering its modern and stylish suites. Guests can choose from rooms show off city, mountain, or bay views. The spacious rooms, some featuring balconies, are designed for ultimate comfort and convenience, complemented by intuitive service that caters to every need.
Rawai: where to stay in phuket for couples
As someone who has explored Phuket extensively, I’ve found Rawai to be a hidden gem, one of the best places stay in Phuket for couples seeking a serene getaway.
Tucked away at the southernmost tip of Phuket, about 45 minutes from the hustle and bustle of Patong, Rawai offers a tranquil retreat. It’s a short drive from Chalong Pier, making it convenient yet secluded.
Rawai offers an unparalleled experience for couples looking to unwind and enjoy each other’s company in a relaxed setting, making it one of the best places to stay in Phuket for couples.
Rawai is Best for:
- Couples and honeymooners looking for a peaceful vacation.
- Experiencing a laid-back atmosphere away from the typical tourist spots.
- Enjoying the local culture with its charming “pop-up” markets.
- Relaxing at pristine beaches and indulging in water activities.
What’s Good About Rawai:
- Proximity to idyllic islands like Bon Island and Coral Island, perfect for snorkeling or sunbathing.
- Limited yet exquisite accommodation options like Serenity Resort, ideal for a romantic stay.
- The opportunity to experience breathtaking sunsets at Phromthep Cape, a must-visit spot.
What’s Not So Good About Rawai:
- Limited options for beach swimming, though nearby beaches like Rawai Beach and Nai Harn Beach compensate for this.
- Not the best destination for those seeking a shopping or nightlife experience.
Why Stay in Rawai?
Rawai stands out as the best area to stay in Phuket for couples who wish to escape the crowds and immerse themselves in a chilled out environment. It’s perfect for those seeking privacy and relaxation, making it the best place to stay in Phuket particularly for honeymooners.
Things to Do in Rawai:
- Visit Promthep Cape for stunning views and sunsets.
- Explore the nearby islands for a day of adventure or relaxation.
- Spend time at the local beaches, enjoying the serene environment.
Here’s my list of the best places to stay in Rawai
Budget Hotels in Rawai
This hotel includes an outdoor swimming pool, a garden and a sun terrace. While typical studio rooms are offered, the condotel is known for its modern yet homely apartments. The two-bedroom apartment is an amazing option for a group of friends or two couples travelling on a budget. Of course, you and your partner could also go with the one-bedroom apartment if you want a little extra space.
Number 4 Hotel offers incredible value for money. You can book a room with mountain views, or a grand deluxe double with an impressively luxurious spa bath.
Mid- Range and & Family Friendly Hotels in Rawai
With views of the Andaman Sea, this hotel offers classic New York Bay apartment-style residences. One and two-bedroom suites are offered with dark, moody interiors that give an elegant and classy vibe. The suites include a living area with a small kitchen, a dining table, a flat-screen TV and a washing machine. Enjoy the pool or take a relaxing bath on your private balcony.
The Rawai Palm Beach Resort includes three pools, three restaurants and a spa. The decor embraces traditional Thai roots while still incorporating modern amenities. Each room has a private balcony with beautiful views, some of which provide direct pool access. The deluxe family rooms have pool views and kitchenettes.
Luxury Hotels in Rawai
My personal favourite honeymoon spot is the Selina Serenity Rawai Phuket. Here you’ll be treated to views and direct access to the Andaman Sea. The Selina Serenity has an outdoor infinity pool, and a restaurant and beach bar. Some rooms have their own plunge pools. If you’re staying a few nights or want to go all out, larger apartments are available, I’d recommend the beachfront villa with private pool.
This fantastic resort is located along Friendship Beach in Rawai. Stunning beachfront villas with floor-to-ceiling windows are available, as are deluxe villas with private pools and teak wooden furnishings. Each villa is surrounded by lush greenery, providing extra privacy.
