As Croatia tourism grows, so does the popularity of the Dalmation Coast and the city of Split, Croatia. Unlike Dubrovnik, which is quite small and mostly for tourists, Split is an actual city with residential areas in addition to the tourist areas.
There are many unique neighbourhoods in Split, so it can be difficult to determine the best area for tourists and the best Split hotels. With this article, we help you find the best places to stay in Split, Croatia, including the best Split accommodation for every budget.
We will cover off all types of Split accommodation options from Hostels to luxury Split hotels as well as how to decide where to stay in Split Croatia 2024.
|❤️ Best Area first timers||Old Town Split|
|💸 Best Luxury Hotel||Hotel Agava Split|
|👪 Best Hotel for For Families||Apartments Tudor|
|🏨 Best Mid Range Hotel||Lanterna Rooms|
|🛏️ Best Budget Hotel||Assi Room|
|✨ Best Hostel||Downtown Hostel|
This guide shows off the best Split hotels, best places in Split to visit, the best places to stay in Split, hotels near Split attractions, Split neighborhood guide and many more. Check out the below guide on where to stay in Split Croatia.
Below are 16 of the best neighbourhoods in Split to help you make the right decision when trying to work out best area to stay in Split for you. We have tried to make the guide as easy to follow as possible.
We have also included some things to do or places to visit as well as some eatery suggestions of either our favourite places within the areas in Split so you can use this as a go to guide.
Plan your trip?
Avoid hidden fees in the exchange rate while withdrawing from millions of ATMs abroad, paying in restaurants and shops, and buying your accommodation and flights using the Wise Card. You can hold up to 40+ currencies at once to spend in in over 150 countries, and convert them in real time with the free Wise app.
Need help planning your trip from start to finish? Check out these helpful links:
- Cheap flights
- Savings on accommodation from hostels to luxury hotels
- Affordable car rental options
- Affordable sightseeing tours and day trips
- Travel Adapter – All in one so you don’t have to carry a bunch around
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Old Town Split – Where to stay in Split for first timers
Everything in Split will be described in relation to the location of the palace. From your Old Town hotel, you will also be in walking distance of the Riva.
Why stay in Old Town Split:
For first-time visitors, Split Old Town is the best location in Split. Old town is one of the best places to stay in Split Croatia. It’s super easy to get around to see all the sights and has such an old world feeling to it.
This waterfront promenade is the center of all activity in Old Town, and is a great spot for people watching. If you are choosing where to stay in Split with family, Old Town is a great option.
Things to do in Old Town Split:
- Wonder around the Diocletian’s Palace
This is the area immediately surrounding Diocletian’s Palace, and is home to the most historic attractions in Split. The most famous landmark in Split and a UNESCO World Heritage Site is the Diocletian’s Palace. You will be fascinated by this place even if history isn’t exactly your thing.
This magnificent Roman structure dates to the fourth century. Although some of the original walls are still standing today, Split’s old city is largely taken up by the palace’s ruins, with newer structures, bars, and businesses strewn about in and around it.
- See Split from above at Cathedral of St. Domnius
The Cathedral of St. Domnius is located just off the Peristyle. Although Split Cathedral’s history and architecture is remarkable, the best feature is the view from the bell tower (57m). You won’t regret taking the roughly 200 steps, I promise!
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Old Town Split:
- Hostel: Downtown Hostel – Excellent location in the central of Split, making it accessible to restaurants, bars and other tourist activities. Overall clean hostel, affordable prices, and very helpful staff.
- Budget: Top Center – Located centrally, you’re literally inside the old palace walls. The accommodation is basic, but functional and it was extremely clean.
- Mid-range: Hotel Slavija – Renovated hotel, located right in the heart of the Split Old Town, however it is super quiet. The hotel itself is a historical building which is cool giving guests the feel of history in every brick.
- Family: Kastel 1700 Boutique Hotel – Great location and beautiful hotel with friendly and helpful staff. WiFi worked perfectly (great to keep the kids entertained). Breakfast offers lots of fresh fruit, fresh salads, pastries, bacon and eggs etc. If you;re arriving to Split with a car, there is private parking easy 10 minutes walk from hotel.
