As an Aussie who often visits Auckland and New Zealand, I understand the difficulty in finding a place to stay. With all of the different options available, it can be hard to know what accommodations fit your needs and budget best.
That’s why I’m here to help! From hotels near the airport to hostels downtown and everything in between, there’s something for everyone looking to experience Auckland.
Plus, as a traveller myself, I’ve done extensive research on where to stay in Auckland so you can trust that my recommendations are reliable and trustworthy.
So if you’re looking for somewhere comfortable and affordable for your next visit to Auckland, you’ve come to the right place!
Where is the best place to stay in Auckland, New Zealand, you ask? Well, this city is a popular spot with many great areas to offer depending on your travel preference.
Auckland is the largest city in New Zealand, located on the North Island. It’s a vibrant and diverse city with a stunning natural landscape, a rich cultural heritage, and a thriving arts and culinary scene.
Known as the “City of Sails” due to its picturesque harbors, coastline, and numerous islands, we are here to help you decide where to stay in Auckland during your visit.
The city is surrounded by stunning beaches, including Piha, Muriwai, and Takapuna, where you can explore the coastal trails and find the iconic dormant volcano, a popular hiking destination in Rangitoto Island, offering breathtaking views and a beautiful experience.
Offering a wide range of outdoor activities for adventure enthusiasts, from kayaking and bungee jumping to more unique experiences like skydiving or jet boating. Within a few hours’ drive, you can explore the geothermal wonders of Rotorua, the beautiful Bay of Islands, or the majestic landscapes of the Coromandel Peninsula.
New Zealand has a strong indigenous Maori culture, and Auckland provides opportunities to learn about and experience it firsthand. The Auckland War Memorial Museum showcases Maori artifacts and offers cultural performances.
You can also visit the authentic Maori village of Ohinemutu or participate in a cultural tour to learn about traditional customs, art, and the Haka dance.
If you are a lover of all things food, look no further. Auckland boasts a thriving foodie scene with a diverse range of cuisines. From fresh seafood to innovative fusion dishes, you can indulge in a variety of flavors. Auckland is surrounded by world-class wine regions, such as Waiheke Island and Matakana, where you can sample local wines and enjoy stunning vineyard landscapes.
The city is home to numerous art galleries, museums, and theaters, showcasing both local and international talent. The Auckland Art Gallery houses an impressive collection of New Zealand and international art. The Auckland Philharmonia Orchestra, the New Zealand Ballet, and the Auckland Theatre Company offer exceptional performances throughout the year.
The city also hosts various festivals and events, such as the Auckland Arts Festival and the Pasifika Festival. Queen Street is the main shopping strip, featuring international brands and department stores.
For a more eclectic and local experience, visit the Otara Market or the Victoria Park Market, where you can find unique crafts, clothing, and local produce.
Auckland combines urban sophistication with breathtaking natural beauty, housing some of the best places to stay in New Zealand. Whether you’re interested in culture, outdoor adventures, or simply enjoying good food and wine, Auckland offers something for everyone, providing a unique travel experience.
Below are 13 of the best neighborhoods in Auckland to stay in, and to help you make the right decision when trying to work out best areas to stay in Auckland for you. We have tried to make the guide as easy to follow as possible.
We have also included some things to do or places to visit as well as some eatery suggestions of either our favourite places or some funky places to eat at within the areas in Auckland so you can use this as a go to guide to pick the best accommodation in Auckland for you.
Plan your trip?
Avoid hidden fees in the exchange rate while withdrawing from millions of ATMs abroad, paying in restaurants and shops, and buying your accommodation and flights using the Wise Card. You can hold up to 40+ currencies at once to spend in in over 150 countries, and convert them in real time with the free Wise app.
Need help planning your trip from start to finish? Check out these helpful links:
- Cheap flights
- Savings on accommodation from hostels to luxury hotels
- Affordable car rental options
- Affordable sightseeing tours and day trips
- Travel Adapter – All in one so you don’t have to carry a bunch around
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Auckland CBD – Where to stay in Auckland for first timers.
Auckland CBD, the Central Business District, is the heart of Auckland, and it’s a great place to stay as a first-time visitor.
This busy area provides a convenient and vibrant experience, with easy access to transportation, attractions, shopping, dining, and entertainment options.
It’s a great starting point to explore the city and its surroundings while enjoying the lively atmosphere of the city center.
Why stay in Auckland CBD?
Auckland CBD is conveniently located in the city center, making it easy to access major attractions, transportation hubs, and amenities. It serves as a hub for public transportation allowing you to explore the city and its surroundings with ease.
Since it’s situated on the Waitemata Harbour, offering stunning waterfront views. You can take a ferry to the charming seaside village of Devonport or explore the volcanic island of Rangitoto or Waiheke.
The CBD is close to the Sky Tower, where you can enjoy some of the best panoramic views in Auckland, and the Auckland Domain, a large park offering green spaces and gardens. The iconic Auckland Harbour Bridge is a prominent feature, and you can even try the Bridge Climb or the bungee jump for an adrenaline rush.
There are a wide range of hotels in Auckland CBD options to suit different budgets and preferences. Many accommodations offer stunning views of the city skyline or the harbor. As a visitor, you’ll be surrounded by plenty of shopping and dining options.
The Britomart precinct is known for its high-end fashion boutiques and trendy eateries. From fine dining restaurants to casual cafes and food courts, you’ll find a diverse range of cuisines to satisfy your taste buds.
The City of Sails comes alive with entertainment and nightlife, the area is dotted with theaters, cinemas, and live music venues where you can catch a show, watch a movie, or enjoy a live performance. The vibrant Viaduct Harbour is known for its waterfront bars, clubs, and restaurants, offering a lively nightlife scene.
Staying in the main business district gives you easy access to some of the city’s cultural and historical landmarks. You can visit the Auckland Art Gallery, housing an impressive collection of New Zealand and international art. The Auckland Museum, showcases the country’s history and Maori culture.
