China is the land of superlatives: the fastest bullet train in Shanghai, the longest sea-crossing bridge, the largest airport terminal in Beijing, some of the tallest buildings in the world, and the largest population in the world. China is a study in contrasts, with these modern engineering achievements set against ancient history in places like the Great Wall and the Terracotta Warriors of Xi’an.
QUICK CHINA FACTS
Currency: Chinese renminbi (RMB) can be withdrawn from ATMs throughout China, however keep in mind that smaller cities or towns may not have access to ATMs and its recommended to withdraw cash and take it with you.
Power Points: There are three types of power points in China – three-pronged angled pins (similar to Australia), two flat pins (the most common) or two narrow round pins. I would recommend you take a Travel Adapter.
Official Language: The official language of China is Mandarin.
Health: There are a number of health concerns in China for travellers such as avian influenza, Japanese encephalitis, dengue fever, hand, foot and mouth disease and of course high pollution levels which can cause asthma suffers some issues. I would recommend that you contact your doctor a few weeks before you travel as in some cases you need to start any medication a few days before your trip or you may need to get a vaccination. The tap water is not considered drinkable and bottled water is high recommended.
Unsure about travelling during COVID? Check out the COVID travel requirements and restrictions for China.
Articles on China
Looking for a particular destination, see below otherwise you can go to China Travel guide to view current posts
- Which is best part of the Great Wall of China to visit – Mutianyu Or Badaling..?
- The Cost of Travel in China
- Business Class review of Singapore Airlines Adelaide to Beijing via Singapore
- The Luxurious Shangri-La Beijing – Hotel Review
- Where to get the best Peking Duck in Beijing
- Where to stay Beijing China – Quick and Easy Guide
- 15 Usual Things to do in Beijing
- The Best Day Trips from Beijing
- Luxury Travel Guide to Beijing
- Budget Travel Guide to Beijing
- Business Class review of Singapore Airlines – Guangzhou to Singapore
- Luxury Hotel Review of an Urban Oasis Shangri-La Guangzhou
- Where to stay in Guangzhou
- 18 Sensational Things to Do in Shanghai – China Travel Guide
- Where to stay in Shanghai
- The Ultimate Guide to Shanghai