- Luxury: Heritage hotel Santa Lucia – This hotel offers, really comfy, soft bedding and pillows, awesome shower, excellent ducted air/heating, opening windows, nice and modern, lovely staff, perfect location in the old town only 3min walk from taxi stand.
Some of the best hotels in Split Croatia can be found in Old Town. If you are arriving by bus, boat or train, Old Town is also the transportation hub of Split.
Where to stay in Split Old Town
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Split Old Town
Budget accommodation in Split Old Town
Mid range accommodation in Split Old Town
- Villa Split Heritage Hotel
- Hotel Slavija
- Hotel Vestibul Palace & Villa – Small Luxury Hotels Of The World
- Hotel Lorenco centar Split
Family Friendly accommodation in Split Old Town
- Kastel 1700 Boutique Hotel
- Judita Palace Heritage Hotel
- Heritage Hotel Antique Split
- Apartment Luxury Palace No1
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Split Old Town
- Penthouse Matkovic
- Heritage hotel Santa Lucia
- Piazza Heritage Hotel
- Palace Suites Heritage Hotel – Adults Only
Dobrić – Where to stay in Split on a budget
Just north of the palace is the area known as Dobrić, one of Split’s oldest neighborhoods.
Why stay in Dobrić:
A little less polished than other more popular neighborhoods, Dobrić is perfect for budget friendly travelers deciding where to stay in Split, Croatia.
If you want to stay near the city center, without paying city center prices, and possibly having some room for parking, then Dobrić is a good choice.
Things to do in Dobrić:
- Grab a bite to eat along Riva
You may go to Riva Harbour to view various ships coming in and going out, and the promenade often becomes a little busy, though it is less busy in the morning.
You can wander along this pleasant promenade, which features a coastline with palm trees and benches spaced out every few metres. There are also many options for pubs, cafes, and restaurants.
- Visit the Golden Gate
The Golden Gate, sometimes known as “the Northern Gate,” is one of the four main Roman entrances to Split. It was constructed as a section of Diocletian’s Palace and was elaborately decorated to signify its prominence as the main entrance through which the Emperor entered the complex.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Dobrić
- Hostel: Hostel Dvor – The hostel is very nice, clean and tidy. The rooms have a huge locker and small storage underneath the bed. The rate includes a light breakfast. The location is good, far from the crowd but close to most attractions, about 10 minutes walking distance.
- Budget: Stipan Studio & Room – Located in fabulous area, old town is only a couple of minutes walk away; close to everything. The rooms are clean and tidy with fresh linen and towels and the kitchen has lots of utensils and things to cook with. The host/owner is what makes this place amazing!
- Mid-range: Galeria Valeria Seaside Downtown – The seaside view from the rooms are stunning! The room a very nicely decorated and the bathroom is a good size, the shower is so big! Modern facilities with a lift for higher floors.
- Family: Stara Kala Varos Apartment – Close to everything (within a 5 min walk) and the owners are so helpful with everything. You’ll love the rooftop views. The kitchen is well stocked as well as having so many fabulous restaurants nearby.
- Luxury: Hotel Agava Split – This hotel is hidden in the old town, located in a beautiful heritage restored old stone building with wonderful staff and owners. Its a real hidden gem and very close to jetty, still central but very quiet too.
Wondering where to stay in Split near beach, Dobrić is super close to local beaches.
Best places to stay in Dobrić
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Dobrić
Budget accommodation in Dobrić
Mid range accommodation in Dobrić
- Galeria Valeria Seaside Downtown
- Aspalathos Residence
- Heritage Palace Varos
- Historic Plaza Varos Split
Family Friendly accommodation in Dobrić
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Dobrić
Meje – Where to stay in Split for great views
If you prefer to stay in a more upscale residential area, then Meje is the place for you.
