Known as the “Pearl of the Adriatic Sea,” Dubrovnik is one of the most beautiful and appealing destinations in the Mediterranean region. Whether you love city breaks, beach escapes, or are a history buff about Europe’s former days, Dubrovnik brings them all together in a charming way that will satisfy any traveller.
Located in the extreme South of Croatia, Dubrovnik stands boldly as one of the world’s most magnificent walled cities facing the calm blue waters of the Adriatic Sea.
Once the capital of the wealthy sea-faring Republic of Ragusa, the city has reclaimed the essence of its former glory as it is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most up-market tourist destinations of the Mediterranean.
Packed full of history and architecture, Dubrovnik enchants many with its stunning Old Town, encircled with massive stone walls from the 16th century.
Not only is this town charming because it is pedestrian-only, but the white limestone streets are lined with well-preserved treasures such as elegant Baroque churches and medieval fortifications, history-filled museums, delightful shops and restaurants, and chic five-star hotels.
If you want to be awed and have some of the best seafood on the Adriatic, Dubrovnik is where you need to be.
Although a small city, choosing where to stay can make or break a trip. To help you make the most of Dubrovnik as a first-time visitor, we’ve put together the top places of where to stay in Dubrovnik, Dubrovnik neighborhoods, Dubrovnik hotels.
|❤️ Best Area first timers||Old Town Dubrovnik|
|💸 Best Luxury Hotel||Hotel Dubrovnik Palace|
|👪 Best Hotel for For Families||Club Dubrovnik Sunny Hotel by Valama|
|🛏️ Best Budget Hotel||B&B Sesame Inn|
|✨ Best Hostel||Kingslanding Old Town Hostel|
|🏨 Best Hotel near the Airport||Hotel Seventh|
This guide shows off Dubrovnik accommodation options for every budget, the best place to stay in Dubrovnik and all the different areas in Dubrovnik. Check out the below guide on where to stay in Dubrovnik Croatia 2024.
Below are 7 of the best neighbourhoods in Dubrovnik to help you make the right decision when trying to work out best suburb to stay in Dubrovnik for you. We have tried to make the guide as easy to follow as possible.
We have also included some things to do or places to visit as well as some eatery suggestions of either our favourite places within the areas in Dubrovnik so you can use this as a go to guide.
Plan your trip?
Avoid hidden fees in the exchange rate while withdrawing from millions of ATMs abroad, paying in restaurants and shops, and buying your accommodation and flights using the Wise Card. You can hold up to 40+ currencies at once to spend in in over 150 countries, and convert them in real time with the free Wise app.
Need help planning your trip from start to finish? Check out these helpful links:
- Cheap flights
- Savings on accommodation from hostels to luxury hotels
- Affordable car rental options
- Affordable sightseeing tours and day trips
- Travel Adapter – All in one so you don’t have to carry a bunch around
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Old Town – Best location to stay in Dubrovnik
Where to stay in Dubrovnik Old Town? If you want to stay in the heart of Dubrovnik, the Old Town is where it beats.
Why stay in Old Town Dubrovnik:
There’s nothing more magical or awe-inspiring than walking through these narrow limestone streets inside ancient city walls, all with the endless shimmer of the Adriatic Sea in the distance lighting up the town.
Although contained within towering walls, the Old Town is pedestrian-only, which makes a great spot if you’re wondering where to stay in Dubrovnik without a car.
Old town is a maze of narrow paved streets just waiting to be explored. You can be sure that you will come across many historical treasures from a centuries-old Gothic palace or secretive monasteries to an aristocratic stone palazzi or the ancient city gates.
Lined with dozens of local restaurants and cafés that come alive in the evening, enjoy the romantic and bustling atmosphere that fills the air along with music beyond midnight.
Things to do in Old Town Dubrovnik:
- Walk the Walls of Dubrovnik
One of Europe’s largest and best-preserved fortifications is Dubrovnik’s Walls. The unbroken course, which is almost 6000 feet long, provides stunning vistas of the coastal metropolis.
There isn’t much shade, so go in the colder months or in the evening to avoid the heat and to avoid the throng. Tickets are available at any City Wall entry, and guided tours frequently include a walking tour of the Old Town.