Overall, if this is your first time visiting we feel this particular area is possibly the best place to stay in Auckland thanks to everything it has to offer and its wonderful convenience to the surrounding areas, since you’re in Auckland Central.
Things to do in Auckland CBD:
- Visit the iconic Sky Tower and try the SkyWalk or SkyJump.
- Explore the extensive collection of art at the Auckland Art Gallery.
- Head to Viaduct Harbour.
- Wander along Queen Street, Auckland’s main shopping strip.
- Take a ferry ride from the Auckland Ferry Terminal to explore the nearby islands.
- Check out the Auckland War Memorial Museum.
- Discover the trendy Britomart Precinct, a revitalized area with a mix of shops, bars, and restaurants housed in beautifully restored heritage buildings.
- Take a break from the city buzz and relax in Albert Park, a beautiful green space in the CBD.
- Catch a show at the historic Civic Theatre, a stunningly restored venue known for its grand architecture and lavish interiors.
- Visit the Auckland High Court is worth considering.
Best places to stay in Auckland CBD
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Auckland CBD
Budget accommodation in Auckland CBD
Mid range accommodation in Auckland CBD
- Ramada Suites Victoria Street West
- SkyCity Hotel Auckland
- Rydges Auckland
- Four Points by Sheraton Auckland
Family Friendly accommodation in Auckland CBD
- Grand Millennium Auckland
- Holiday Inn Express Auckland City Centre
- Avani Metropolis Auckland Residences
- Quest on Hobson Serviced Apartments
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Auckland CBD
Auckland Viaduct Harbour – Where to stay in Auckland for tourists
The best place to stay in Auckland for tourists is the Viaduct Harbour. It offers a combination of natural beauty, dining, entertainment, and convenience since it is located in Auckland CBD.
With its waterfront location, lively atmosphere, and proximity to attractions, it provides an enjoyable and memorable experience during your visit to Auckland.
Why stay in Auckland Viaduct Harbour?
Viaduct Harbour is situated on the Waitemata Harbour, providing picturesque views of the water and the city skyline. It’s a beautiful setting that offers a relaxed and scenic atmosphere. The area is renowned for its diverse range of dining options. From upscale restaurants to casual eateries and lively bars, Viaduct Harbour caters to all tastes.
The vibrant nightlife scene offers entertainment options ranging from live music venues to clubs and lounges. This Harbour is a hub for marine activities, it’s home to numerous luxury yachts, sailboats, and charter vessels. Stroll along the marina and admire the impressive boats or even rent a yacht or book a sailing excursion to explore the harbor.
There are a range of options for accommodation in the Auckland Viaduct Harbour to suit different budgets and preferences. Staying here gives you easy access to many popular attractions like The Auckland CBD, Sky Tower, Auckland Art Gallery, and Queen Street shopping district are all within walking distance.
The Auckland Ferry Terminal is also nearby, allowing you to easily explore nearby islands such as Waiheke Island and Rangitoto Island. Don’t miss out on the craziness when the area comes alive during regattas, boat shows, and cultural celebrations thanks to the various events and festivals hosted throughout the year.
Viaduct Harbour is a pedestrian-friendly area, making it easy to explore on foot. It’s well-connected to public transportation options, including buses and trains. The Britomart Transport Centre, located nearby, serves as a major transportation hub, making it convenient to explore other parts of Auckland and beyond.
When you mix convenience, attractions, beautiful scenery and various options for dining and accommodation, we concluded that the Viaduct Harbour is the best area to stay in Auckland as an avid tourist compared to its lovely counterparts, housing the best night views in Auckland.
Things to do in Auckland Viaduct Harbour:
- Visit the marina and do some boat watching.
- Embark on a harbor cruise from Viaduct Harbour and explore the Waitemata Harbor.
- Rent a kayak or a stand-up paddleboard and explore the harbor at your own pace.
- Try sailing or take a guided jet boat ride for a thrilling experience.
- Check out the various events and festivals throughout the year.
- Visit the New Zealand Maritime Museum.
- Experience the vibrant nightlife.
- Find a comfortable spot along the promenade of Silo Park.
Best places to stay in Auckland Viaduct Harbour
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Auckland Viaduct Harbour
Budget accommodation in Auckland Viaduct Harbour
- QV Heart of the City (860)
- Waterfront Location, CBD l Free Wifi l Aircon
- Studio Apartment on Princes Wharf
- Sun Kissed Apartment with Panoramic Views
Mid range accommodation in Auckland Viaduct Harbour
- The Sebel Auckland Viaduct Harbour
- The Golden Hour Penthouse
- Fable Auckland, MGallery
- Mövenpick Hotel Auckland
Family Friendly accommodation in Auckland Viaduct Harbour
- Auckland Harbour Suites
- Hotel Grand Chancellor – Auckland City
- Quest on Queen Serviced Apartments
- M Social Auckland
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Auckland Viaduct Harbour
Ponsonby – Where to stay in Auckland for foodies
Ponsonby is a trendy and vibrant suburb of Auckland, located just west of the Auckland CBD. It is known for its thriving food and dining scene, making it an excellent choice for foodies.
This particular area provides an immersive and exciting culinary experience, with its diverse dining options, award-winning restaurants, food markets, and festivals.
Ponsonby offers a fantastic range of choices to satisfy any food lover’s cravings and for travelers looking for the best place to stay in Auckland, New Zealand with a preference for all things tasty.
Why stay in Ponsonby?
Let’s just get straight to the good part. Ponsonby is a food lover’s paradise with a wide range of culinary offerings and great accommodation in Auckland.
From upscale restaurants to casual eateries, cafes, and street food stalls, you’ll find an abundance of dining options representing diverse cuisines from around the world. Whether you’re craving Italian, Japanese, Thai, Indian, or fusion cuisine, Ponsonby has everything you need to get those taste buds activated.
