The largest city of Southern China’s Guangdong province, Guangzhou is a port city on the Pearl River. China’s third largest city, with more than 14 million people, the city has history dating back to 214 AD, set against a modern evolution of technology.
The city is also known as Canton, and is the birthplace of Cantonese food, which the rest of world knows a “Chinese food.”
Although the city is huge, public transportation is comprehensive throughout Guangzhou, and the city is divided into ten districts, three of which (Tianhe, Liwan and Yuexiu) fall in the city center.
Deciding where to stay in Guangzhou is an important first step in planning your vacation in the Guangdong province. Check out the Guangzhou districts below, and choose the best Guangzhou hotel for you.
We will cover off all types of Guangzhou accommodation options from Hostels to luxury Guangzhou hotels as well as how to decide where to stay in Guangzhou 2024.
This guide shows off the best Guangzhou hotels, best places in Guangzhou to visit, the best places to stay in Guangzhou, hotels near Guangzhou attractions, Guangzhou neighborhood guide and many more.
Plan your trip?
Avoid hidden fees in the exchange rate while withdrawing from millions of ATMs abroad, paying in restaurants and shops, and buying your accommodation and flights using the Wise Card. You can hold up to 40+ currencies at once to spend in in over 150 countries, and convert them in real time with the free Wise app.
Need help planning your trip from start to finish? Check out these helpful links:
- Cheap flights
- Savings on accommodation from hostels to luxury hotels
- Affordable car rental options
- Affordable sightseeing tours and day trips
- Travel Adapter – All in one so you don’t have to carry a bunch around
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Tianhe District – Where to stay in Guangzhou for tourists
Tianhe is the commercial business district of Guangzhou, with some of the highest skyscrapers and several shopping malls.
If you are traveling to or from Hong Kong, this is the best area to stay in downtown Guangzhou, as it’s the transportation hub for trains to Hong Kong, less than one hour away by high speed train.
Some of the Guangzhou attractions in Tianhe include the Guangdong Museum, Guangzhou Library, the Opera House and Shipai Village, the largest urban village in the city.
Three major shopping malls include Grandview Mall, Tee Mall and Zhongtian Shopping Mall.
Best places to stay in Tianhe
Budget Hotels in Tianhe:
- 7Days Inn Guangzhou Tianhe Tangxia Junjing Huayuan
- 7Days Inn Guangzhou Keyun Road
- Arrivee Hotel
- Guangzhou Boyi Hotel
Mid range Hotels in Tianhe:
- Arthur Hotel Zhujiang New Town Guangzhou
- Fairfield by Marriott Guangzhou Tianhe Park
- Paco Hotel Guangzhou Chebeinan Metro Branch
- Lavande Hotel Guangzhou Tianhe Park Huangpu Avenue
Family Friendly Hotels in Tianhe:
- Ausotel Smart Guangzhou Zhujiang Newtown
- Hampton by Hilton Guangzhou Zhujiang New Town
- Guangzhou Victoria Hotel
- Nan Yang Royal Hotel
Affordable Luxury Hotels in Tianhe:
- Soluxe Hotel Guangzhou
- Estandon Hotel Guangzhou
- La Perle International Hotel
- Royal Mediterranean Hotel
Pazhou Exhibition Area / Haizhu – Best place to stay in Guangzhou for canton fair
Guangzhou is the home of the Canton Fair; the oldest and largest trade fair in China. If you want to know where to stay in Guangzhou for Canton Fair, the Haizhu District is the best choice.
Held twice a year at the Pazhou Complex, the Canton Fair draws international buyers from around the world.
The Pazhou complex is located in Guangzhou’s Haizhu district, an industrial area south of the Pearl River. The district is home to the Canton Tower, one of Guangzhou’s newest landmarks.
The colorful tower looms 610 meters over the river, and visitors can ascend to one of the highest outdoor observation decks in the world.
With the Exhibition complex nearby, there are many Guangzhou hotels to choose from and a few cheap hotels near Canton Fair Guangzhou.
Best places to stay near Canton Fair
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels near Canton Fair:
Budget Hotels near Canton Fair:
- 7Days Premium Guangzhou Kecun Subway Station
- Oda Theme Apartment (Guangzhou Wanshengwei Pazhou Convention and Exhibition Center)
- Guangzhou Convention Center Apartment
- Vienna 3 Best Hotel Exhibition Center Chigang Road
Mid range Hotels near Canton Fair:
- Paco Hotel (Guangzhou Tower Datang Metro Station Branch)
- Lavande Hotels·Guangzhou Canton Tower Pazhou Convention and Exhibition Center
- Guangzhou Shi Liu Hotel
- Pa Zhou Plaza Hotel
Family Friendly Hotels near Canton Fair:
- Checkinn International Apartment (GuangZhou PaZhou Poly World Trade Branch)
- HeeFun Apartment GZ – Poly World Trading Center
- Guangzhou Fangyuan Hotel
- Guangzhou The Royal Garden Hotel
Affordable Luxury Hotels near Canton Fair:
- Langham Place Guangzhou
- The Westin Pazhou
- InterContinental Guangzhou Exhibition Center, an IHG Hotel
- Shangri-La Guangzhou
Beijing Road Commercial Area / Yuexiu –Where to stay in Guangzhou for shopping!