- Stroll along Stradum
It is impossible to visit Dubrovnik without taking a stroll along the Stradum, the main street that connects the Pile gate and the Ploca gate. Although it is lined with several stores, eateries, and bars, the Stradum itself is home to many intriguing attractions.
From classical music duos to owl keepers to a group of men blowing horns and clacking ratchets, interesting buskers can be seen! Keep an eye out for the tiny balancing stone outside the friars’ monastery.
- Visit Rector’s Palace
The history of Dubrovnik and the war of the 1990s is full of fascinating details at Rector Palace. Furthermore, parts of The Game of Thrones filming took place there.
With its majestic staircase, arched terraces, fountain, and prison cells, the courtyard alone is worth a visit. The usual spacious rooms you would expect to find upstairs include lots of unique furnishings and décor.
Views of Old Town Dubrovnik from the windows provide an unique perspective. While there is a lot to see, plan on spending around two hours here.
- Enjoy a drink and watch the sunset at Buža bar
Dubrovnik’s south-facing walls are home to two outdoor bars with the same name: Buža I and Buža II. It doesn’t matter which one you choose because they are both excellent. They feature terraces made of rock and concrete, where tables are covered by enormous white parasols.
The views of the vast Adriatic Sea are simply breathtaking. Arrive early so you can go swimming. Or come in the evening and relax with a drink while admiring the sunset and the magic of a starry sky.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Old Town Dubrovnik
- Hostel: Kingslanding Old Town Hostel – Located in the middle of Old town and close to all of the attractions. One of the cheapest hotels in Dubrovnik.
- Budget: Private Accomodation Linda – Great location within Old town, all the attractions within walking distance, restaurants and a supermarket in the same street. Linda the host is so sweet and makes your stay perfect!
- Mid Range:Scalini Palace – Quiet location but still within the Old town, Luka the caretaker goes out of his way to help all guests. Views from your room will be breath taking. (arrange arrival during staffed hours to ensure you get some help with your luggage as there are no elevators.)
- Family: Apartment Stulli 2 – Vlaho, the host of this apartment will help you book a taxi to and from the airport and meet you at the city gates to help navigate to your apartment (what service!). This is a fully self contained 2 bedroom apartment with a full kitchen and living room. Located in the centre of Old Town and only 300m away from the Buza Beach.
- Luxury: Boutique Hotel Stari Grad – Located in the centre of Old town, a few steps away from the vibrant Stradun Street. It is one of only 2 hotels within the Old Town walls of Dubrovnik. The luxurious rooms feature hydromassage shower in the bathroom to relax those tired muscles. Enjoy a cocktail or 5 star dinner at the Above 5’s scenic rooftop terrace.
Below is a list of best places to stay in Dubrovnik old town. Wondering where to stay in Dubrovnik with family, Old Town is the place to be, it’s convenient to get around, especially with tired kids.
Where to stay in Old Town Dubrovnik
Cheapest Hostels in Old Town:
Budget accommodation in Old Town:
Mid-Range accommodation in Old Town:
Family Friendly accommodation in Old Town:
- Old Town Port Apartments
- Apartment Stulli 2
- Prijeko Palace
- Celenga Apartments with free offsite parking
Luxury accommodation in Old Town:
Ploce – Where to stay in Dubrovnik for nightlife
A neighbourhood in such a sublime location with views over the deep blue waters, you can imagine that the most prestigious hotels are going to be here so prepare to pay for the view.
Why stay in Polce Dubrovnik:
Best place to stay in Dubrovnik for nightlife? Situated immediately South of the city walls right on the Adriatic coast, Ploce takes its name from the Old Town’s southern entrance, Ploce Gate.
With some of the oldest hotels in Dubrovnik, Ploce is known for being one of the best places to stay in the city.
Why? Because here you get the best of both worlds: breathtaking coastal views and ancient city walls on your other side housing the historic city charm and attractions that Dubrovnik is known for. Although just a short walk from the Old Town, Ploce itself is worth exploring.
