“Traveling – It leaves you speechless and then turns you into a storyteller” – Ibn Battuta.
You’re bound to have some brilliant stories to tell after visiting this magical destination. It has a sultry way of inviting you to explore its crevices, learn about its culture and engage with its inhabitants.
Straight off the plane, you’re bound to come across a local street party where the wine is flowing, the Italian music is playing and the square is teeming with pastas, pizzas, osso buco and tiramisu.
This is… Gubbio – A town situated in the Umbria region, which is located in central Italy. Nestled amidst the Apennine Mountains, rolling hills and valleys, Gubbio is situated approximately 40 kilometers (25 miles) North-East of the region’s capital city, Perugia. But the real question is, where to stay in Gubbio?
|❤️ Best Area first timers||Gubbio City Centre.|
|💸 Best Luxury Hotel||Park Hotel Ai Cappuccini|
|👪 Best Hotel for For Families||Palazzo Elisei|
|🏨 Best Mid-Range Hotel||Catignano Hotel Ristorante|
|🛏️ Best Budget Hotel||Hotel San Marco|
Below are 6 of the best neighbourhoods in Gubbio to help you make the right decision when trying to work out best areas to stay in Gubbio for you. We have tried to make the guide as easy to follow as possible.
We have also included some things to do or places to visit as well as some eatery suggestions of either our favourite places or some funky places to eat at within the areas in Gubbio so you can use this as a go to guide.
Plan your trip?
Avoid hidden fees in the exchange rate while withdrawing from millions of ATMs abroad, paying in restaurants and shops, and buying your accommodation and flights using the Wise Card. You can hold up to 40+ currencies at once to spend in in over 150 countries, and convert them in real time with the free Wise app.
Need help planning your trip from start to finish? Check out these helpful links:
- Cheap flights
- Savings on accommodation from hostels to luxury hotels
- Affordable car rental options
- Affordable sightseeing tours and day trips
- Travel Adapter – All in one so you don’t have to carry a bunch around
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Gubbio City Centre (Where to stay in Gubbio for tourists)
Where to start and what to see in Gubbio? Gubbio City Centre, located in the middle of Gubbio in central Italy, is a captivating and historic area that showcases the tradition of the region.
With its narrow cobblestone streets, well-preserved medieval architecture, and picturesque squares, the city center exudes an atmosphere that transports visitors back in time.
Why Stay in Gubbio City Centre?
Gubbio’s main tourist attractions, such as the Palazzo dei Consoli, the Duomo (Cathedral), and the Piazza Grande, are all located within the city center or just a short walk away. By staying in the city center, you’ll have easy access to these iconic landmarks, allowing you to explore them at your leisure.
Gubbio City Centre is steeped in history and offers a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in the town’s rich cultural heritage. By staying in the city center, you can fully experience the town’s historical ambiance.
As a tourist, you’ll strive to experience a destination in the most authentic way possible. The city center is filled with local life, from the lively squares to the traditional shops and local markets.
Staying in this area allows you to be in the heart of the action, surrounded by the authentic Italian atmosphere. You can enjoy leisurely walks, savor local cuisine at nearby restaurants, and engage with the friendly locals.
Things to do in Gubbio City Centre
- See what Gubbio is famous for by exploring the Palazzo dei Consoli, a 14th-century palace that houses the Museo Civico. Take in its architectural grandeur and discover the museum’s collection of artifacts, artworks, and historical exhibits that showcase the town’s rich history.
- Take a stroll through Piazza Grande, the main square of Gubbio. Admire the medieval architecture, enjoy the lively atmosphere, and relax at one of the outdoor cafes while sipping an espresso alongside a biscotti.
- This next activity is a pretty cool experience. You can take in the breathtaking views of Gubbio and its surroundings by taking a ride on the Funivia. The cable car ride starts from the city center and takes you up Mount Ingino, cascading the mountain and the beautiful Umbrian countryside.
- Visit the Duomo di Gubbio, the town’s cathedral located in the heart of the city center. Admire its striking facade and step inside to appreciate its elegant interior and notable artworks.
- Uncover Gubbio’s ancient past by visiting the Roman Theatre, an archaeological site located near the city center. Explore the ruins of the theater and learn about the town’s Roman heritage.