The oldest part of Guangzhou, dating back to 214 AD. Many of Guangzhou’s attractions can be found in this area. Yuexiu Park is Guangzhou’s largest park, with nearly 1 million square meters.
In addition to several mountains and lakes within the park, there’s a 30,000 seat stadium. The district also houses the Guangzhou Museum, Mausoleum of Nanyue King, several temples including the Temple of Five Rams.
The Beijing Lu shopping district is the main shopping street of Guangzhou, and has something for every kind of shopper. The pedestrian-only street is a great place for people-watching, shopping and dining.
Amidst all of the commercialism, the district also has a lot of history, making this a great place to stay in Guangzhou, especially for first-time visitors who want to make the most of their visit.
Best places to stay in Yuexiu
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Yuexiu:
Budget Hotels in Yuexiu:
- Mei Lan Hotel
- Yoyo Apartment Jiedeng Metropolis Branch, Beijing Road
- Sunny Private Apartment Hotel Of Grand Continental
- 7Days Premium Guangzhou Beijing Road Pedestrian Street Branch
Mid range Hotels in Yuexiu:
Family Friendly Hotels in Yuexiu:
- South & North International Apartment – Beijing Road Kam Rueng Plaza
- Boman Holiday Apartment Bei Jing lu Jie Deng Du Hui Branch
- Louidon Mega Apartment Hotel Of Kam Rueng Plaza – Sunshine Apartment
Affordable Luxury Hotels in Yuexiu:
Liwan – Where to stay in Guangzhou with family
On the north side of the river is the old part of Guangzhou city center. One of the best destinations of Liwan is the Shangxiajiu Pedestrian Street, which is lined with shops and restaurants.
From local brands to global brands like Nike, you can literally shop til you drop on Shangxiajiu street.
Other attractions in Liwan include Shamian Island with its colonial architecture, ancient Xiguan houses, and Liwan Lake Park, a wonderful escape from the urban environment.
The Liwan Plaza jewelry market has over 2,000 stores. If you want to know where to stay in Guangzhou city for the best shopping, Liwan is it!
Best places to stay in Liwan
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Liwan:
Budget Hotels in Liwan:
Mid range Hotels in Liwan:
Family Friendly Hotels in Liwan:
- Lavande Hotel Guangzhou Shang Xia Jiu Branch
- Guangzhou Compass Hotel
- Guangzhou Bird Island Hotel
- Puzzle Hotel – Zhongshan 8th Road Chenjiaci Subway Station Branch
Affordable Luxury Hotels in Liwan:
Baiyun District Area – Where to stay in Guangzhou on a budget
In the northern suburbs of Guangzhou is the Baiyun district. The namesake mountain, Baiyun Mountain can be found here, making it a great place to stay for those wishing to explore the outdoors.
There’s a cable car to the top if you prefer not to walk, but either way, make sure to come here for outstanding views of downtown Guangzhou.
Baiyun also happens to be where the Baiyun international airport is located, so there are many hotels in this area, catering to business travelers or those with an overnight layover.
If you choose to stay in the Baiyun district, allow extra commuting time to downtown Guangzhou as it’s about 40 minutes via the Metro.
Best places to stay in Baiyun
Budget Hotels in Baiyun:
- 7Days Premium Guangzhou Guangyuan Coach Station Branch
- Metropolo, Guangzhou, Wanda Plaza-Baiyun Mountain
- Vienna Hotel Guangzhou Songnan
Mid range Hotels in Baiyun:
- Metropolo, Guangzhou, Wanda Plaza-Baiyun Mountain
- Vienna Hotel Guangzhou Dekang Road
- Moon Shine Apartment Hotel
- Vienna International Hotel Guangzhou Railway Station
Family Friendly Hotels in Baiyun:
Affordable Luxury Hotels in Baiyun:
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Guangzhou
|❤️ Best Area first timers||Guangzhou – Tianhe District|
|💸 Best Luxury Hotel||Shangri-La Guangzhou|
|👪 Best Hotel for For Families||Guangzhou Bird Island Hotel|
|🏨 Best Mid-Range Hotel||Fairfield by Marriott Guangzhou Tianhe Park|
|🛏️ Best Budget Hotel||Mei Lan Hotel|
|✨ Best Hostel||YoYo Youth Apartment|
If you’d like to save it for later, please save it to Pinterest.