Things to do in Polce Dubrovnik:
Discover a range of charming cafes, souvenir shops and historical attractions, or relax on the sandy beach, swim in the clear waters or dine at the trendy beach clubs that line the coast.
- Visit Ploce Gate
This 14th-century gate is connected to a stone bridge & features a statue of Sveti Vlaho. It’s considered the second best entrance to Dubrovnik Old Town.
From here you can enjoy views of the old harbour. Grab a picnic and eat it over looking the old harbour, or walk round the harbour and eat it by Harbour Viewpoint.
- Wander around Dominikanski samostan
Dominikanski samostan is a Religious complex founded in 1225, featuring a Gothic-style church & a museum with art & artifacts. Its located close to Ploce Gate, just within the walls of Old Town.
- Ride up in the Dubrovnik Cable Car
Visitors are transported 778 metres (4 minutes) to a plateau with views of the Old Town Dubrovnik and a restaurant and bar.
Be surprised by the stunning views of Dubrovnik’s Old Town, the pristine Adriatic Sea, and the various islands. At the snack bar or restaurant that has a view of the Old Town, you can have a drink, a snack, or a meal. This area in Dubrovnik is excellent for watching sunsets.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Ploce
- Hostel: Love Dubrovnik Hostel – This hostel is the only one in Ploce, but don’t worry the vibe here is really cool. The staff are incredibility friendly. Close to Old Town but far enough away to enjoy some peace and quiet.
- Budget: Villa Gloria 2 – Great apartment set in beautiful grounds with a stunning view of the old city and across the sea, near to everything (5–10 minutes to the old town and cable car), and also very close to Banje beach, which was ideal to spend a day relaxing there. Some of the rooms with a view of the fort are located on the top floor! Ofelia and her sister are incredibly friendly and helpful.
- Mid Range: Apartment Nera – The best view is from the balcony on the second level, which is also a fantastic spot to see fireworks on New Year’s Eve. You can enter Old Town by walking just two minutes to the Buza Gate. Marina, the host, is incredibly welcoming. The apartment features comfortable common areas, a well-equipped kitchen, washing machine and drying area, a variety of candies and snacks, as well as water and juice.
- Family: Fora Apartments – The apartment has easy access to the quieter gate, which is far from the cruise ship drop-off area, and is situated right near to the city walls. The apartment itself was nice, having access to a washing machine and kitchen amenities. We particularly enjoyed how peaceful it was at night, and we slept well here.
- Luxury: Ragusina luxury apartments – The host Bozo is incredibly helpful. Great location near gate to Old Town and Old harbor. The apartment is huge, it offers separate living room with nice kitchen area and a huge bedroom. Minimal stairs compared to other other apartments in Dubrovnik.
If you want convenience, beauty, and tranquillity all in one, Ploce is the area you need to be in.
Best places to stay in Ploce Dubrovnik
Cheapest Hostels in Ploce
Budget accommodation in Ploce:
Mid-Range accommodation in Ploce:
Family Friendly accommodation in Ploce:
Luxury accommodation in Ploce:
Pile – Where to stay in Dubrovnik for
Water polo players love the laid-back coastal town of Pile, which is bordered by rocky Dane Beach.
Why stay in Pile Dubrovnik:
Shakespeare plays are performed in the summer at Fort Lovrijenac, a clifftop mediaeval castle that served as a “Game of Thrones” filming set.
The Pile Gate, built in the 16th century, connects to the Old Town. Locals and adventurous tourists enjoy rakija fruit brandy in relaxed pubs while chowing down on Croatian seafood specialities at laid-back eateries.
Things to do in Pile Dubrovnik:
- Explore Fort Lovrijenac (St. Lawrence Fortress)
Fort Lovrijenac, also known as St. Lawrence Fortress or Fort Lovrijenac, is a stronghold and theatre outside the western wall of the Croatian city of Dubrovnik that is 37 metres above sea level and frequently referred to as “Dubrovnik’s Gibraltar.”
Fort Lovrijenac might be better known to Game of Thrones fans as the “Red Keep”. Tours of Fort Lovrijenac are usually included in other tours such as Game of Thrones tours or City Wall tours.