- Do something traditional by checking out one of the markets in Gubbio City Centre. Browse through stalls selling fresh produce, regional specialties, artisan crafts, and souvenirs, and interact with local vendors.
- Indulge in the flavors of Umbrian cuisine by dining at the various restaurants and trattorias in the city center. Sample traditional dishes such as truffle pasta, cured meats, and local cheeses, accompanied by regional wines. Truffles and pasta? What a combo!
Best places to stay in Gubbio City Centre
Budget accommodation in Gubbio City Centre
Mid range accommodation in Gubbio City Centre
Family Friendly accommodation in Gubbio City Centre
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Gubbio City Centre
The area near the church of Saint Augustine
The Church of Saint Augustine is located in the heart of Gubbio, near the historic city center. As you approach the church, you’ll find yourself surrounded by narrow, winding streets lined with ancient stone buildings, creating an atmosphere of medieval charm.
The Church of Saint Augustine in Gubbio, Italy, holds a rich and storied history that spans several centuries. Its origins can be traced back to the 13th century when the church was established by the Augustinian order of monks.
During the medieval period, Gubbio was a thriving center of commerce and culture, and the Church of Saint Augustine played a significant role in the religious and social life of the city. It served as a place of worship, a gathering point for the faithful, and a hub for religious ceremonies and events.
Why stay near the church of Saint Augustine?
The Church of Saint Augustine is located in the heart of Gubbio, making it a convenient base for exploring the town. By staying nearby, you’ll have easy access to other attractions, landmarks, restaurants, and shops in the city center.
This central location saves you time and allows you to immerse yourself in the town’s atmosphere without having to travel far. Bonus!
The Church of Saint Augustine is a significant historical and cultural landmark in Gubbio. By staying in the vicinity, you’ll be surrounded by the town’s rich religious heritage and architectural beauty.
You can visit the church at your leisure, appreciate its impressive facade, and explore its interior, which often houses valuable artworks and religious artifacts.
Staying near the Church of Saint Augustine gives you a chance to experience the daily rhythm of local life. The area is often frequented by residents going about their daily activities, providing an opportunity to observe the authentic Italian lifestyle up close.
You can interact with locals, discover hidden gems, and perhaps even witness religious or cultural events taking place in and around the church.
Things to do near the Church of Saint Augustine
- Just a short distance from the Church of Saint Augustine, you’ll find the Church of Saint Francis. This historic church is known for its beautiful, Gothic architecture and houses remarkable frescoes by renowned artists.
- Located nearby, the Ranghiasci Park offers a serene escape from the urban bustle. Enjoy a leisurely stroll through the park’s green spaces, gardens, and walking paths. The park is also home to the Ranghiasci Castle, which you can visit to learn about its history and enjoy panoramic views of Gubbio.
- Another notable church close to the Church of Saint Augustine is the Church of San Giovanni Battista. Admire its Romanesque architecture and explore its interior, which houses exquisite religious artworks. Ah, the Italians, major fans of architecture and culture as you can see…
- Via dei Consoli street connects the Church of Saint Augustine with the Palazzo dei Consoli. Stroll along Via dei Consoli and appreciate the medieval atmosphere, as well as the traditional shops and boutiques lining the street. You might find unique crafts, local products, and souvenirs to bring home.
Best places to stay near Saint Augustine
Budget accommodation near Saint Augustine
Mid range accommodation near Saint Augustine
Family Friendly accommodation near Saint Augustine
Affordable Luxury accommodation near Saint Augustine
Sant’Ubaldo – Where to stay in Gubbio on a budget
Located on Mount Ingino, Sant’Ubaldo offers breathtaking views of the town and its surroundings. The area is named after Saint Ubaldo, the patron saint of Gubbio, whose remains are housed in the Basilica of Sant’Ubaldo.
This religious site attracts pilgrims and visitors alike, who come to pay homage to the saint and admire the beautiful basilica.
Sant’Ubaldo is also known for the annual Corsa dei Ceri, a thrilling race that takes place on May 15th, where teams carry massive wooden structures topped with statues of the town’s three patron saints. Pretty cool, right?
Why Stay in Sant’Ubaldo?