Boasting numerous award-winning restaurants and chefs, making it a destination for exceptional dining experiences. Many establishments in the area focus on using fresh local ingredients and showcase innovative culinary techniques. You can indulge in fine dining experiences, tasting menus, and chef-led cooking adventures.
Just another reason to add why we love this spot is its renowned brunch culture, many cafes and eateries in the area offer delectable brunch menus with creative and Instagram-worthy dishes.
Expect regular food markets and festivals throughout the year, The Ponsonby Central Market is a popular spot to discover fresh produce, artisanal products, and tasty treats.
Ponsonby is home to many craft breweries and trendy bars, making it an ideal place to explore the local beer and cocktail scene. The area offers a mix of lively bars, rooftop venues, and cozy pubs for every taste.
This neighborhood allows you to easily access food tour experiences. Join a guided culinary tour and discover the neighborhood’s best-kept foodie secrets.
Ponsonby’s charm extends beyond its dining scene. You can spend your days exploring stylish stores and enjoy the laid-back, artistic atmosphere that Ponsonby is famous for.
While Ponsonby itself is a culinary delight, it’s also conveniently located near other popular Auckland attractions which are easily accessible if the need arises to experience other culinary delights.
By far, Ponsonby wins as the best place to stay in Auckland for any traveling foodie who intends to make the most of New Zealand’s cuisine.
Things to do in Ponsonby:
- Stroll along Ponsonby Road and browse through the various stores.
- The Ponsonby Central Market is a very popular and local spot.
- Explore the local bars, pubs, and music venues where you can catch live performances by local musicians and bands.
- Explore the contemporary art scene and discover unique pieces.
- Located in the heart of Ponsonby, Western Park is a beautiful green space where you can relax and enjoy nature.
- Explore Grey Lynn and Herne Bay.
- Treat yourself to some self-care in Ponsonby, with wellness centers, spas, and beauty salons.
Best places to stay in Ponsonby
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Ponsonby
Budget accommodation in Ponsonby
- Ponsonby 3 Bed close to City l Free Parking
- Spacious Apartment with Views and car park
- Peaceful apartment at Victoria Park
- QV City Fringe with Carpark (890)
Mid range accommodation in Ponsonby
Family Friendly accommodation in Ponsonby
- Quest on Beaumont
- Downtown Townhouse Special
- Ponsonby delight with Wi-fi and Free Parking
- Stunning Home steps to Ponsonby – Netflix – WIFI
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Ponsonby
Takapuna (North Shore) – Where to stay in Auckland for relaxed vibes
Takapuna is a charming coastal suburb located on Auckland’s North Shore, known for its relaxed vibes and beautiful beach. If you’re looking for a laid-back atmosphere and a place to unwind, Takapuna is an excellent choice.
Offering a blend of beautiful beaches, boutique shopping, and a laid-back atmosphere, it’s an ideal place to stay if you’re seeking a relaxed coastal vibe while still being within reach of city amenities. Takapuna provides a tranquil and rejuvenating experience, if that is your focus.
Why stay in Takapuna (North Shore)?
Takapuna Beach is one of Auckland’s most popular and picturesque beaches, if you are an avid beach lover and coastal seeker then we recommend this spot as the best place to stay in Auckland, New Zealand if sandy toes are your go to.
The sandy shoreline stretches for miles, providing ample space for sunbathing, swimming, and beach activities. The beach offers stunning views of Rangitoto Island and the Hauraki Gulf, creating a tranquil and scenic setting for relaxation.
This area is a hub for water sports and outdoor activities from paddleboarding, kayaking, and windsurfing, or maybe join a sailing excursion to explore the surrounding waters. There are also beach volleyball courts and ample space for beachside picnics and barbecues.
Indulge in retail therapy, Takapuna is known for its boutique shops, trendy cafes, and local eateries. The main shopping precinct, Hurstmere Road, offers a variety of stores selling fashion, homeware, art, and more.
Every Sunday, the Takapuna Market takes place at the Takapuna Primary School. The market offers a wide range of stalls selling fresh produce, local crafts, clothing, and more. It’s a great place to soak up the community atmosphere and discover unique products.
This neighborhood features a scenic promenade that runs alongside the beach, offering a perfect spot for walks and bike rides. Just a short drive away, you’ll find destinations like the stunning Waitemata Harbour, Lake Pupuke, and the bush-clad trails of the nearby North Shore Coastal Walkway.
These areas provide opportunities for peaceful walks, birdwatching, and exploring the region’s flora and fauna.
While Takapuna provides a peaceful retreat, it’s also conveniently located near the Auckland CBD. Just a short drive or a quick bus ride away, you can easily access the city’s attractions, shopping districts, and entertainment options.
This allows you to enjoy the best of both worlds, with a relaxed base in Takapuna and easy access to the vibrant city center.
Things to do in Takapuna (North Shore):
- Spend a day at Takapuna Beach, one of Auckland’s most popular beaches.
- Rent paddleboards, kayaks, or surfboards from the local surf schools and explore the waters around Takapuna Beach.
- Embark on the North Shore Coastal Walkway.
- Explore the shops and boutiques at Takapuna Central.
- Take a self-guided walk through the Devonport-Takapuna area and discover its rich history.
- If you’re visiting on a Sunday, make sure to check out the Takapuna Market at the Takapuna Primary School.
- Just a short distance from Takapuna, you’ll find Lake Pupuke, a volcanic crater lake surrounded by lush greenery.
- Take a short ferry ride from Takapuna to Devonport Village, a charming seaside suburb with a rich maritime history.
- Climb to the top of Mount Victoria or North Head for panoramic views of the city skyline and harbor.
- Check the local event listings to see if there are any events aligning with your visit.