- Take a swim in Dubrovnik West Harbour
This small natural harbour that can be found in the old town’s western section. The best photos of it can be taken by climbing Fort Lovrijenac, make your way up for sunset!
Swimming is possible here. By the shoreline, there is also a little terrace where you can enjoy a beverage to cool off. Kayaks can also be rented so you can explore the old town by water.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Pile Dubrovnik
- Hostel: Rooms Garden – Only 600 m from the Old Town of Dubrovnik. The owner Darko will do anything in his power to help his guests. This Hostel is fairly cheap given the location and offers mixed dorms and private room with a fridge and basic kitchen facilities downstairs. There is also a cool outdoor space to hang out.
- Budget: B&B Sesame Inn – Excellent location, only five minutes from Pile Gate and fifteen minutes by shuttle from the airport. Going to restaurants and a variety of shops is quite convenient. Despite being centrally located, the B&B maintains a calm and relaxed atmosphere. The rooms are spacious and spotless. The Mihovil is lovely and welcoming.
- Mid range: Stone Elegance – Every unit at Stone Elegance has a private bathroom, air conditioning, a flat-screen TV and a fridge. Some of the units also have a kitchenette equipped with a stovetop and toaster. The hostess, Ivona is super helpful and nice.
- Family: Old City Apartments – all units at Old City Apartments enjoy a view of St. Lawrence Fortress. Each apartment has a living room with an open-plan kitchen and a dining table for 4. The seating area is set around a flat-screen satellite TV and includes 2 sofas. Just steps away from a number of very nice restaurants and cafes.
- Luxury: Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik – Located only 300m away from the Stradun Promenade in Old Town. Some of the rooms offer incredible views of the popular red roof tops of Dubrovnik. Make sure to book the executive rooms to gain access to the lounge, where you can enjoy goodies throughout the day.
It is located in the Pile neighbourhood. From here, you have a fantastic perspective of Old Town Dubrovnik, which is a walled city.
Best places to stay in Pile
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Pile
Budget accommodation in Pile
Mid range accommodation in Pile
Family Friendly accommodation in Pile
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Pile
Lapad Bay – Where to stay in Dubrovnik for couples
If you want to spend your time in Dubrovnik relaxing as well as absorbing the culture and seeing the sights, Lapad Peninsula is a great choice to do just that.
Why stay in Lapad Bay Dubrovnik:
Just 15-20 minutes West of the city and its Old Town, Lapad is a popular place to stay as accommodation is much more affordable than Old Town or Ploce, yet you are only a quick bus away from all of the main historical attractions.
As well as the picturesque beachfront, Lapad is also home to rolling green hills boasting a plethora of hiking and biking trails, some of which offer exceptional views of Dubrovnik.
Lapad is the best place to stay in Dubrovnik for young couple, I’d also recommend it as a honeymoon spot as its close to Old Town but far enough away to relax in a romantic atmosphere.
Things to do in Lapad Bay Dubrovnik:
The biggest attraction in Lapad itself is definitely Lapad Bay (Uvala Lapad), a big waterfront section complete with upscale hotels, amazing seafood restaurants, and adventure water-sport facilities that will keep you busy for days.
- Relax at Uvala Lapad Beach
Beach Uvala Lapad is one of of 222 beaches in the Dubrovnik, the Lapad Bay Beach in Dubrovnik is ranked 29th. In the midst of the mountains and a city is where you’ll find the beach.
You don’t need special footwear because the shoreline is small and has multiple bays with clear turquoise water and light, fine pebble.
Grab a towel, sunscreen, a bottle of water and a book and relax on the beach for the day.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Lapad Bay Dubrovnik
- Hostel: Hostel 365 For U – 20 min walk to Old Town, located in a quieter area of Dubrovnik which ultimately helps your wallet! Supermarket located next door to grab a few essentials. Technically not in Lapad, just on the outskirts.
- Budget: Rooms Jelena – All rooms are bright and feature a private bathroom. Amenities in each unit include a fridge and air conditioning. Some rooms come with a furnished balcony with a garden view. The owners/hosts here are very friendly and always happy to help. Close to Lapad beach and a 30 minute walk to Old Town.
