Three words for you – welcoming, wine-loving, Wunderschön (Beautiful). This little town called Würzburg in Germany draws on all three adjectives in a synchronous way that leaves you reeling and dreaming about this slice of European paradise.
It has a similar architecture to that of Estonia, the gusto of the Germans and the cultural prowess of the French.
Throughout this guide, you’ll virtually explore the towns of Altstadt, Wurzburg Hbf, Sanderau, Steinbachtal, Höchberg, Gerbrunn which will help you to discover where to stay in Wurzburg that fits your personality and needs.
|❤️ Best Area first timers
|💸 Best Luxury Hotel
|Boutique Hotel Canel
|👪 Best Hotel for For Families
|BEST WESTERN Hotel Würzburg-Süd
|🏨 Best Mid-Range Hotel
|Hotel Barbarossa Garni
|🛏️ Best Budget Hotel
|Ferienwohnung in der Sanderau
|✨ Best Hostel
Below are 6 of the best neighbourhoods in Würzburg to help you make the right decision when trying to work out best places to stay in Würzburg for you. We have tried to make this accommodation in Wurzburg Germany guide as easy to follow as possible.
We have also included some things to do or places to visit as well as some eatery suggestions of either our favourite places or some funky places to eat at within the areas in Würzburg so you can use this as a go to guide.
Plan your trip?
Avoid hidden fees in the exchange rate while withdrawing from millions of ATMs abroad, paying in restaurants and shops, and buying your accommodation and flights using the Wise Card. You can hold up to 40+ currencies at once to spend in in over 150 countries, and convert them in real time with the free Wise app.
Need help planning your trip from start to finish? Check out these helpful links:
- Cheap flights
- Savings on accommodation from hostels to luxury hotels
- Affordable car rental options
- Affordable sightseeing tours and day trips
- Travel Adapter – All in one so you don’t have to carry a bunch around
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Würzburg Altstadt – Where to stay in Würzburg for first time
Altstadt, which translates to “old town” in English, refers to the historic city center in German-speaking regions.
Throughout history, Altstadt was often the nucleus of economic, political, and cultural activities. It served as a marketplace where merchants, artisans, and locals gathered to trade goods, exchange ideas, and shape the identity of the city.
The narrow streets and lively squares were the backdrop for bustling markets, lively festivals, and important civic events
Why Stay in Würzburg Altstadt?
Altstadt is home to many of Würzburg’s major attractions, including the iconic Würzburg Residence, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
By staying in Altstadt, you’ll be within walking distance of historical landmarks, charming squares, and renowned museums, allowing you to easily explore the city’s rich cultural heritage. Music to your ears.
Altstadt is well-connected and easily accessible. It offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels, guesthouses, and apartments, catering to different budgets and preferences.
With its central location, you’ll have easy access to public transportation, making it convenient to explore other parts of the city and beyond.
Staying in Altstadt provides ample opportunities to engage in cultural activities. You can attend concerts at historic venues, visit art exhibitions, or explore the theater scene.
The proximity to museums and cultural institutions allows for easy access to the city’s cultural offerings, enriching your stay with art, music, and performances.
Things to do in Würzburg Altstadt
- Begin your Altstadt journey with a visit to the magnificent Würzburg Residence. This opulent palace, a UNESCO World Heritage site, showcases Baroque architecture and exquisite interior designs. Take a guided tour to admire the grand staircase, opulent rooms, and the famous frescoes by Giovanni Battista Tiepolo.
- Located on a hill overlooking Altstadt, the Marienberg Fortress boasts drool-worthy views of Würzburg and the Main River. Explore the fortress grounds, visit the museum inside, and enjoy the landscape. Don’t miss the beautiful Marienkapelle (Chapel of St. Mary) with its impressive artwork.
- Cross the Old Main Bridge (Alte Mainbrücke), a pedestrian bridge spanning the Main River. Adorned with statues of saints, it also offers views of the city and the vineyards. Stop by the bridge’s towers, Alte Mainmühle and Käppele, for additional photo opportunities.
