Japan is a modern Asian country with an ancient culture and fascinating history. The capital city of Tokyo is home to about ten million people. Other major cities in Japan include Osaka, Nagoya, Kobe, and Kyoto. Japan has some of the best technology and the fastest bullet trains, but also maintains the original culture, especially in places like Kyoto, which is known for temples and geisha culture.
QUICK JAPAN FACTS
Currency: Japanese Yen can be withdrawn from ATMs throughout Japan, however keep in mind that smaller cities or towns may not have access to ATMs and its recommended to withdraw cash and take it with you.
Power Points: Most power points are the same as North American power points (2 flat prongs). Obviously I would recommend you take a Travel Adapter.
Official Language: The official language of Japan is Japanese.
Health: The only major health concerns in Japan for travellers is Japanese encephalitis occurs in Japan’s rural areas. I would recommend that you contact your doctor a few weeks before you travel as in some cases you need to start any medication a few days before your trip or you may need to get a vaccination. The tap water is generally safe to drink.
Unsure about travelling during COVID? Check out the COVID travel requirements and restrictions for Japan.
Articles on Japan
Looking for a particular destination, see below otherwise you can go to Japan Travel Guide to view current posts
- Historic Towns in Japan You Simply Must Visit
- A Bite-Size Guide to Okinawa Prefecture Japan!
- 5 day Itinerary for Japan
- Budget Travel Guide for Japan
- 10 Dishes you Must Try in Japan
- Where to Stay in Tokyo Japan
- A few of the Coolest Things to do in Tokyo + Day trips From Tokyo
- Budget Guide for Tokyo
- 48 Hours in Tokyo – A 2 Day Itinerary
- Luxury Travel Guide to Tokyo
- The Best Day Trips from Tokyo
- A Day at Universal Studio Japan – Photo Blog!
- Universal Port Hotel – The Best Hotel When Visiting Universal Studios Japan!
- Ultimate Guide to Minions, Harry Potter and Halloween at Universal Studios Japan in Osaka
- Where to stay in Osaka Japan
- 16 Exciting Things to do in Kyoto
- Best Day Trips from Kyoto – Japan
- Where to stay in Kyoto
- 48 Hours in Kyoto – 2 Day Itinerary
- Where to stay in Oita Prefecture
- 18 Things to do in Oita, Japan – That People Actually Do!
- The Ultimate Travel Guide to Oita, Japan
- 3 days in Oita Prefecture + a stop in Tokyo
- Where to stay in Matsuyama
- Ultimate Travel Guide to Matsuyama
- 48 hours in Matsuyama – 2 Day Itinerary
- 18 Things to do in Matsuyama – That People Actually Do!