- Mid-range: Hotel Splendid – All rooms come with a balcony overlooking the sea or the park. An array of shops, restaurants and cafés of Lapad Bay promenade are within walking distance from the hotel.
- Family: Club Dubrovnik Sunny Hotel by Valama – Spacious rooms and great for families. This hotel offers “Maro World” (Kids club) which includes children’s playrooms, a soft play area and a children’s cinema and theatre, as well as the innovative Maro Smart Play space, which provides children and families with a unique experience.
- Luxury: Hotel Dubrovnik Palace – All rooms feature sleek luxury designs and earthy colours, with a balcony that offer views of the Elaphite Islands. This hotel has 4 different restaurants, including a beach restaurant. Drinks and light snacks are served at the pool bar. 20 minute walk to Old town or you can catch a bus right outside the hotel.
If you want to make the most of the natural beauty of the city without blowing your budget, Lapad Peninsula is the ideal place to stay.
Best places to stay in Lapad Bay Dubrovnik
Cheapest Hostels in Lapad Bay:
Budget accommodation in Lapad Bay:
Mid-Range accommodation in Lapad Bay:
Family Friendly accommodation in Lapad Bay:
- Apartments Mon Amour
- Beachfront Luxury Complex 2BD Sunset Apartment
- Hotel Lapad
- Club Dubrovnik Sunny Hotel by Valama
Luxury accommodation in Lapad Bay:
- Villa Boban Deluxe
- Hotel Dubrovnik Palace
- Boutique Hotel Kazbek
- Dubrovnik President Valamar Collection Hotel
Srebreno – Where to stay in Dubrovnik for relaxation
If complete isolation and tranquillity are what you want, escape the city and head to Srebreno and Mlini. A sheltered turquoise cove, fringed with pebble beaches and pine trees in rugged mountains.
Why stay in Srebreno Dubrovnik:
Srebreno really does offer a whole different experience of Dubrovnik complete with island vibes and new resorts. Atop the bay is the village, Mlini, a charming place just 10km southeast of the Old Town.
Although away from the bustle of the city, Srebreno are regularly serviced by local buses and boats.
This makes this area the perfect choice for visitors who want to take a plunge in the Azure Sea and relax on the beach away from the crowds whilst making occasional trips to the centre for some sightseeing.
Things to do in Srebreno Dubrovnik:
- Try some Croatian wines at VARDIA Vineyard & craft wine tasting
Enjoy a wonderful tour of the winery. It’s an excellent opportunity to see the surrounding area, and the owner’s passion for what his family has been doing for several generations seems to be quite evident. Despite being small, the Vineyard tour was incredibly authentic, and it was obvious that this is a genuine exploration of the region rather than just a tourist attraction.
Be picked up from Mlini and driven to their hillside olive orchard and tiny winery. Where you can taste every product they make, including their bread, olive oil, two different types of wine, and liqueur.
- Relax on the beach
You can enjoy Srebreno or Mlini beach, both are a lot quieter than most of the because in Dubrovnik as this area is not as touristy.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Srebreno Dubrovnik
- Budget: Apartment Blue Mediteran – Apartment Blue Mediteran features garden views, free WiFi and free private parking, located in Mlini, 500 m from Srebreno Beach. The hosts Jure and his family are very sweet and helpful. There are few stores and about 4 beaches in the village. On promenade are bars and 2 ice cream shops. Dubrovnik is nearby by bus or ship
- Mid-range: Exclusive Villa Mative – Featuring mountain views, Exclusive Villa Mative offers accommodation with a seasonal outdoor swimming pool and a balcony, around 700 m from Mlini Beach. The air-conditioned accommodation is 500 m from Srebreno Beach. The villa with a terrace and sea views features 4 bedrooms, a living room, a flat-screen TV, an equipped kitchen with a fridge and an oven, and 3 bathrooms with a shower.
- Family: Villa Carmen Rooms & Apartments – The family-run Villa Carmen Rooms & Apartments is set in the small tourist village of Mlini, in a quiet area of the Dubrovnik Riviera. This house is surrounded by a Mediterranean garden and less than a 2-minute walk from sandy and pebbly beaches and the crystal-clear Adriatic Sea.