Why stay in Meje:
This district extends from the sea up Marjan Hill. Leafy streets are lined with large homes, luxury apartments and Meje also has a waterfront promenade.
With three beaches and several parks, this is a great choice of where to stay in Split with family. The neighborhood crawls up a hill, though, so carefully choose your accommodation, and bring good walking shoes if you want to explore the neighborhood.
Things to do in Meje:
There are fewer tourist attractions here, but everything is still within 20 minutes walking distance of Old Town.
- Climb the Marjan Hill to the Split Viewpoint
On Split’s peninsula is a hill called Marjan. It is totally encircled by the city and the sea and is covered with a Mediterranean pine forest. There are steps leading up to this park to the west of the old city, above where the winding mediaeval lanes come to an end.
The fifteen minute stroll is worthwhile. Fantastic views of Split and nearby islands are provided by these views. A staircase with 314 steps leads to the summit. There a lot of steps to climb in order to reach the viewpoint, but don’t worry; they are generally easy for most people to climb.
I’d recommend heading up for sunset!
- Wander through Sustipan
A little peninsula called Sustipan can be found south-west of Split. A church and a Benedectine monastery existed in the Middle Ages.
At Sustipan, one of Croatia’s most stunning cemeteries was constructed in the 19th century. Authorities removed the cemetery in the 20th century.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Meje:
- Budget: Viktorija – Very affordable, big apartment, that’s close to everything. It only takes about 30 min to walk to the old town, a few mins to the local supermarket and few mins to the closest beach! The views from all living spaces are outstanding! And the is always a well stocked fridge waiting for guests.
- Mid- Range: Charlie Chaplin – This apartment feels very homely. It’s in the perfect location and provides you with everything it says and more. The beds are big and comfortable and the kitchen is beautiful, making it a lot of fun to cook in. Mirjana (the host) is so helpful and greeted guests when you arrive and leave.
- Family: Meje Apartments – These apartments have a home like atmosphere. It’s located in a quiet and safe area with a suburban feel but still within walking distance of old town.
- Luxury: Villa Diocletian – This villa is in the perfect location, with old town within walking distance. Villa is absolutely gorgeous and high level of comfort. Host is very friendly and super helpful, they really makes you feel at home, Breakfast is really really good, awesome start of the day. This villa can house up to 10 people so a great option for families as well!
Best places to stay in Meje
Budget accommodation in Meje
Mid range accommodation in Meje
Family Friendly accommodation in Meje
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Meje
Veli Varos – Where to stay in Split for tourists
Wondering wheres best to stay around Split? Personally Veli Varos is my favourite areas. Just west of Old Town and the palace, Veli Varos is one of the oldest neighborhoods of Split.
Why stay in Veli Varos
The cobblestone streets here date back to the 17th century, when fishermen and farmers started building cottages here.
Some of the hotels in Split are located in Veli Varos, along with a few Split luxury rooms tucked away down winding alleys. Parking is as challenging here as it is in Old Town, so be sure to ask ahead if you plan to bring a car.
Things to do in Veli Varos
- Visit Franciscan Monastery of St. Frances
Away from the hustle and bustle of the city, this renovated Franciscan monastery offers a tranquil setting for reflection. Entry is free. Even though the church is small inside, the whitewashed walls and wooden pews give it a sense of peace that contrasts with the bustling, sweltering city outside.
- Wander down Marmontova Street
Wander down the marble-paved promenade named Marmontova Street. Here, you can buy souvenirs at a few smaller street vendors as well as shops showcasing designer and high-end brands. The Ribarnica, or local fish market, is located towards the end of the street. To see the day’s freshest fish, arrive early.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Veli Varos
- Hostel: Hostel Wonderful World – The lovely staff and common areas are super invitingthat adds to the awesome vibe at the hostel. The location is good, with a short 5-10 minute walk to most restaurants, bars and the harbour.
- Budget: Assi Room – You are welcomed with a bottle of water and cakes in the fridge. The room is small but really cozy and they offer everything you need including coffee, cleaning products etc. The owner is very Kind and helpful.