Sant’Ubaldo offers a range of accommodation options that cater to budget travelers. You’ll find guesthouses, bed and breakfasts, and smaller Gubbio hotels that offer comfortable and affordable rooms.
By staying in this area, you can find budget-friendly accommodations without compromising on convenience or comfort.
Sant’Ubaldo is located on Mount Ingino, slightly away from the city center. This provides a more peaceful and tranquil environment, away from the noise and crowds.
If you prefer a quieter and more relaxing stay, Sant’Ubaldo offers a tranquil retreat while still being within easy reach of Gubbio’s attractions.
Sant’Ubaldo is home to several eateries that cater to budget travelers. You can find local trattorias and pizzerias that offer affordable meals without compromising on taste. This allows you to sample delicious Umbrian cuisine without paying tourist prices.
Things to do in Sant’Ubaldo
- Explore the beautiful basilica dedicated to Saint Ubaldo, the patron saint of Gubbio. Admire the impressive architecture and religious artwork while learning about the town’s religious history.
- Experience a thrilling cable car ride from Gubbio’s city center to Sant’Ubaldo. Enjoy views of Gubbio and the surrounding countryside as you ascend to the mountaintop.
- Sant’Ubaldo is surrounded by scenic hiking trails, offering opportunities to explore the natural beauty of Mount Ingino. Lace up your hiking boots and venture into the picturesque landscapes, taking in stunning views along the way.
- If you’re visiting in May, don’t miss the famous Corsa dei Ceri festival. Witness the exciting race where teams carry enormous wooden structures topped with statues of the town’s patron saints through the streets of Gubbio.
- Find a peaceful spot in the nature reserve surrounding Sant’Ubaldo and enjoy a picnic amidst the serene surroundings. Relax, unwind, and connect with nature.
Best places to stay in Sant’Ubaldo
Budget accommodation in Sant’Ubaldo
Padule-San Marco – Where to stay near Gubbio close to the city
Did you ever think that Umbria, Italy would be home to marshes and wetlands amongst the city walls? Padule-San Marco is a captivating area in Gubbio that showcases the natural beauty and tranquility of the region.
Located on the outskirts of the town, Padule-San Marco is characterized by its lush marshland, picturesque landscapes, and rich biodiversity. The area is home to the Padule di Colfiorito, a wetland of significant ecological importance and a protected nature reserve.
Why Stay in Padule-San Marco?
Staying in Padule-San Marco, near Gubbio, offers several advantages for visitors who wish to have a unique and serene experience while still being close to the city.
Padule-San Marco is surrounded by breathtaking landscapes and the peaceful ambiance of the marshland. By staying in this area, you can enjoy nature, with opportunities for leisurely walks, birdwatching, and immersing yourself in the silence of the wetlands.
While Padule-San Marco offers a more rural and natural setting, it is still conveniently located near Gubbio. By staying in this area, you can easily access the town and its attractions, dining options, and amenities.
It’s an ideal choice for those who want to balance the serenity of nature with the convenience of being close to the city.
Staying in Padule-San Marco allows you to experience the authentic rural side of Gubbio. You can witness the agricultural practices, meet friendly locals, and gain insights into the traditional way of life in this part of Italy.
It’s an opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture and connect with the local community. This is a place for those who are ambiverts and thrive off of both citylife and seclusion.
Things to do in Padule-San Marco
- Visit the Padule di Colfiorito, a protected wetland and nature reserve. Take walks along designated trails and boardwalks, immersing yourself in the unique ecosystem. Observe the diverse flora and fauna, including a variety of bird species that inhabit the marshland.
- Padule-San Marco is a haven for birdwatchers. Bring your binoculars and spot a wide range of bird species, including herons, egrets, ducks, and various migratory birds. Enjoy the peacefulness of the wetlands while observing these beautiful creatures in their natural habitat. Keep track of how many you find.
- Explore the walking trails within the nature reserve. Take a hike or a nature walk, following designated paths that wind through the marshland and surrounding areas. Breathe in the fresh air, soak in the peaceful ambiance, and appreciate the beauty of the natural surroundings.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the importance of wetland ecosystems by visiting the informative visitor center or joining guided tours. Learn about the flora, fauna, and conservation efforts in place to protect these valuable habitats.
- While in Padule-San Marco, take the opportunity to explore other nearby attractions. Visit the town of Gubbio to experience its historical charm, cultural sites, and delicious cuisine. You can also explore other natural landmarks in the region, such as Monte Cucco Regional Park or the Apennine Mountains.
Best places to stay in Padule-San Marco
Mid range accommodation in Padule-San Marco
Cipolleto – Where to stay near Gubbio like a local
Cipolleto is a charming area in Gubbio known for its quaint and picturesque ambiance. Nestled within the historic town, Cipolleto is characterized by its narrow cobblestone streets, medieval architecture, and traditional houses adorned with colorful flowers.
The area exudes a sense of old-world charm and provides a glimpse into the town’s history and cultural heritage. Strolling through Cipolleto, you can admire the well-preserved buildings, archways, and squares that create a warm, familiar, atmosphere.
The area is also home to artisan shops, boutiques, and traditional craft workshops, where you can find unique souvenirs and handmade goods.
Whether you’re exploring the streets, enjoying a coffee at a local café, or browsing through the shops, Cipolleto offers a delightful experience that captures the essence of Gubbio’s medieval locality.
Why Stay in Cipolleto?
So you’re heading to Gubbio with the expectation of bumping into an Italian nonna on your daily grocery run? Well then, Cipolleto is the place for you. Cipolleto provides an authentic taste of Gubbio’s local lifestyle.
By staying in this area, you’ll be surrounded by traditional architecture, narrow streets, and a genuine neighborhood ambiance. You can mingle with locals, witness their daily routines, and get a deeper understanding of the local culture and traditions.
Cipolleto is centrally located within Gubbio, making it convenient for exploring the town’s historic sites. Many of the city’s main attractions, such as the Palazzo dei Consoli, Piazza Grande, and the Cathedral, are within walking distance. You can easily immerse yourself in the town’s rich history and architectural beauty.
Cipolleto exudes a charming and romantic atmosphere. Its narrow streets, colorful houses, and quaint squares create a picturesque setting that is perfect for leisurely walks and relaxation. You can savor the tranquil ambiance, indulge in the local café culture, and enjoy the slower pace of life in this enchanting neighborhood.
Things to do in Cipolleto
- Start off slow by walking the narrow streets of Cipolleto and admiring the medieval architecture, well-preserved buildings, charming squares, and intricate details that showcase the town’s rich history.
- Explore the Palazzo dei Consoli, a remarkable medieval palace located near Cipolleto. Admire its impressive design, explore the museum inside, and learn about Gubbio’s history and art.
- Cipolleto is known for its artisan shops and workshops. Visit these establishments to find unique handmade crafts, artwork, and traditional products. Chat with the artisans, learn about their techniques, and support the local craftsmanship.
- Head to Piazza Grande, located nearby, and find a cozy spot to relax and soak in the atmosphere. This lively square is a hub of activity and offers a great vantage point to observe the local life. Enjoy a coffee, people-watch, and take in the ambiance. Who knows, you may even be invited up for a dance in the square with a local…
- As you meander through the neighborhood, keep an eye out for small, family-run shops and boutiques. These establishments showcase local craftsmanship and offer unique products that reflect the area’s traditional heritage. You might come across a small ceramics studio, where skilled artisans shape and paint beautiful pottery, or a boutique showcasing handmade textiles and leather goods. Engage in conversation with the artisans, learn about their techniques, and perhaps even purchase a one-of-a-kind item to take home as a special memento.
Best places to stay in Cipolleto
Budget accommodation in Cipolleto
Family Friendly accommodation in Cipolleto
Gualdo Tadino – Where to Stay near Gubbio for foodies
Situated near Gubbio, Gualdo Tadino is a hidden kitchen that offers a perfect blend of ancient charm and gastronomic treasures.
The origins of Gualdo Tadino can be traced back to ancient times, with evidence of human settlement in the area dating back to the Paleolithic era.
Throughout history, the town has been inhabited by various civilizations, including the Umbrians, Romans, and Byzantines, each leaving their mark on its cultural heritage.