Best places to stay in Takapuna
Budget accommodation in Takapuna
Mid range accommodation in Takapuna
- Pupuke Manor Motel
- Chic – Modern Takapuna Apt – WiFi – 2Free Carparks
- New modern townhouse in the heart of Takapuna
- Poenamo Hotel
Family Friendly accommodation in Takapuna
Devonport – Where to stay in Auckland for 2 nights
Devonport is a picturesque seaside suburb located on the North Shore of Auckland. Staying in Devonport for a two-night trip offers a blend of history, natural beauty, and a relaxed seaside atmosphere.
Whether you’re exploring the historic village, enjoying the stunning beaches, or venturing out to Auckland City via the ferry, Devonport provides a peaceful base for your stay while still offering convenient access to nearby attractions.
Why stay in Devonport?
Devonport is known for its well-preserved Victorian and Edwardian architecture, giving it a unique and timeless charm. The main street, Victoria Road, is lined with historic buildings, boutique shops, art galleries, and cafes.
Cheltenham Beach and Narrow Neck Beach are popular choices for swimming, sunbathing, and picnicking.
This seaside favorite is home to two volcanic cones, Mount Victoria and North Head, which offer panoramic views of the Auckland skyline, Waitemata Harbour, and Rangitoto Island. It’s an ideal spot for nature lovers and photographers.
As a historic maritime village, Devonport has a rich naval history. Visit the Devonport Naval Base, and learn about the country’s heritage.
Devonport is conveniently connected to downtown Auckland by a regular ferry service. The short 12-minute ferry ride offers stunning views of the harbor and is a convenient way to explore the attractions and activities of the city center.
This neighborhood is known for its boutique shops, art galleries, and local crafts. Explore along Victoria Road, where you can find fashion, homeware, jewelry, and local artworks. The area is also home to various art galleries, showcasing the works of local artists..
Offering a range of cafes and restaurants, Devonport provides a diverse food experience. From casual cafes to upscale dining establishments, you can find a variety of cuisines and flavors to suit your taste.
One of the main reasons to stay in Devonport is the peaceful and relaxed ambiance. The suburb offers a slower pace of life compared to the bustling city center, allowing you to unwind and rejuvenate.
If your visit is short and sweet, or you merely plan to see as much as possible, we feel Devonport is the best area to stay in Auckland for a quick trip or even a little weekend getaway.
Things to do in Devonport:
- Explore the tunnels at North Head, an historic volcanic cone.
- Take a walk to the top of Mount Victoria, another volcanic cone in Devonport.
- Visit the Devonport Naval Base, New Zealand’s largest naval facility.
- Explore the Torpedo Bay Navy Museum.
- Stroll down Cheltenham Beach, a stunning sandy beach known for its tranquility. (Popular during the summer months)
- Take a walk along Victoria Road, and explore the Devonport charming village atmosphere.
- If you’re visiting on the first Sunday of the month, head to the Devonport Craft Market held at the Devonport Community House.
- Hop on a ferry and enjoy a scenic ride across the harbor to downtown Auckland.
Best places to stay in Devonport
Budget accommodation in Devonport
Mid range accommodation in Devonport
Family Friendly accommodation in Devonport
- Ocean Breeze Hotel
- The Esplanade Hotel
- Devonport Charm house
- Mahoe Apartment, Heart of Devonport Village
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Devonport
Parnell – Where to stay in Auckland for Nature lovers (near the city)
Parnell, located just east of Auckland’s central business district, is a historic and picturesque suburb that offers a delightful blend of natural beauty and charm.
As a nature lover, you can enjoy the peacefulness of the Auckland Domain, wander through beautiful Parnell rose gardens also known as the Dove-Myer Robinson Park, and explore the scenic coastal areas nearby.
With its vibrant village atmosphere and access to stunning natural spaces, staying in Parnell provides an excellent opportunity to immerse yourself in nature while still being within reach of the city’s amenities.
Why stay in Parnell?
Parnell is home to the Auckland Domain, one of the city’s largest and most beautiful parks. This expansive green space features lush gardens, open fields, and walking trails, providing ample opportunities to connect with nature.
You’ll find the Wintergardens, which house a variety of exotic plants and flowers. The park also offers fantastic views of the city skyline and is a perfect spot for a picnic.
Located within the Auckland Domain, the Auckland Rose Park is a haven for rose enthusiasts and nature lovers. The gardens boast over 5,000 roses in different varieties, colors, and fragrances. If you enjoy swimming or relaxing by the water, Parnell Baths is a popular spot to visit.
Situated on the edge of the sparkling Waitemata Harbour, these saltwater pools provide a refreshing place to take a dip while enjoying stunning views of the harbor and the Auckland skyline.
Bordered by the picturesque Hobson Bay, the Hobson Bay Walkway offers a scenic route to explore this coastal area. The walkway takes you along the water’s edge, providing views of the bay, mangroves, and various bird species.
You will also find the Parnell Village which has a unique charm with its historic buildings, boutique shops, art galleries, and cafes.
After exploring the natural attractions, you can wander through the village and indulge in some retail therapy, browse through art displays, or savor a cup of coffee in one of the cozy cafes. The village retains a village-like ambiance, providing a refreshing escape from the bustling city.
You can easily access the Auckland waterfront, walk along the scenic Tamaki Drive, or venture further afield to neighboring areas. We recommend this spot houses some of the best hotels in Auckland.
Things to do in Parnell:
- Explore Parnell Village.
- Take a walk through the beautiful Parnell Rose Gardens.
- Explore the expansive Auckland Domain.
- Visit the Parnell Galleries that showcases contemporary New Zealand art.
- Visit the Jonathan Grant Galleries focus on historical and modern artworks.
- The New Zealand School of Art offers exhibitions and workshops.
- Visit St. Mary’s Church, one of Auckland’s oldest churches and a significant heritage site.
- If you’re visiting on a Saturday morning, don’t miss the Parnell Farmers’ Market.
- Situated in the Parnell Rose Gardens, the Auckland Rose Society Garden showcases an extensive collection of roses.
- Visit the Parnell Baths, a saltwater pool complex that offers a great place to swim, relax, and soak up the sun.