Nai Yang – best place to stay phuket for Young Families
I’ve discovered that Nai Yang is the best area in Phuket to stay, especially for young families. Located within the Sirinat National Park and a five-minute drive from the airport, Nai Yang is a gem about an hour away from the bustling Patong area.
Nai Yang is Best for:
- Proximity to the airport: Only a five-minute drive.
- Location within Sirinat National Park: Offers a natural setting.
- Accessibility to Patong: Roughly an hour’s drive away.
Whats Good About Nai Yang
- White sandy beaches with small waves; safer for kids.
- Warm, clear waters, perfect for snorkeling, especially at the reef on the northern beach end.
- Kite surfing opportunities
- A mix of accommodation options catering to various budgets.
- Spectacular sunsets best enjoyed with a beachside cocktail.
- Family-friendly, far from inappropriate venues for children.
Whats Not So Good About Nai Yang
- Occasional noise from overhead planes.
- Accommodation can be slightly pricier compared to other Phuket areas.
Why Atay in Nai Yang
Nai Yang stands out as a family-friendly destination, distanced from the island’s more vibrant party scenes. It caters wonderfully to families, offering children’s play areas and babysitting services in most hotels and resorts.
Nai Yang is a top choice for families and a standout among the best places to stay in Phuket. Whether you’re looking to unwind on the beach or indulge in a culinary delight at a resort like The Slate, Nai Yang is a destination that promises memorable experiences for every visitor.
Things To Do in Nai Yang
- Explore the beauty of Sirinat National Park.
- Enjoy leisurely days at the quiet, sandy beaches.
- Experience kite surfing or snorkeling for a dash of adventure.
Here’s my list of the best places to stay in Nai Yang
Budget Hotel & Hostels in Nai Yang
If you’re travelling solo or on a budget, The Luna is an incredible hostel located in one of the best areas to stay in Phuket. Not only is the hostel modern and beautifully designed, it also includes free breakfast, free use of bicycles, a library, computers, a billiards table, and close proximity to the airport. There are both private rooms and bunk bed dorms available with air-con. Nai Yang beach is about a 10-minute walk away, though there is also an amazing pool you can use at the hostel.
Pensiri House is an affordable option if you want to be both close to the beach and near the airport for an early morning flight. There are a range of rooms available, from standard double rooms to full-size apartments with your own private kitchen. Best of all, the hotel is only a five-minute walk from Nai Yang Beach and some great local restaurants.
Mid- Range and & Family Friendly Hotels in Nai Yang
The resort includes an outdoor pool, a garden, a fitness centre, a restaurant, a children’s playground, currency exchange, and a whole lot more. Each bungalow is connected by a wooden walkway and features a private terrace. One bungalow is specially designed for families with extra and daybeds and king-sized beds. Free shuttle services and one-way airport transfer are also offered.
Only a short walk from Nai Yang Beach is the family-friendly Proud Phuket Hotel. Their family room comes with a single bed and a large double bed, or you can book the two-bedroom suite with two double beds and a sofa bed. The spacious rooms are filled with natural light and come with a balcony or patio that looks out onto the swimming pool.
Luxury Hotels in Nai Yang
One of my favourite Phuket island hotels is The Slate. This incredible 5-star accommodation has everything you could ever need, you won’t want to leave the resort. The resort includes five dining options, a beautiful rainforest spa, a fitness centre with yoga and Muay Thai classes, the Tin Box kid’s club, and a snooker hall. Two of the three pools here are adults-only, while one is suited to families. Opt for a spacious two-bedroom suite if you’re with the kids.
This tropical retreat is next to Sirinat National Park, metres from the pristine waters of Nai Yang Beach, and only a five-minute drive from the airport. The charming villas include a private pool with sun loungers and a surrounding garden, while the elegant suites have access to the main swimming pool. Additional guests are easily accommodated if you’re travelling with family.