- Visit St. Kilian’s Cathedral (Würzburger Dom), a magnificent Gothic cathedral that dominates the Altstadt skyline. Admire its structure, stunning stained glass windows, and the monumental organ.
- Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of the Market Square (Marktplatz). Admire the impressive Falkenhaus, a beautifully restored Rococo building. Visit the Marienkapelle (Marien Chapel) with its intricate wood carvings. On specific days, you can also explore the colorful farmer’s market, offering fresh produce, regional products, and local delicacies.
- It’s wine o’clock… Take the opportunity to indulge in wine tasting at one of the many traditional wine taverns (Weinstuben) in Altstadt. Sample local varieties such as Silvaner or Müller-Thurgau, and learn about the wine-making traditions of the region.
- Altstadt is home to several museums and art galleries. Explore the Museum am Dom to delve into the city’s history and art. Visit the Kulturspeicher, an art museum housed in a former granary, featuring contemporary art exhibitions. The Mainfränkisches Museum showcases regional history and culture.
Best places to stay in Würzburg Altstadt
Budget accommodation in Würzburg Altstadt
Mid range accommodation in Würzburg Altstadt
Family Friendly accommodation in Würzburg Altstadt
- Dorint Hotel Würzburg
- Greifensteiner Hof
- Chase Apartments-Boutiquehotel Style I
- Apartment City Center Würzburg
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Würzburg Altstadt
Wurzburg Hbf – Where to stay in Würzburg near the train station
Würzburg Hbf is a modern transportation hub that connects Würzburg with various cities and regions in Germany and beyond.
The exterior of Würzburg Hbf showcases a blend of contemporary and historical allure. The station building itself features a sleek and functional design, reflecting its modern amenities and facilities.
At the same time, it pays homage to the city’s history with some architectural elements that evoke a sense of tradition.
Why Stay in Wurzburg Hbf?
The station provides excellent connectivity, with multiple platforms serving regional, national, and international train services.
Regular trains link Würzburg Hbf to major German cities like Munich, Frankfurt, Nuremberg, and Stuttgart, as well as to destinations in neighboring countries.
High-speed trains, such as ICE (InterCity Express) and IC (InterCity) trains, often stop at Würzburg Hbf, making it a convenient transportation hub for both domestic and international travelers.
Würzburg Hbf also offers convenient connections to other modes of transportation. Local buses, trams, and taxis are readily available nearby, making it easy to reach your final destination within the city or explore the surrounding areas. Let’s just say your transportation for this trip will be more than sufficient.
Below is a great list of Würzburg hotels near train station.
Things to do in Wurzburg Hbf
- Würzburg’s historic old town, Altstadt, is within walking distance of the train station. Discover the charming streets, visit architectural landmarks like the Würzburg Residence, St. Kilian’s Cathedral, and the Old Main Bridge. Enjoy shopping, dining at local restaurants, and experiencing the village.
- Take a short walk or a bus ride (whatever your fancy) from Würzburg Hbf to the Marienberg Fortress. This medieval fortress offers views of the city and houses a museum where you can learn about Würzburg’s history. Don’t miss the beautiful Marienkapelle (Chapel of St. Mary) and the expansive castle grounds.
- Würzburg is known for its Franconian wines, and a visit to one of the nearby wineries is a must. Take a short taxi ride or join a guided tour to vineyards in the region. Enjoy wine tastings, learn about the wine-making process, and appreciate the beautiful countryside.
- Take a boat tour along the Main River to appreciate the beauty of Würzburg – You’ll also be doing so from another mode of transport, aside from the trains you’ve just come from.
- Located near the Alte Mainbrücke, the Kulturspeicher is an art museum housed in a former granary. Explore contemporary art exhibitions and enjoy the cultural offerings in this unique setting.
Best places to stay in Würzburg Hbf
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Würzburg Hbf
Budget accommodation in Würzburg Hbf
Mid range accommodation in Würzburg Hbf
- Vier Jahreszeiten
- Hotel Barbarossa Garni
- Großzügige Stadtwohnung – Garage, Balkon
- Zimmer in Innenstadtwohnung
Family Friendly accommodation in Würzburg Hbf
- Hotel Würzburger Hof
- Maritim Hotel Würzburg
- Hotel Kunterbunt
- Attraktive 3-Zimmerwohnung – Zentrum Würzburg & nähe Bahnhof
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Würzburg Hbf
Sanderau – Where to stay in Würzburg on a Budget
Sanderau is a vibrant residential area situated on the Eastern bank of the Main River, adjacent to the city center of Würzburg.
It is known for its diverse community, lively atmosphere, and charming architectural character. It’s a town that you’re bound to see on a postcard for Würzburg.
Why Stay in Sanderau?
Sanderau offers a range of amenities to cater to its residents’ needs. Along its streets, you’ll find local shops, cafes, restaurants, and small businesses that contribute to the district’s authentic character.
These establishments often reflect the diverse nature of the community, showcasing a variety of culinary options, cozy spots for socializing, and unique shopping experiences.
The district also benefits from its proximity to the Main River, providing residents and visitors with picturesque views and opportunities for leisurely walks or bike rides along the riverbank. The green spaces and parks in the area offer tranquil spots for relaxation, recreation, and outdoor activities.
Sanderau’s location near the city center and its excellent public transportation connections make it convenient for residents to access other parts of Würzburg.
The district is served by tram lines, providing easy access to the main train station, the university, and various attractions within the city. Sanderau has a little bit of everything for the savvy traveler.
Things to do in Sanderau
- Meander through the streets of Sanderau and take in the charming architecture and colorful facades. The district offers an immaculate setting for a self-guided walking tour, allowing you to appreciate the unique character of the area without spending any money.
- Sanderau is a park lover at heart. It is home to several parks and green spaces that provide opportunities for outdoor activities and relaxation. Spend some time within the greenery, walking paths, and benches where you can unwind and enjoy the surroundings. Again, no wallet required.
- Keep an eye out for community events happening in Sanderau. From neighborhood festivals to open-air concerts and markets, these events often offer free or low-cost entertainment. Check local event listings or inquire at community centers to find out about upcoming activities. Sanderau really is after the people’s hearts rather than their wallets.
- The Sanderau district has a library where you can spend time reading, accessing free Wi-Fi (post on insta and make your friends jealous), or exploring their collection. It’s a quiet and budget-friendly place to relax and enjoy some literary pursuits.
- Würzburg has an efficient tram system, and Sanderau is well-connected to other parts of the city. Consider taking a tram ride to explore different neighborhoods, visit attractions, or simply enjoy the scenic journey. Tram tickets are typically affordable and provide an opportunity to see more of the city. The definition of ‘sit back, relax, and enjoy the view’.
- Sanderau is known for its street art scene. Take a walk through the district and keep an eye out for colorful murals and graffiti that adorn walls and buildings. It’s an artistic and cost-free way to appreciate the creativity of the local community.
Best places to stay in Sanderau
Budget accommodation in Sanderau
Mid range accommodation in Sanderau
- Apartment ECH Königsberger
- Gemütliches Studio im Herzen Würzburgs
- City-Apartment, Balkon & Parkplatz
- Luxus Wohnung im Herzen Würzburg‘s
Family Friendly accommodation in Sanderau
- Ihr Domizil auf Zeit in Würzburg
- Ferienwohnung Würzburg Sanderau
- central & lovely – for up to 6 persons
- Eleonoras Ferienwohnungen in Würzburg Stadt mit eigenen Parkplätzen vor der Tür
Steinbachtal – Where to stay in Würzburg with Family
Steinbachtal is characterized by its peaceful and family-friendly atmosphere. It offers a suburban feel, making it an attractive area for those seeking a quieter environment away from the city center.
The neighborhood is known for its well-maintained streets, green spaces, and charming residential properties. Steinbachtal is arguably your home-away-from-home.
The streets of Steinbachtal are lined with a mix of detached houses, townhouses, and apartment buildings. The architecture in the area is typically modern and reflects contemporary designs.
Many of the properties feature well-kept gardens and driveways, adding to the overall aesthetic appeal of the neighborhood.
Why stay in Steinbachtal?
Steinbachtal is known for its tranquil surroundings and green spaces. It offers a more relaxed and quiet atmosphere compared to the bustling city center, making it an ideal place for families to unwind after a day of exploration.
The neighborhood is in close proximity to several parks and recreational areas, providing ample opportunities for outdoor activities.
Families can visit the beautiful Ringpark, which features playgrounds, open spaces, and walking paths. The nearby Main River also offers opportunities for bike rides, picnics, and leisurely walks.
Steinbachtal has convenient access to family-friendly amenities such as supermarkets, pharmacies, and local shops. This makes it easy to find all the necessary supplies and services for a comfortable stay. Especially if someone comes down with a snotty nose.
While Steinbachtal is a peaceful residential area, it is still well-connected to Würzburg’s main attractions.
The city center and its landmarks, including the Würzburg Residence and the Old Main Bridge, are within walking distance or a short tram ride away.
Things to do in Steinbachtal
- Attend a family-friendly performance at the Mainfranken Theater. They offer a variety of shows suitable for all ages, including plays, musicals, and ballet performances. Perhaps your kid will become the next Beethoven afterwards.
- Take a ‘pirate ship’ along the Main River with Alte Mainmühle. It offers scenic cruises that allow you to admire the city’s landmarks from the water.
- Take a day trip to Freilandmuseum Bad Windsheim, an open-air museum that recreates rural life in Franconia. Kids can experience historical buildings, traditional crafts, and farm animals.
- Explore Festung Marienberg, a fortress overlooking the city. Kids can enjoy the castle grounds and learn about the history of the fortress through guided tours.
- Visit the Stadtbücherei Würzburg (City Library) for a cozy reading session. They have a dedicated children’s section with a wide selection of books, as well as storytelling events and workshops.
Best places to stay in Steinbachtal
Budget accommodation in Steinbachtal
Mid range accommodation in Steinbachtal
Family Friendly accommodation in Steinbachtal
- BEST WESTERN Hotel Würzburg-Süd
- JAMA – Modern&Bright, Terrasse, Freies Parken, WLAN, Große Gruppen #1
- Hotel Brehm
Höchberg – Where to stay in Würzburg like a local
Höchberg is known for its farm/ countryside atmosphere and scenic surroundings. Nestled amidst rolling hills and vineyards, the town provides a tranquil escape from the city while still offering convenient access to Würzburg.
The building landscape in Höchberg is a mix of traditional and modern buildings. The town center features quaint houses with colorful facades, giving it a cozy and welcoming ambiance.
Walking through the streets, you’ll find local shops, restaurants, and cafes where you can experience the local culture and cuisine.
Why Stay in Höchberg?
Nature lovers will appreciate Höchberg’s proximity to the environment. The vineyards that dot the surrounding hills provide stunning views and opportunities for walks or bike rides.
The region is known for its Franconian wines, and you can even visit local wineries to learn about the winemaking process and enjoy wine tastings.
The town has a close-knit community feel, and there are often local events and festivals that bring people together. These events provide opportunities to immerse yourself in the local culture, interact with residents, and experience the town’s German authenticity.
Things to do in Höchberg
- Experience the beauty of the Franconian vineyards in a unique way by taking a vineyard tour on a horse-drawn carriage. Enjoy the leisurely ride, soak in the scenic views, and learn about the local wine culture from knowledgeable guides. It doesn’t get more authentic than this. If you’re visiting during the grape harvest season (usually in late summer or early autumn), some vineyards in Höchberg offer visitors the opportunity to participate in the harvest. Roll up your sleeves and join the local winemakers in picking grapes and experience the traditional winemaking process firsthand.
- Höchberg and the surrounding region host various wine festivals throughout the year. These festivals celebrate the local wine production and provide a festive atmosphere filled with wine tastings, live music, traditional food, and cultural performances. It’s a fantastic way to immerse yourself in the local wine culture and enjoy the lively ambiance.
- Located in the nearby town of Sommerhausen, the Franconian Wine Museum (Fränkisches Weinmuseum) offers a fascinating journey through the history and culture of wine production in the region. Explore the exhibits showcasing ancient winemaking tools, historical artifacts, and learn about the traditions and techniques used in Franconian winemaking.