- Mid- Range: Lanterna Rooms – One of my very favourite places in Split! The location is wonderful, very central and easy to get to everywhere. Everything here feels very safe, clean and welcoming. There is also a really beautiful terrace to relax on.
- Family: Apartments & Rooms Grašo – The apartment is perfectly located with a beautiful seaside view and close to the center and restaurants! The apartment itself is very clean, spacious and comfortable! It makes you feel like you are home away from home.
- Luxury: Villa Corona Split Family owned and operated villa in an excellent location. The villa itself is super clean and had literally everything you needed and much more. The attention to detail is unbelievable. A supermarket is a few steps away and you get a 3 car garage with the property.
Best places to stay in Veli Varos
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Veli Varos
Budget accommodation in Veli Varos
Mid range accommodation in Veli Varos
Family Friendly accommodation in Veli Varos
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Veli Varos
Poljud – Where to stay in Split as a local
The Stadion Poljud multi-purpose arena, which dominates this neighbourhood immediately to the north of Split’s city centre, is its most well-known feature.
Why stay in Poljud
Due to the proximity to the Poljud arena, this neighbourhood is generally less touristy and is more suited for locals. There are a number of accommodation options here but not as many as there would be in Old town and the surrounding neighbourhoods.
There are numerous bars and both local and foreign eateries near Poljud and Spinut, so nightlife there is up to you. You should go in the direction of the harbour area if you want pleasantly busy.
Things to do in Poljud
- Glad a Picnic basket and head to Mladosti Park
It is bordered by the exquisitely designed Mladosti Park, where you may walk the grounds, have a picnic, or just relax and take in some sun while watching the world go by if sports aren’t your thing.
- Split Archaeological Museum
When the Dalmatian authorities in Zadar created the Split Archaeological Museum in 1820, it became the oldest museum in Croatia. Prehistoric ages, the Greek colonisation of the Adriatic, Roman provincial times, the Early Christian era through the early Middle Ages, and the period of Croatian popular rulers are all covered by some 150,000 items.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Poljud
- Hostel: AI HOSTEL – The hostel is modern and has everything to a comfortable stay. The location is about 10 min walking to the centre of Split. Amazing hostel with amazing hospitality from the family who owns it.
- Budget: Kula Park Studio – Great apartments, that are very quiet, comes with your own yard as well as parking (which can be tricky in Split). Apartment comes everything you could need fully fitted kitchen, air con washing machine, iron etc. Hosts are incredibly welcoming and helpful.
- Mid- Range: Antique Garden Villa – The villas location is perfect; nearby you’ve got supermarkets, bakery, pharmacy, post office etc with the old town within walking distance. The villa is an interesting combination of a retro and modern with large gardens.
- Family: Apartment Fabris – Boasting sea views, Apartment Fabris features accommodation with a terrace and a balcony. The air-conditioned apartment consists of 2 bedrooms, a living room, a fully equipped kitchen with a fridge and a kettle, and 2 bathrooms with a bath or shower. Only around 1.6 km from Prva Voda Beach.
- Luxury: Luxury Villa Sarina with pool in Split center – Featuring an outdoor swimming pool, a garden, and a terrace. This beachfront property offers access to a balcony and free private parking. The air-conditioned villa consists of 4 bedrooms, a living room, a fully equipped kitchen with a fridge and a coffee machine, and 2 bathrooms with a bidet and a shower.
Best places to stay in Poljud
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Poljud
Budget accommodation in Poljud
Mid range accommodation in Poljud
- Diocles Place
- Exquisite Couples Delight with free bikes & parking
- Antique Garden Villa
- Studio Seven minute walk to Old town
Family Friendly accommodation in Poljud
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Poljud
Bacvice – Where to stay in Split for nightlife
Bacvice Beach is the most popular beach in Split, where locals and tourists flock in all seasons. With Old Town just 15 minute walk from Bacvice, you have the best of both worlds by staying in this residential area.