- Explore the Coastal Walkway.
Best places to stay in Parnell
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Parnell
Budget accommodation in Parnell
- Parnell Pines Hotel
- One Bedroom Apartment
- Cheerfull Modern 2 Bedroom Townhouse with Patio in Parnell
Mid range accommodation in Parnell
- The Parnell Hotel & Conference Centre
- 1920s Classic Cozy 2-Bedroom Villa Apartment in Parnell
- A-frame Studio in Parnell
- Private 2BR – Paradise in Parnell
Family Friendly accommodation in Parnell
Newmarket – Where to stay in Auckland with family
Newmarket is a vibrant and family-friendly suburb that makes an excellent choice to visit since we feel it’s one of the best areas to stay in Auckland with a family in tow. It offers a diverse range of activities, shopping opportunities, and family-friendly amenities.
With its proximity to parks, playgrounds, attractions, and convenient transportation options, staying in Newmarket provides a comfortable and enjoyable experience for families visiting Auckland.
Why stay in Newmarket?
Wondering where to stay in Auckland with a family? Do you have a couple kids looking for an adventure? Newmarket is known as one of Auckland’s premier shopping destinations and a great area to take the family.
The suburb is home to a variety of different shops and a fantastic selection of family-friendly restaurants, cafes, and eateries.
The area is well-connected to public transportation, including trains and buses, making it easy to explore other parts of Auckland with your family. The Newmarket Train Station provides convenient access to downtown Auckland and other destinations, allowing you to easily venture out for day trips or excursions.
Newmarket is conveniently located near many family-friendly attractions. The Auckland Zoo allows you and the family to explore a wide variety of animals and participate in exhibits and shows. The area boasts a bunch of parks and playgrounds where children can burn off some energy and have fun.
The Olympic Park Playground features various play equipment, a skate park, and sports fields, providing entertainment for kids of all ages. Other nearby parks, such as the Newmarket Park and Birdwood Reserve, offer open spaces for outdoor games and relaxation.
Additionally, the Stardome Observatory and Planetarium in nearby Cornwall Park offer an opportunity to learn about astronomy and the wonders of the universe.
This shopping haven offers a range of accommodation options suitable for families that come with family-friendly amenities such as swimming pools, play areas, and babysitting services. Its central location makes it a convenient base for exploring other attractions in Auckland.
The suburb is just a short distance from downtown Auckland, where you can visit popular spots. It’s also within easy reach of beaches, regional parks, and other family-friendly destinations in the greater Auckland area.
Things to do in Newmarket:
- Stroll along Broadway and Nuffield Street to explore the diverse range of shops on offer.
- Take some time to relax and enjoy the beautiful Auckland Domain, one of Auckland’s largest parks
- Enjoy the Wintergardens, which house a range of exotic plants and flowers.
- Catch the latest blockbuster or enjoy an art-house film at Event Cinemas in Newmarket.
- Visit Lumsden Green.
- Visit galleries such as Parnell Gallery, Anna Miles Gallery, or the Melanie Roger Gallery.
- Keep an eye out for local events and festivals happening in Newmarket.
- Treat yourself to a relaxing spa experience in one of the wellness centers or day spas.
- Cornwall Park, and the iconic One Tree Hill, is just a short distance away.
Best places to stay in Newmarket
Budget accommodation in Newmarket
Mid range accommodation in Newmarket
Family Friendly accommodation in Newmarket
Mission Bay – Where to stay in Auckland for beach lovers
Mission Bay is just a short drive from Auckland’s city center and one of the best places to stay in Auckland if you’re a seaside-lover. Staying here as a beach-addict provides an ideal setting to enjoy the sun, sand, and sea.
With its beautiful beach, range of water sports activities, beachfront cafes and restaurants, and nearby parks, Mission Bay offers a relaxed and enjoyable beachside experience.
Why stay in Mission Bay?
Mission Bay boasts a stunning sandy beach that stretches along the waterfront. If you’re an active beachgoer, Mission Bay offers various water sports and activities to enjoy.
You can rent paddle boards, kayaks, or even try your hand at windsurfing. The calm waters of the bay make it an ideal spot for these activities, whether you’re a beginner or experienced enthusiast.
The beachfront promenade is lined with a fantastic selection of cafes, restaurants, and ice cream shops. Mission Bay is part of the Auckland waterfront, which offers a scenic coastal walkway stretching from St. Heliers Bay to the Auckland city center. If you prefer cycling, there are bike rental facilities available for exploring the waterfront on two wheels.
Mission Bay features parks and picnic areas where you can relax and enjoy the outdoors. Selwyn Reserve, located adjacent to the beach, offers shady spots, picnic tables, and barbecue facilities, making it a perfect spot for a family picnic or a casual gathering with friends.
The location makes it a convenient base for exploring other attractions in the area. You can take a ferry from nearby Downtown Auckland to visit the iconic Rangitoto Island, or you can head to Kelly Tarlton’s Sea Life Aquarium, located a short drive away, to explore an underwater world filled with fascinating marine creatures.
Things to do in Mission Bay:
- The main attraction in Mission Bay is, of course, the beach itself.
- You can rent paddle boards, kayaks, or even try your hand at windsurfing.
- Book a jet ski ride or go on a fishing charter.
- Take a stroll or rent a bike and explore the waterfront promenade.
- Mission Bay features a couple of great parks and picnic areas.
- Visit Kelly Tarlton’s Sea Life Aquarium.
- Right next to Mission Bay beach, you’ll find a mini-golf course that offers fun for all ages.
- Throughout the year, Mission Bay hosts various events and festivals, such as outdoor movie screenings, live music performances, and cultural celebrations.
- Take a ferry from nearby Downtown Auckland to visit Rangitoto Island.
- Venture to nearby suburbs like St. Heliers or Kohimarama and explore their beaches, parks, and shops.