- Luxury: Sheraton Dubrovnik Riviera Hotel – Sheraton Dubrovnik Riviera Hotel is situated in a secluded beachfront location in the village of Mlini near Srebreno. The hotel offers outdoor and indoor pools and a spa and wellness centre. This property is close to the beach and the airport and only approx 10km away from Old Town. The property also have a kids zone for families.
Best places to stay in Srebreno Dubrovnik
Budget accommodation in Srebreno:
Mid-Range accommodation in Srebreno:
Family Friendly accommodation in Srebreno:
- Villa Carmen Rooms & Apartments
- Maistra Select Srebreno Villas
- Apartments Green Harmony
- Nika & Michelle apartment
Luxury accommodation in Srebreno:
Cavtat – Where to stay near Dubrovnik near the beach
Unlike the prime location of Gruž so close to the city, Cavtat is situated South of Dubrovnik, entirely removed from the city.
Why stay in Cavtat Dubrovnik:
You might think that this makes Cavtat a bad place to stay but bear with us, it has its perks. There are two main reasons why this area is considered one of the best places to stay while in Dubrovnik.
First, Cavtat is very convenient for travel as it is only 5 minutes away from Dubrovnik Airport as opposed to 30 minutes that the Old Town is.
Secondly, this small and charming Adriatic City is like a mini Dubrovnik all on its own. Filled with history, ancient architecture, and a stunning waterfront housing dozens of eateries, cafes and bars, it is no surprise that you can stay in Cavtat quite happily.
Another reason to stay in Cavtat is its close promixity to the airport for travellers who have an early flight or those who arrive really late and just want to get into bed and relax.
Things to do in Cavtat Dubrovnik:
- Visit the House of Vlaho Bukovac
Before moving with his uncle to New York, Bukovac spent the first eleven years of his life in this Cavtat home. He started painting here, but he didn’t decide to pursue art as a career until the middle of the 1870s, after visiting North and South America.
His paintings had a variety of artistic influences, including landscapes with Impressionist overtones, although they typically concentrated on monumental literary and religious scenes, nudists, and portraits.
- Wander Cavtat Seaside Promenade
A tranquil place for a leisurely stroll around the peninsula of wooded inlets or simply a serene spot to sit and admire the breathtaking coastline view. Several stores and eateries. A nice, easy stroll that you can extend into a loop that circles the peninsula.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Cavtat Dubrovnik
- Budget: B&B Villa Royal – B&B Villa Royal is located in the centre of Cavtat, 200 m from pebbly and stone beaches. All studios and rooms are fitted with air conditioning, satellite TV, and a fully equipped kitchenette with a dining area. Guests can enjoy on private balconies or patios.
- Mide-range: Apartments None and Nono – Located 400 m from Sustjepan Beach, Apartments None and Nono offers a garden, a terrace and air-conditioned accommodation with a patio. Each unit comes with a fully equipped kitchen with a dining table, a flat-screen TV with cable channels and a private bathroom. There is also a fridge, stovetop and a kettle. Relax in the outdoor egg chair!
- Family: Apartments Red Coral Cavtat – Newly furnished, fully equipped, bright and spacious self-catering apartments with breathtaking views of the Adriatic and Cavtat Old Town. These apartments are ideal for couples and small families with their simple and modern interior.
- Luxury: Hotel Supetar – Facing the beachfront, Hotel Supetar offers 5-star accommodation in Cavtat and has a seasonal outdoor swimming pool, garden and terrace. The property features a bar, as well as a restaurant serving Mediterranean cuisine. This hotel gives of Tuscany villa vibes.
As well as these attractions, frequent buses and ferries link this area to the city, plus everything, including the accommodation, is cheaper here than in the centre so this area is becoming an increasingly popular area to stay.
Best places to stay in Cavtat Dubrovnik
Budget accommodation in Cavtat:
Mid-Range accommodation in Cavtat:
- Boutique Hotel Villa Pattiera
- Hotel Seventh
- La Porta-apartments in the center
- Apartments None and Nono
Family Friendly accommodation in Cavtat:
Luxury accommodation in Cavtat: