Canon is obviously a very well known brand with professional photographers (and novices) for its excellent range of DSLRs (digital single-lens reflex camera), they are high quality cameras that capture fantastic images…. But they are also usually large and can be difficult to travel with.
Introducing the Canon EOS M3 Compact Camera. The M3 is a “mirrorless digital camera”. Which means it’s a digital camera that accepts different lenses. It has all the same functions as one of the larger DSLRs including the ability changing lens however it is much lightly, making it much easier to travel with.
This camera is very easy to operate and understand and has an impressive image quality with 24.2 megapixels and full 1080 HD movies!
The body materials of the Canon EOS M3 are stainless steel, magnesium alloy, polycarbonate resin which helps shed excessive weight and size of the normal DSLRs. Weighing in at a mere 366grams (body only)! Even with the lens on the camera doesn’t weight too much more and easily fits in your handbag or a larger jacket pocket (however not that comfortable).
While walking around taking photos, I had the camera strap wrapped around my hand/arm as I found the hand grip to be a little shallow and I was concerned about dropping the camera.
One of the coolest features of this camera is the 3inch tilt touch screen LCD, which makes it easy to shoot from various angles. It tilts 45 degrees down or up by 180 degrees. The LCD screen is also a touch screen however I kept forgetting this and used the dials.
All the buttons are user friendly, showing exactly what each button does. However I found the process to turn on Wi-Fi a little confusing (or maybe this was because I had spent 3 days taking photos!).
The Canon M3 offers “Creative Filters” which include: HDR, Fish Eye, Art Bold, Water Painting, Miniature, Toy Camera, Soft Focus and Grain Black and White.
The “Q-Set” button on the back on the camera brings up the ‘Picture Style’ selection which includes Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, plus sharpness, contrast, saturation and colour tone can be individually adjusted for each.
The EOS M3 is equipped with built-in Wi-Fi technology for conveniently sharing and transferring of your images and video to your phone or tablet. You can easily post your images to social media networks or save them to your photo album to share anytime, anywhere. The camera connects directly to both iOS and Android devices.
All you need to do is download the free Canon Camera Connect app and upload images to your devices. You can control the destination of your uploads and even add comments. When the camera finds a linked computer on the same wireless network, images are sent directly to it. (all very easy to set up – just read the manual!)
Canon Camera Connect app:
The Canon Camera Connect app is very easy to use, just make sure to read the instructions or set up as I can be a little confusing.
You can shoot images with your camera directly from your device – changing settings as you go or upload and save your favourite images from the day, making instant posting to social media quick and easy!
Recording and image quality:
The EOS M3 features a large 24.2 Megapixel CMOS sensor, this means better detail, even at higher ISOs, with minimal noise and distortion. The 24.2 megapixel JPEG setting gives you an average of 8MB size per image.
Whether you’re shooting a highest resolution JPEG or JPEG and Raw in combination, there’s barely a difference in the time it takes to save either to your SD card.
The video quality is clear and sharp with excellent sound, shooting at Full HD – 1920 x 1080.
My favourite setting on the Canon M3 was the Auto Hybrid mode, because the camera records still images as well as a 2-4 second video clip.
- · Effective Pixels: Approx. 24.2 megapixels
- · Aspect Ratio: 3:2
- · Sensor Cleaning EOS integrated cleaning system
- · Automatic selection (Face+Tracking), Manual selection (1-point AF)
- · Shutter Speed: 30-1/4000 sec (1/3 stop increments), Bulb (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode)
- · Touch screen LCD Monitor Tilt type 7.5 cm (3.0”) sRGB ClearView
- · Flash: Built-in Flash GN (ISO 100, meters) up to 18mm focal length (35mm equivalent: 29mm)
- · Modes: Scene Intelligent Auto mode (Stills and Movie), Creative Assist (Stills and Movie). Hybrid Auto, SCN(Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Handheld Night Scene, Food), Creative Filters (HDR, Fish-eye Effect, Art Bold Effect, Water Painting Effect, Miniature Effect (Stills and Movie), Toy Camera Effect, Soft Focus, Grainy B/W), Program AE , Shutter priority AE, Aperture priority AE, Manual, Custom)Movie modes: Movie auto exposure, Movie manual exposure
- · Still Image Type: JPEG: Fine, Normal (Exif 2.30 compliant) / Design rule for Camera File system (2.0),RAW: RAW (14bit, Canon original RAW 2nd edition),Digital Print Order Format [DPOF] Version 1.1 compliant
- · Image Size: RAW: (3:2) 6000 x 4000, (4:3) 5328 x 4000, (16:9) 6000 x 3376, (1:1) 4000 x 4000JPEG 3:2: (L) 6000 x 4000, (M) 4320 x 2880, (S1) 2880 x 1920, (S2) 2304 x 1536, (S3) 720x480JPEG 4:3: (L) 5328 x 4000, (M) 3840 x 2880, (S1) 2560 x 1920, (S2) 2048 x 1536, (S3) 640x480JPEG 16:9: (L) 6000 x 3376, (M) 4320 x 2432, (S1) 2880 x 1616 (S2) 1920 x 1080, (S3) 720 x 408JPEG 1:1: (L) 4000 x 4000, (M) 2880 x 2880, (S1) 1920 x 1920, (S2) 1536 x 1536, (S3) 480×480
- · Movie Type: MP4 [Video: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, Audio: MPEG-4 AAC-LC (stereo)]
- · Movie Size: Full HD – 1920 x 1080 (29.97, 25, 23.976 fps)HD – 1280 x 720 (59.94, 50 fps)VGA – 640 x 480 (29.97, 25 fps)Miniature Effect – HD, VGA – (6, 3, 1.5 fps)Hybrid Auto – HD – (30 fps)
- · Wireless LAN (IEEE802.11b/g/n), (2.4 GHz only), with Dynamic NFC support HDMI output (Type-C/Mini compatible)External microphone (3.5mm stereo mini jack)
- · Storage: SD, SDHC, SDXC (UHS-I compatible)
- · Dimensions (WxHxD): 110.9 x 68.0 x 44.4 mm
- · Batteries: 1 x Rechargeable Li-ion Battery LP-E17
- · Battery life: Approx. 250 (at 23°C, AE 50%, FE 50%) Approx. 185 (at 0°C, AE 50%, FE 50%)
- · Power saving: LCD monitor turns off after 10, 20, 30 sec or 1, 2, 3 mins. Auto Power Off ECO mode
What you get in the box
- Camera – Body only (unless you get the lens add on)
- Neck Strap
- Battery charger
- USB cord
Buy it now RRP $899 (AUD) – Body only.
Disclaimer: Canon provided the Canon EOS M3 for me to test.