During the medieval period, Gualdo Tadino flourished as a thriving market town and an important hub along the Via Flaminia, an ancient Roman road that connected Rome to the Adriatic coast.
The town’s strategic location contributed to its economic prosperity and cultural exchange, attracting merchants and artisans from near and far. Today, it’s also drawn you from far and wide.
Why Stay in Gualdo Tadino?
Gualdo Tadino is a destination that beckons foodies with its culinary traditions deeply rooted in Umbrian flavors.
From truffles and porchetta to traditional dishes and delectable pastries, the town entices your taste buds with its authentic and mouth watering offerings.
Beyond the culinary delights, Gualdo Tadino also boasts natural beauty, including scenic hills, lush valleys, and nearby nature reserves.
Whether you’re a history enthusiast, a lover of good food, or a nature lover, Gualdo Tadino promises an unforgettable experience that will leave you with lasting memories of Umbria’s enchanting spirit.
Things to do (and eat) in Gualdo Tadino
- Gualdo Tadino is renowned for its truffle production, particularly the prized black truffle. Truffle enthusiasts can indulge in a variety of truffle-infused dishes, such as pasta, risotto, and sauces. The town even hosts a truffle festival, where you can sample and purchase these aromatic treasures.
- Gualdo Tadino offers a range of traditional Umbrian dishes that will tantalize your taste buds. From hearty stews and rustic soups to handmade pasta and locally sourced meats, the town’s restaurants and trattorias serve authentic flavors rooted in the region’s culinary heritage.
- Gualdo Tadino is famous for its succulent porchetta, a traditional Italian roasted pork dish. You can savor this specialty in local eateries or at food markets, where vendors prepare and serve freshly roasted porchetta, often served in crusty bread rolls for a delicious sandwich.
- Explore the local markets in Gualdo Tadino and discover an array of regional products. From artisanal cheeses and cured meats to organic fruits and vegetables, you’ll find an abundance of high-quality ingredients that reflect the flavors of Umbria. These local products can also be enjoyed at traditional food festivals and events held throughout the year.
- Gualdo Tadino is situated in the heart of Umbria’s wine country, offering opportunities for wine enthusiasts to indulge in tastings and vineyard tours. You can sample local Umbrian wines, including the region’s renowned Sagrantino, Trebbiano, and Grechetto varietals, and learn about the winemaking traditions of the area.
- The town is known for its delicious pastries and desserts, such as torciglione (a local almond pastry), ciambelline al vino (wine-infused cookies), and other traditional confections. Visit local pastry shops and cafés to experience the sweetness of Umbrian desserts.
Best places to stay in Gualdo Tadino
Budget accommodation in Gualdo Tadino
Mid range accommodation in Gualdo Tadino
- Gubbio-Gualdo Tadino Incantevole mansarda con terrazza
- GG8 Restaurant & Hotel
- Casa Flea – Holiday apartment with 2 bedrooms
- B&b A Mò Vedemo
Family Friendly accommodation in Gualdo Tadino
- Albergo La Loggia di San Martino
- Hotel Ristorante Cibarium
- Casa VACANZE ONELIA
- Residenza Le Terrazze di Gualdo Rent Rooms
Added Extra: Areas to avoid in Gubbio
Located North- East of Gubbio, Costacciaro is a small town surrounded by picturesque landscapes.
While it offers a tranquil setting and the opportunity for outdoor activities such as hiking and nature walks, it may not have the same level of tourist infrastructure or attractions as some other towns in the region. Remember to also remain vigilant in lesser known areas.
Situated East of Gubbio, Scheggia e Pascelupo is a rural municipality that encompasses several small villages.
The area is known for its natural beauty, including the Apennine Mountains and the stunning natural reserve of Monte Cucco. However, as it is less developed for tourism, visitors may find limited amenities and fewer tourist-oriented attractions compared to more popular destinations.
With a full stomach (fed by Gualdo Tadino), a full heart (fed by the locals of Cipolleto) and a full mind (fed by the history of the multiple churches of Umbria), it’s safe to say that Gubbio has filled each and every part of your soul, leaving a lasting imprint (even if it is in the form of a few extra kilos – but you’re on holiday, who’s counting anyway?).
If you’d like to save it for later, please save it to Pinterest.