Kamala – Where To Stay In Phuket For Relaxation
As someone who adores the beach, I’ve found Kamala in Phuket to be a hidden gem. It’s situated about 20 minutes from the bustling Patong. Here’s why I think Kamala stands out as one of the best places to stay in Phuket on the beach.
Kamala is Best For:
- Travelers who love the beach but not the crowds.
- Those looking for a balance between relaxation and access to Phuket’s vibrant attractions.
- Beachfront living with a range of accommodations, including luxurious private villas.
What’s Good About Kamala:
- Its peaceful, uncrowded beach – a rarity in Phuket.
- Proximity to Patong, allowing for easy day trips.
- Unique stays like The Bell Pool Villa Resort, where private pools and personalized services such as hiring a chef for a BBQ are the norms.
- Home to FantaSea, the renowned Cultural Theme Park, a hit among tourists.
What’s Not So Good About Kamala:
- It might be too laid-back for those seeking a bustling nightlife.
- Limited options for adventurous activities compared to other areas in Phuket.
Why Stay in Kamala:
It’s relaxed and laid-back, offering a reprieve from the usual tourist hustle while not being too isolated from Phuket’s prime attractions. Kamala is an idyllic spot for those who want to experience the best of both worlds in Phuket.
The beaches here are peaceful, making it one of the best areas to stay in Phuket for a chilled out beach experience.
Things to Do in Kamala:
- Spend a leisurely day at its beaches.
- Explore FantaSea, a unique cultural theme park offering nighttime entertainment.
- Indulge in spa days for the ultimate relaxation.
Here’s my list of the best places to stay in Kamala
Budget Hotel & Hostels in Kamala
If you plan on spending the whole day at the beach and simply need a spot to rest your head at night, then Baan Kamala Backpacker is an ideal place to stay. Only a five-minute walk from Kamala Beach, this welcoming hostel offers dorms with lock boxes, reading lights and charging ports, as well as larger lockers to store your bags.
The Mareeya Place is a 2-star accommodation that is both cosy and budget-friendly. The kind staff will make you feel right at home here. Breakfast can be ordered to your room, and there is 24-hour security for peace of mind. The rooms include balconies with seating areas. Best of all, Kamala Beach is only 300 metres away.
Mid- Range and & Family Friendly Hotels in Kamala
What could be better on vacation than laying on a hammock on your private balcony overlooking the sea? The fabulous Layalina Hotel allows you to do just this and more. The rooms are warmly designed with wooden features and include a romantic spa bath. The hotel is reasonably small too, so it won’t be overcrowded with other guests.
The Princess Kamala Beachfront Hotel is a slice of paradise where you can unwind and forget about the outside world for a while. Family rooms are available and babysitting services are offered if you are travelling with little ones. You can spend time in one of the two swimming pools, sip a cocktail at the swim-up bar, and indulge in some fresh seafood at the hotel restaurant.
Luxury Hotels in Kamala
Looking for nice places to stay in Phuket that won’t cost a fortune? With traditional Thai exteriors and sleek, modern interiors, the Bell Pool Villa Resort offers a luxury stay at a reasonable price. The resort has one, two, three and four-bedroom pool villas, making it suitable for a romantic getaway, a family reunion, or the trip of a lifetime with a group of your friends. Cool down in your private pool, get a massage in your room, and arrange a Thai cooking class.
With bohemian restaurants and poolside bars located along the hillside, you’ll feel like royalty at the Hyatt Regency. Opt for an ocean view, a plunge pool, a terrace with a whirlpool, or stay in a family room. This idyllic resort features exclusive facilities like a dive centre, a house reef and a seaside infinity pool, making it the best location in Phuket for an unique stay.
Bang Tao Beach – Best Beach To Stay At In Phuket
Bang Tao Beach, loacted on Phuket’s western coast, ranks among the island’s longest and least crowded beaches, offering a peaceful escape.
Bang Tao Beach is Best for:
- Nature enthusiasts.
- Those looking for a blend of luxury and affordability.
- Visitors eager to explore a less frequented side of Phuket.
What’s good about Bang Tao Beach:
- Proximity to Sirinat National Park, a haven for wildlife and nature.
- The Dusit Thani Laguna Hotel, a standout for its peaceful beach.
- A vibrant atmosphere at Surin Beach, also known as Millionaires Row, at the southern end.
Whats not so good about Bang Tao Beach:
- Its quiet nature might not suit those seeking a bustling beach scene.
- Limited options for budget accommodations compared to more developed areas.
Why Stay in Bang Tao Beach:
Bang Tao Beach is a gem for those seeking a quieter and more secluded spot. It’s a unique blend of luxury and simplicity, offering a range of accommodations from high-end hotels on Millionaires Row to more budget-friendly options.
Things To Do in Bang Tao Beach:
- Relax and unwind on the extensive, peaceful beach.
- Explore the local flavors and culture at the Bang Tao Night Market.
- Enjoy a day of fun and adventure at Blue Tree Phuket.
Here’s my list of the best places to stay in Bang Tao Beach
Budget Hotel & Hostels in Bang Tao Beach
ChillHub Hostel offers a bohemian stay only a short walk away from various beach clubs along Bang Tao Beach. The casual dorms are well-designed and include privacy curtains. Work on your laptop or meet friendly people in the communal lounge area before taking a dip in the relaxing pool.
Bangtao Village Resort, an affordable accommodation that embraces Thai culture. The resort offers both indoor and alfresco dining, bicycle rental, a hot tub, and a long outdoor pool. Room options include deluxe twin and double beds, as well as a family room. The staff are incredibly kind and welcoming, and Bang Tao Beach is a five-minute walk away.
Mid- Range and & Family Friendly Hotels in Bang Tao Beach
Holiday in style at the Arinara Beach Resort. Stay in a spacious suite, or select a room with direct pool access. With four diverse restaurants at the resort, this is the best place to stay in Phuket for foodies (or for couples who can never agree what to eat). Friendly staff are available 24/7 to help with anything, including organising trips and tours.
The Movenpick Resort at Bang Tao Beach is an outstanding pick for a family getaway. Some of the features of the resort include an infinity pool with a sunken spa pool, a health club with a steam room and sauna, a spa, and a games room. One, two and three-bedroom residences are available, as well as penthouses with jacuzzis. With ample room, each member of the family will have their own personal space.
Luxury Hotels in Bang Tao Beach
Banyan Tree Phuket is one of my go-to hotels because if it’s award-winning fine dining and incredible spa treatments. The villas are furnished with Thai art and woodwork, and feature open-air jet pools surrounded by landscaped gardens and inviting sun loungers. You can use the tennis court during or play a round of golf.
After a stay at The Pavilions, Phuket, you will never want to return home. This intimate, award-winning resort is characterised by infinity pools, airy villas and swaying palm trees. Located atop one of the highest points in Phuket, you’ll be treated to panoramic views and breathtaking sunsets. The Pavilions offers a complimentary shuttle service to Layan Beach, daily cultural activities, and a state-of-the-art wellness centre.
Mai Khao Beach – best beach in phuket for couples
Mai Khao Beach, close to Phuket’s International Airport, emerges as a beachfront retreat. It stands out as one of the best places to stay in Phuket on the beach, particularly if you’re on a tight schedule.
This gem of a location retains its charm by being one of the least developed beaches in Phuket. Its coarser sands are a small price to pay for the relaxed environment, free from the usual crowds.
Mai Khao Beach is Best for:
- Those seeking a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle
- Perfect for couples or honeymooners looking for a romantic getaway
Whats good about Mai Khao Beach
- Being one of Phuket’s longest beaches, offers a peaceful and uncrowded experience.
- It’s a nesting ground for sea turtles, particularly the Leatherback turtles.
- Home to several high-end resorts and hotels, offering luxurious accommodations and amenities.
Whats not so good about Mai Khao Beach
- The area around Mai Khao Beach is not as developed as other parts of Phuket, resulting in fewer dining and nightlife options.
- Close to Phuket International Airport, makes it easily accessible, it also means that visitors may experience noise from overhead planes.
- Mai Khao Beach is relatively remote compared to other beaches in Phuket.
Why Stay in Mai Khao Beach?
Mai Khao Beach is a quiet, relatively untouched oasis. Its proximity to the airport adds to the convenience, making it ideal for short stays. The exclusivity of Mai Khao Beach is further enhanced with limited but premium accommodation options like the JW Marriott Phuket Resort.
Things To Do in Mai Khao Beach
- Dive into fun at the Splash Jungle Water Park, a hit with families and kids.
- Embrace the natural beauty of Mai Khao’s untouched beach, a rare find in Phuket.
- Explore the local turtle sanctuary, a unique experience blending education and conservation.
Here’s my list of the best places to stay in Mai Khao Beach
Budget Hotel & Hostels in Mai Khao Beach
There are simple bamboo cottages with outdoor bathrooms, as well as relaxed sea-view villas. If you’re really sticking to a budget, book a beachfront tent that comes with two single beds and a fan. Head out for a day of cycling and canoeing before enjoying a cocktail and a barbecue dinner at the beach bar.
Make Orchidilla Residence your home away from home while in Phuket. The property includes a huge garden and a communal pool, with easy shuttles to Mai Khao Beach. Entire holiday homes are available at an affordable price, coming with a fully equipped kitchen, a lounge area, and a private entrance. You don’t have to worry about cooking, however, as breakfast can be ordered to your room.
Mid- Range and & Family Friendly Hotels in Mai Khao Beach
The picturesque Coriacea Beachfront Boutique is a small and casual accommodation right by the water. Despite being close to the airport, this boutique hotel is surprisingly relaxing. Many of the colourful and cosy rooms have sea views from the balcony. Enjoy a romantic dinner during sunset and a drink or two at the pool bar after a long day at the beach.
Splash Beach Resort is one of the best places to stay Phuket when travelling with young kids. Home to the Splash Jungle Water Park, families will adore the six-level wave pool, the 335-metre floating river, and the “Boomerango”. In terms of accommodation, options range all the way from simple rooms and family suites to luxurious penthouses and villas, so it’s completely up to you how much you want to spend.
Luxury Hotels in Mai Khao Beach
If you want to be close to the airport yet still have a secluded getaway, look no further than the JW Marriott Phuket Resort and Spa. With a whopping 11 dining options and three outdoor pools, you’ll be spoiled for choice. The soundproofed rooms feature garden, pool or ocean views, and many offer premium pool access. You can learn Muay Thai or take a cooking class here, and even visit the on-site turtle shelter.
Melia Phuket is an absolutely stunning 5-star resort. A short distance from Sai Kaew Beach, this 5-star hotel includes a beautiful pool with sun loungers, an elegant restaurant serving a variety of cuisines, and a playground for children. Rooms here are limited to private one-bedroom suites with an outdoor bathtub, and villas with a private pool.
Chalong: where to stay in Phuket for island hopping
Located on the eastern coast of Phuket, Chalong presents itself as a marina haven, primarily known for its boating and yachting community.
Despite its muddy shores making it less ideal for beach-goers, Chalong stands out as a strategic location for those keen on exploring the island’s offshore attractions.
Chalong is Best for:
- Prime location for island hopping in Phuket.
- Close to the iconic Big Buddha on the hilltop, offering panoramic views.
- Rich in attractions like the Phuket Botanic Gardens and Phuket Bird Park.
- Ao Chalong Pier serves as a hub for various boating activities.
- A variety of pubs and restaurants cater to the adventurous spirit of sailors and divers.
What’s good about Chalong:
- Central point for embarking on sailing, diving or island hoping day trips.
- Proximity to significant landmarks, including Wat Chalong.
- Diverse mooring options such as Boat Lagoon, Royal Phuket Marina, and Yacht Haven – if arriving to Phuket by boat.
Whats not so good about Chalong:
- The shoreline’s muddy nature makes it less appealing for beach activities.
- Might not cater to those seeking traditional beach resort experiences.
Why stay in Chalong:
Choosing Chalong means positioning yourself in an area that’s perfect for island hopping. Its proximity to both sea and land-based attractions like the Big Buddha and Wat Chalong makes it a uniquely versatile location.
Things to do in Chalong:
- Set sail for island hopping adventures from Ao Chalong Pier.
- Explore the lush Phuket Botanic Gardens.
- Discover the spiritual heritage at Wat Chalong Temples.
- Head up the hill to see Big Buddha.
Here’s my list of the best places to stay in Chalong
Budget Hotel & Hostels in Chalong
The Lantern Hostel offers incredible value for money. If you are travelling with a large family or a group of friends, you can get a suite or an apartment that accommodates up to 10 guests. Of course, suites for one or two people are also available. There is a charming outdoor garden area to hang out in, and a restaurant that serves authentic Thai food.
One of the most underrated budget hotels near Phuket Town is the newly-built WOW PHUKET. Each room has a stylish design with a balcony that looks onto the swimming pool. It’s not uncommon to find digital nomads staying here for a month or two. The hotel is located three kilometres from Chalong Pier, making it convenient for day trips.
Mid- Range and & Family Friendly Hotels in Chalong
The resort includes an infinity pool overlooking the sea, a shuttle service to Karon Beach, and a beach-side restaurant serving seafood, Thai and Western dishes. Rooms and villas each have a balcony and feature classic wooden furnishings. Villas offer a separate living and dining area from the bedroom.
With two outdoor pools and a spa, Coco Retreat Phuket Resort is a place to unwind. There’s a tour desk to easily organise day trips, an on-site restaurant and bar, laundry services, and a 24-hour front desk. The family room features a unique design and comes with a kitchenette and lounge area.
Luxury Hotels in Chalong
Noku Phuket is the best luxury hotel in Chalong. Surrounded by luscious green gardens, the room choices range from loft studios to 4-bedroom villas. Regardless of which option you choose, you can expect both sophistication and seclusion. The restaurant can easily cater to any dietary requirements, and the staff are always ready to assist with any request.
Final Thoughts: Best areas to stay Phuket
Phuket is one of the most wonderful place to stay, with plenty of amazing accommodation choices. Whether you want to escape on a luxury holiday or explore the city’s cultural highlights, you can find the perfect place for you.
So don’t wait and book your stay in Phuket now! Enjoy a unique and memorable experience, full of fun activities and delicious food.
Make sure it’s an unforgettable trip by booking the best hotel for your dream journey. Goodbye Phuket – until next time!
FAQ for Where to stay in Phuket Thailand
Is it better to stay in Phuket or Patong?
Phuket town is great for shopping, history and culture where as Patong is party central. Patong also offers some great night markets for shopping but it can be pretty overwhelming as vendors really want you to buy from them.
Which side of Phuket has the best beaches?
There are beautiful beaches all over Phuket and Thailand in general. The beaches for swimming would be in Karon, Kata and Nai Harn. Kata, Freedom, and Banana beaches are the more ideal for snorkelling. Kamala and Rawai beaches are great for relaxation although Kamala can be a little busier at times.
How many days in Phuket is enough?
If you’re wondering how many days do you need in Phuket? You could easily spend 2 days in Phuket, 2 weeks or 2 months and still not see or do everything.
Most people generally stay in Phuket for 4-7 days, depending where they are travelling from. Personally I think & days in Phuket is perfect, you can see a few sights and still get some time to relax.
If you’d like to save it for later, please save it to Pinterest.