Best places to stay in Mission Bay
Budget accommodation in Mission Bay
Mid range accommodation in Mission Bay
- Kohi Beach Bed & Breakfast
- Terry and Cindy’s Bed and Breakfast
- Edmund Cottage
- Convenient Modern 2-Bedroom Unit with Free Parking
Family Friendly accommodation in Mission Bay
- Stay Coastal – Mission Bay
- Nautical Nook Bed and Breakfast
- Mission Bay Secret Garden Hideaway – Netflix WIFI
- Cozy Spacious Villa 100m to the beach
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Mission Bay
Mount Eden – Where to stay in Auckland for hikers
Mount Eden, also known as Maungawhau, is a dormant volcanic cone and a suburb located just a few kilometers south of Auckland’s city center.
With its scenic walking tracks, panoramic views, and peaceful environment, Mount Eden offers a chance to reconnect with nature while being close to the city.
Immerse yourself in the natural beauty and cultural significance of Mount Eden while enjoying the convenience of nearby amenities and attractions.
Why stay in Mount Eden?
Mount Eden offers a fantastic hiking experience for nature enthusiasts. The volcanic cone provides a unique landscape with walking tracks that lead to the summit. The hike to the top of Mount Eden is relatively easy and suitable for hikers of all fitness levels.
Once you reach the summit, you’ll be rewarded with breathtaking panoramic views of Auckland city and its surroundings.
At the summit of Mount Eden, you’ll find the impressive Maungawhau crater, which is the remnants of a volcanic eruption that occurred thousands of years ago. The crater offers a glimpse into Auckland’s volcanic past and serves as a reminder of the region’s geological history.
Mount Eden provides some of the best views in Auckland. From the summit, you can enjoy sweeping vistas of the city skyline, the Waitemata Harbour, and the surrounding landscapes.
Despite being close to the city center, Mount Eden offers a tranquil and serene environment. Mount Eden holds significant cultural importance to Maori, the indigenous people of New Zealand. Maungawhau is one of the region’s most sacred sites and is regarded as a spiritual place.
Mount Eden is surrounded by other parks and trails, offering additional hiking opportunities. Nearby attractions like Cornwall Park and One Tree Hill Domain provide more scenic walking tracks and beautiful parkland to explore.
Mount Eden itself is a charming neighborhood with a village-like atmosphere. It features tree-lined streets, beautiful houses, and a selection of cafes, restaurants, and boutique shops.
Things to do in Mount Eden:
- Hike to the summit of the volcanic cone.
- Explore the Maungawhau Crater, remnants of a volcanic eruption.
- Pack a picnic basket, bring a blanket, and spend a relaxing afternoon surrounded by nature on the volcanic slopes.
- Bring your camera and capture stunning photos of the city skyline and its scenic backdrop.
- Explore Eden Garden’s pathways and admire the diverse plant collections.
- Take a walk around the streets and admire the beautiful heritage houses and tree-lined avenues.
- Check out the Cornwall Park.
- Try local and international cuisines at the numerous cafes, restaurants, and eateries in the neighborhood.
Best places to stay in Mount Eden
Budget accommodation in Mount Eden
Mid range accommodation in Mount Eden
Family Friendly accommodation in Mount Eden
Sylvia Park / Mount wellington – Where to stay in Auckland like a local
Sylvia Park is a suburb located in the eastern part of Auckland, and is home to the largest shopping center in the country. You’ll have the opportunity to experience the local lifestyle, interact with residents, and enjoy the convenience of amenities and transport connections.
Whether it’s shopping at Sylvia Park, exploring the outdoors, attending local events, or discovering nearby attractions, staying in this suburb allows you to live like a local while enjoying the comforts and convenience of the area.
Why stay in Sylvia Park / Mount wellington?
Staying in Sylvia Park or Mount Wellington allows you to immerse yourself in a vibrant local community, whilst still being in close proximity to nearby areas.
You’ll have the opportunity to interact with residents, experience their way of life, and gain a deeper understanding of the local culture and customs. The suburb offers a mix of residential areas, shopping precincts, and recreational spaces, providing a well-rounded local experience.
This neighborhood is known for its large shopping center, Sylvia Park Shopping Centre, which offers a wide range of retail stores, restaurants, cafes, and entertainment options. Staying in the area provides convenient access to shopping for daily necessities, exploring local fashion, lifestyle brands and enjoying the diverse dining experiences.
It is well-connected in terms of transport infrastructure. The suburb has its own train station, Sylvia Park Station, which provides easy access to the city center and other parts of Auckland. The nearby Southern Motorway offers convenient road connections, allowing you to explore the wider Auckland region and beyond.
The surrounding area offers opportunities for outdoor recreation like Mount Wellington or nearby parks, such as Panmure Basin and Waikaraka Park, which are all great areas to relax in. This local area often hosts local events and activities that provide insight into the community spirit.
Keep an eye out for cultural festivals, food markets, live performances, and community gatherings happening in the area. Participating in these events allows you to connect with locals, learn about their traditions, and experience the neighborhood’s unique atmosphere.
Things to do in Sylvia Park / Mount wellington:
- Start your exploration by visiting Sylvia Park Shopping Centre, the largest shopping center in New Zealand.
- Embark on a hike to the summit of Mount Wellington, which offers stunning panoramic views of Auckland and its surrounding areas.
- Panmure Basin is a picturesque park with a tranquil lake, great for walks and picnics.
- Waikaraka Park is a popular spot for rugby and motorsport events.
- Visit the nearby Remuera Golf Club, which offers an 18-hole course in a picturesque setting.
Best places to stay in Mount Wellington
Budget accommodation in Mount Wellington
Mid range accommodation in Mount Wellington
Family Friendly accommodation in Mount Wellington
Piha – Where to stay in Auckland for Surfers
Piha is a small coastal village located on the west coast of the North Island, approximately 40 kilometers from Auckland. It is renowned for its rugged beauty, black sand beaches, and powerful surf, making it a popular destination for surfers.
Whether you’re a seasoned surfer or a beginner looking to catch your first wave, Piha offers a fantastic destination with its world-class surf breaks, stunning scenery, and a welcoming surfing community.
Embrace the thrill of the waves, enjoy the natural beauty of the area, and experience the relaxed beach lifestyle that Piha has to offer.
Why stay in Piha?
Piha Beach is home to one of New Zealand’s most iconic surf breaks. The beach attracts surfers from around the world who come to ride its powerful waves. The combination of the black iron sand and the unique topography of the area creates ideal conditions for surfing.
The waves at Piha can be quite challenging, especially during big swells, making it an exciting destination for experienced surfers seeking a thrilling ride.
The area offers a range of surfing conditions suitable for different skill levels. The beach provides consistent surf throughout the year, with larger waves during the winter months. There are also other nearby surf spots, such as Whites Beach and North Piha, that provide additional options for surfing.
Prepare yourself for a vibrant and welcoming surfing community. You’ll find a range of surf schools and local surf shops that offer equipment rentals, lessons, and guidance for surfers of all levels.
Take the time to explore the area outside of the surf breaks and enjoy the stunning coastal scenery, like the iconic Lion Rock formation creating a picturesque backdrop for your surfing adventures or explore nearby trails such as the Hillary Trail.
Or embark on bushwalks to discover the beauty of the Waitakere Ranges Regional Park. The area is also known for its breathtaking waterfalls, such as Kitekite Falls and Fairy Falls, where you can cool off after a day of surfing.
Piha has a laid-back beach lifestyle that allows you to unwind and escape from the city. Staying in Piha gives you the opportunity to embrace the slower pace, enjoy the simple pleasures of beach living, and soak up the sun while surrounded by natural beauty.
Things to do in Piha:
- Hit the waves and enjoy the excellent surf conditions Piha has to offer.
- Visit Lion Rock, an iconic landmark of Piha.
- Explore the Waitakere Ranges Regional Park, situated within the Waitakere Ranges.
- Take a hike through the forested tracks, such as the Kitekite Falls Track or the Mercer Bay Loop Track.
- Enjoy Piha Beach.
- Visit Karekare Beach, featured in the film “The Piano”.
- Kitekite Falls, an enchanted waterfall located just a short walk from the beach, is a popular spot.
- Visit Fairy Falls, another beautiful waterfall in the area.
- Capture the Sunset Views.
- Relax at Local Cafes and Eateries.
Best places to stay in Piha
Budget accommodation in Piha
Mid range accommodation in Piha
- The Hermitage Solo Retreat Cabin
- Piha Pool Pad – Piha Holiday Home
- Seaview, Sun and Surf – Piha Holiday Home
Family Friendly accommodation in Piha
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Piha
Manukau City Centre – Where to stay in Auckland for shopping
Manukau City Centre, located in the southern part of Auckland, is a vibrant and diverse shopping destination.
With its expansive shopping malls, diverse retail precinct, lively markets, and convenient accessibility, Manukau City Centre offers a compelling destination for shoppers.
Why stay in Manukau City Centre?
The centerpiece of Manukau City Centre’s shopping scene is Westfield Manukau, one of the largest shopping malls in New Zealand and houses just about anything.
This modern shopping complex also offers various dining options, entertainment facilities, and services, ensuring a comprehensive shopping experience.
Along Great South Road and surrounding streets, you’ll find a diverse array of stores offering unique products, local crafts, and specialty items. Known for its bustling markets that offer a lively shopping experience.
Visit the Otara Market, one of Auckland’s largest markets, where you can browse through stalls selling fresh produce, local crafts, clothing, and delicious street food. The market showcases the vibrant Pacific Island and Maori cultures, making it a unique shopping and cultural experience.
Staying in Manukau City Centre provides convenient access to a wide range of shops and amenities within a compact area. You can easily navigate between different stores, making shopping more efficient and enjoyable using the well-connected public transportation the city centre provides.
While primarily known for its shopping, Manukau City Centre is also conveniently located near popular attractions as mentioned above. For outdoor enthusiasts, the nearby Totara Park provides opportunities for walking, picnicking, and enjoying nature.
In addition to shopping, Manukau City Centre offers a range of entertainment options. Catch the latest blockbuster movies at the Event Cinemas complex within Westfield Manukau, or enjoy live performances at the Vodafone Events Centre.
This retail district caters to families, with various stores and facilities that offer products and services for children of all ages, families can find everything they need in one convenient location.
Things to do in Manukau City Centre:
- Explore the extensive Westfield Manukau shopping mall, which offers a wide range of stores.
- Head to the Otara Market, located near Manukau City Centre, for a vibrant and culturally rich shopping experience.
- Discover the Auckland Botanic Gardens, the gardens also host various events and workshops throughout the year.
- Visit the Mangere Arts Centre to experience exhibitions and performances.
- Attend Events at Vodafone Events Centre.
- Totara Park offers a beautiful natural setting for outdoor activities.
- Sit back and relax at Event Cinemas within Westfield Manukau.
- If you’re a sports enthusiast, check out the local sporting events happening in Manukau City Centre.
Best places to stay in Manukau City Centre
Budget accommodation in Manukau City Centre
Mid range accommodation in Manukau City Centre
- Proximity Apartments Manukau / Auckland Airport
- MCentral Apartments Manukau
- Manukau Motor Lodge
- Brand New 1 BR Apt by Vodafone Arena & WiFi
Family Friendly accommodation in Manukau City Centre
Auckland Airport – Where to stay near Auckland airport
The area around Auckland Airport, also known as Auckland Airport Precinct, is a convenient place to stay if you’re looking to be near the airport and still enjoy the activities or attractions nearby. It’s worth noting that it’s not as centrally located as other areas in Auckland.
If you’re looking to explore the city’s attractions and experience the vibrant city life, you may want to consider staying in other areas of Auckland and plan your transportation to and from the airport accordingly.