Why stay in Bacvice
Travelers who want to know where to stay in Split for nightlife should consider the area called Bacvice. In Croatia, beaches and nightlife go hand in hand, so this also happens to be the best option of where to stay in Split near the beach.
Bacvice is known for its vibrant nightlife, form delicious resturants, cool bars and “pumpin” nightclubs!
Things to do in Bacvice
For travellers planning day trips from Split, the ferry port is also conveniently located near Bacvice.
- Relax in the sun at Beach Bacvice
Sand is particularly soft on the sandy beach in Bacvice. Even 100 metres out from the coast, the water is shallow. It’s perfect for having a blast and taking part in water activities.
The beach can get quite crowded during the summer, so if you don’t like crowds, go early in the morning. Like the other beaches in Split, Bacvice has beach bars, places to eat fast food, and places to rent jet skis and sun loungers.
- Watch the latest movie at the Ljetno kino Bačvice / Open Air Cinema
One of the most stunning movie theatres on the Adriatic is the Bavice Open Air Cinema. Every visitor and enthusiast of new and old movies, while also enjoying the added benefits of the smell of pine trees, the sound of the sea, the stars, the moon, and the passing of ships in the distance.
The programme features a dynamic mix of Hollywood blockbusters, children’s movies, vintage movies, and European and international art house films. (Please note this is only available in the summer months)
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Bacvice
- Hostel: Adriatic Hostel – Youth Only – This Hostel is located in a very central location. It has a number of bathrooms and good spaces within the in dorm. The kitchen is spacious and sitting area is large.
- Budget: Apartment Herc – Great location close to ferries, bus and train as well as the old city and harbor. Comfortable rooms with a nice small living room and small but well equipped kitchen. Hostess is great with communications and meets you on check in.
- Mid- Range: Hotel Villa Harmony – Very lovely new, modern hotel with old world charm. The location is an easy to drive in/out of to go out by car. The rooms are very spacious, the balcony overlooking the beach is fairly large. Nice pool with a view, really everything you could ask for!
- Family: Best location Rooms – Perfect location with easy walk to beaches, Old Town, grocery store, and restaurants. The rooms are clean and updated. Check in can be done in person or by codes for keypads. This is a great place to stay with family as you will feel safe.
- Luxury: Hotel Park Split – Classic luxury hotel with modern refurbishments. Rooms are nice, big and clean. Location is really good, with a sandy beach, 50m in front of the hotel. This area is buzzing with activity, with a lot of quaint shops and restaurants, with outdoor dining in a very historic and beautiful part of town.
Best places to stay in Bacvice
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Bacvice
Budget accommodation in Bacvice
Mid range accommodation in Bacvice
Family Friendly accommodation in Bacvice
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Bacvice
Firule, Trstenik and Znjan – Where to stay in Split for families
Going east from the beach of Bacvice are three additional beach areas.
These areas tend to be quieter neighborhoods, only 20 minutes from the city center, but if you want to know where to stay in Split near the beach, Firule, Trstenik and Znjan certainly have many options for you.
Why stay in Firule, Trstenik and Znjan
First, Firule Beach, then Trstenik and finally Znjan Beach. All 3 of these beaches are within 3.5km of each other.
Firule beach is popular with families as it’s very shallow and calm, without the crowds of more popular beaches nearby.
Trstenik is a hidden gem of a beach near the Radisson Blu Split, with very nice beach facilities.
Znjan is also a popular beach and one of the larger beaches in Split.
Things to do in Firule, Trstenik and Znjan
There isn’t a lot to do in these areas expect lounge around on a number of beaches, these neighborhoods are more suitable for people who want to relax.
It’s great for families, as you wont be far from the main sites but you can easily unwind with the family in a quieter neighborhood and build sand castles on the beach in peace.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Firule, Trstenik and Znjan
- Hostel: Sweet Spot Hostel– Great Hostel rooms and a decent amount of privacy. Everything here is super clean with a kitchen available and great. I’d highly recommend this hostel if you’re looking for a cheap place to stay close to most touristic sites by foot.