Why stay in Auckland Airport?
The Auckland Airport Precinct is located just a short distance from Auckland Airport, making it extremely convenient for travelers. If you have an early morning or late-night flight, staying in this area can save you time and stress by minimizing travel time to and from the airport.
Many hotels in the Auckland Airport Precinct offer shuttle services to and from the airport, further enhancing the convenience factor.
The Precinct offers a wide range of accommodation options to suit different budgets and preferences. From luxury hotels to budget-friendly motels, you’ll find a variety of choices in close proximity to the airport.
Some hotels even cater specifically to transit passengers, providing comfortable rooms and amenities for short stays. It is well-equipped with amenities and facilities to ensure a comfortable stay. Many hotels in the area provide 24-hour reception, airport transfers, onsite dining options, fitness centers, and conference facilities.
Staying near Auckland Airport gives you easy access to various transportation options. Apart from the airport shuttle services provided by hotels, there are also public transportation options available, such as buses and taxis, which can take you to different parts of Auckland city or surrounding areas.
Things to do in Auckland Airport:
- Butterfly Creek, located near the airport, is a popular family-friendly attraction.
- Just a short drive from the airport, Ambury Regional Park offers a picturesque coastal farm experience.
- Wine enthusiasts can visit Villa Maria Estate, located close to the airport.
- Located nearby, Mangere Mountain is an ancient volcanic cone and a significant Maori cultural site.
- Adjacent to Mangere Mountain, the Otuataua Stonefields is a preserved archaeological site showcasing the Maori and European history of the area.
- You can visit nearby shopping centers such as Dress-Smart Onehunga or the Auckland Airport Shopping Centre.
- Golf enthusiasts can visit one of the nearby golf courses, such as The Grange Golf Club or Akarana Golf Club, for a round of golf.
- One Tree Hill and Cornwall Park are beaches, located nearby and offer vast green spaces for picnics or walks.
Best places to stay in Auckland Airport
Budget accommodation in Auckland Airport
Mid range accommodation in Auckland Airport
- Best Western BKs Pioneer Motor Lodge
- Auckland Airport Lodge
- Sudima Auckland Airport
- Novotel Auckland Airport
Family Friendly accommodation in Auckland Airport
Added Extra: Areas to Avoid in Auckland
Auckland is generally a safe city, especially when deciding where to stay in Auckland, New Zealand. Like any other urban area, there are a few areas that are recommended to exercise caution or avoid, especially at night.
Parts of South Auckland, such as Manurewa, Mangere, and Otara, have higher crime rates compared to other areas in the city.
While central Auckland is generally safe during the day, it’s recommended to take precautions when walking alone at night, especially in less crowded areas. It’s always a good idea to use transportation options like taxis or rideshares, particularly late at night.
Queen Street and Karangahape Road, are popular areas in central Auckland, but they can sometimes attract a rowdy nightlife crowd.
Auckland has numerous beautiful public parks, such as Albert Park and Victoria Park, which are generally safe during the day. However, it’s recommended to avoid these parks at night, as they may attract occasional instances of antisocial behavior or petty crime.
FAQs About accommodation in Auckland New Zealand
What are the best areas to stay in Auckland New Zealand?
Auckland is divided into a number of different areas, making it easy for tourists and travellers to find their ideal place to stay. Popular neighbourhoods include Downtown Auckland, Ponsonby, Mount Eden, Grey Lynn and Kingsland. Each neighbourhood has its own unique character and attractions.
How do I get around Auckland?
Auckland is a very easy city to get around due to its compact nature and efficient public transport networks. There are buses, ferries, trains and even water taxis available for visitors to use. Walking around the city is also an option due to its pedestrian-friendly streets and parks.
What type of accommodation options are there in Auckland?
Accommodation in Auckland ranges from luxurious hotels to budget-friendly hostels and everything in between. From beachfront resorts in the North Shore’s Takapuna Beach area or cosy bed & breakfasts near Parnell village, there’s something for everyone!
Final Thoughts: where to stay in auckland nZ
Auckland is a destination unlike any other. With its beautiful mountain ranges, stunning coastline and vibrant city life, it has something to offer for everyone. Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway, a family holiday or just an escape from the mundane of everyday life, Auckland will welcome you with open arms.
The team at Travelling King knows that your stay in Auckland should be as perfect as possible, which is why we’ve hand-picked the best accommodation to suit all budgets and tastes. From luxury hotels to budget backpacker lodges, our selection of Auckland accommodation has something to offer everyone.
So what are you waiting for? Make plans to visit Auckland now and experience the beauty of New Zealand firsthand! Don’t forget to book your stay with Travelling King – after all, nothing beats first-hand knowledge when it comes to finding the perfect place to stay in Auckland NZ.
Read More on New Zealand:
- How To Travel New Zealand On A Budget
- The difference between skiing in Australia and skiing in New Zealand
- Australia or New Zealand? 7 Tips to simplify your decision
- 7 Must See New Zealand Beaches
- Ten Places To Visit In New Zealand
- Epic 3 day Itinerary for the North Island of New Zealand
- Auckland SkyJump – to be scared or not to be scared….
- The Most Scenic Drives on New Zealand North Island
- A Night In Auckland: The Best Things To Do
- 5 of the Most Romantic Weekend Getaways In and Around Auckland
- Top 10 Crazy Things to Do in Queenstown, New Zealand
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Auckland
|❤️ Best Area first timers||Auckland CBD & Viaduct Harbour|
|💸 Best Luxury Hotel||QT Auckland|
|👪 Best Hotel for For Families||The Edgerley Suites|
|🏨 Best Mid-Range Hotel||The Sebel Auckland Viaduct Harbour|
|🛏️ Best Budget Hotel||ibis budget Auckland Central|
|✨ Best Hostel||LyLo Auckland|
If you’d like to save it for later, please save it to Pinterest.