- Budget: Hotel Elu Iris – Hotel is in a great location on the Adriatic Sea, a bit away from the center. The rooms are spacious with a big comfy bed, mini fridge and large bathroom.
- Mid- Range: Marvie Hotel & Health – This hotel offers a spa centre, a rooftop outdoor pool, and a restaurant. It’s located approx 1.5 km from Diocletian’s Palace and 650 m from the nearest beach. Every room is fitted with a private bathroom and large bedroom.
- Family: – Apartments Tudor – You’ll be welcomed by Vera, a very sweet lady that explains and shows you around the apartment. Restaurants & supermarkets just across the street and only 20mins walk to the old city. The apartments are clean, spacious and very well equipped with everything you could possibly need.
- Luxury: Radisson Blu Resort & Spa – Radisson Blu Resort is 2.5 km from Split Old Town. Most rooms include a balcony with views overlooking the islands of Brač and Šolta. All rooms are fitted with air conditioning, flat-screen TVs and offer en-suite bathrooms. The beach can be accessed via a flight of 100 stairs.
Best places to stay in Firule, Trstenik and Znjan
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Firule, Trstenik and Znjan
Budget Hotels in Firule, Trstenik and Znjan
Mid range Hotels in Firule, Trstenik and Znjan
Family Friendly Hotels in Firule, Trstenik and Znjan
Affordable Luxury Hotels in Firule, Trstenik and Znjan
Stobreč – Where to stay near Split for weekend getaways
Croatia’s Stobrec is a charming town close to Split. Although once being a tiny fishing community, tourism is now booming.
Why stay in Stobreč:
Due to its close proximity to Split, Stobrec attracts tourists from all over the world who are looking for the perfect combination of sightseeing, sun, beach, and sea.
In addition, a small centre and a charming promenade are located right in the town, where inviting family run restaurants and cafés entice visitors to stay longer.
Things to do in Stobreč:
Similarly to Firule, Trstenik and Znjan neigbourhoods, Stobrec is a small fishing villa and as such there is a lot a lot to do in this area but relax by the beach and eat til your hear is content.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Stobreč
- Hostel: Hostel Book’n’Hook – The hostel is just next to the beach and there is a supermarket on the ground floor. There is cute little sitting area in the front with the sea view. Every bed has a curtain, a little lamp and one outlet which is great.
- Budget: Guest House Ivo – Just 100 m from the beach and 150 m from the centre of Stobrec, Hotel Ivo provides air-conditioned rooms with balconies.Spacious rooms and apartments with tiled floors are offered at the Ivo. Apartment guests also have a fully equipped kitchen and a living room.
- Mid- Range: Villa Sweet Home Marija – Featuring mountain views, Villa Sweet Home Marija provides accommodation with a seasonal outdoor swimming pool and a terrace, around 300 m from Beach Camp Stobrec. This villa features a private pool, a garden, barbecue facilities, free WiFi and free private parking.The air-conditioned villa consists of 4 bedrooms, a living room, a fully equipped kitchen with a fridge and a coffee machine, and 3 bathrooms with a bidet and a shower.
- Family: Holiday apartments Stobrec – The apartment are very comfortable and clean, they come with everything you need to keep the family happy from separate bedrooms to a full kitchen. Th owners are very kid and family friends.
- Luxury: Luxury villa with a swimming pool Stobrec, Split – Boasting sea views, Luxury villa offers accommodation with a fitness centre and a terrace, around less than 1 km from Beach Camp Stobrec. Guests benefit from private parking available on site. The villa has 8 bedrooms, a TV with satellite channels, an equipped kitchen with a fridge and an oven, a washing machine, and 8 bathrooms.
Best places to stay in Stobreč
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Stobreč
Budget accommodation in Stobreč
Mid range accommodation in Stobreč
Family Friendly accommodation in Stobreč
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Stobreč
- Luxury villa with a swimming pool Stobrec, Split
- Stunning home in Stobrec with WiFi, Outdoor swimming pool and Heated swimming pool