- Take a walk through the town center of Höchberg and explore the local shops and markets. From boutique stores to specialty shops, you can discover unique products, artisan crafts, and local produce. Interacting with shop owners and supporting local businesses adds to the authentic experience of the town. Who knows, you may even find a long lost cousin.
- Try traditional dishes in Höchberg’s restaurants and taverns. Sample specialties such as “Schäufele” (roasted pork shoulder), “Kartoffelklöße” (potato dumplings), and “Apfelwein” (apple wine) paired with regional cheeses. It’s a delightful way to experience the flavors of the region and learn about the local culinary traditions.
Best places to stay in Höchberg
Budget accommodation in Höchberg
Mid range accommodation in Höchberg
Family Friendly accommodation in Höchberg
Gerbrunn – Where to stay in Würzburg for relaxation
Gerbrunn is a tranquil, chilled town located just a short distance South-West of Würzburg, Germany.
The town itself is a mix of traditional and modern architecture. You’ll find well-preserved historic buildings alongside newer developments.
Gerbrunn has a small but fulfilling town center, where you can find local shops, bakeries, and restaurants serving regional specialties.
You’ll spend your days waking to the smell of freshly baked bread and slow roasted coffee. On a chilly morning, there’s nothing quite like it.
Why Stay in Gerbrunn?
Nature enthusiasts will appreciate Gerbrunn’s proximity to the beautiful Franconian countryside. In the heart of nature’s embrace, Gerbrunn invites you to unwind and rejuvenate your spirit.
Surrounded by hills, lush green meadows, and vineyards stretching as far as the eye can see, the town exudes a soothing ambiance that effortlessly melts away the stresses of everyday life.
Despite its tranquil setting, Gerbrunn is conveniently located near Würzburg, allowing for easy access to the city’s amenities and attractions.
By staying in Gerbrunn, you can enjoy the best of both worlds—relaxation in a peaceful environment and the option to explore the nearby city at your leisure.
Long naps, the smell of aging vineyards and peaceful breezes… Gerbrunn is the epitome of relaxation.
Check out the below hotels near Wurzburg Germany.
Things to do in Gerbrunn
- Gerbrunn is home to several biotopes, which are natural areas that support a diverse range of plant and animal life. Take a peaceful walk through these protected areas, observing the local flora and fauna. It’s a wonderful opportunity to appreciate the biodiversity of the region.
- Gerbrunn is surrounded by inspiring landscapes, including escarpments, vineyards, and scenic countryside. Go hiking along the various trails in the area. Enjoy the fresh air and take in the beautiful views.
- Gerbrunn is in proximity to several lakes, such as the Main River or the nearby Dallenbergbad Lake. Spend a leisurely day by the water, basking in the sun, or enjoying a refreshing swim. Take a book, unwind on the shore, and let the gentle sounds of nature lull you into relaxation.
- Become Lance Armstrong for the day and Le Tour de Gerbrunn. Rent a bicycle and embark on a cycling tour through the Franconian countryside. Follow scenic routes, and enjoy the tranquility of the area. Many cycling paths are available, allowing you to explore the region at your own pace.
- Gerbrunn is also home to a golf course where you can enjoy a round of golf in a serene setting.
- While Gerbrunn offers a tranquil retreat, it is also conveniently located near Würzburg. Take a short trip to the city and explore its attractions, including the Würzburg Residence, Marienberg Fortress, and the Old Main Bridge. Experience the city’s atmosphere, enjoy shopping, and savor the local cuisine.
Best places to stay in Gerbrunn
Budget accommodation in Gerbrunn
Mid range accommodation in Gerbrunn
Family Friendly accommodation in Gerbrunn
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Gerbrunn
Areas to Avoid in Würzburg
Randersackerer Strasse, located on the outskirts of Würzburg, has been known to have some social issues. While it is not necessarily dangerous, it is an area that some locals might suggest avoiding, especially at night.
The Lower Mainkai area, close to the Old Main Bridge, can become crowded during tourist season. Pickpocketing incidents have been reported in this area, so it’s advisable to be cautious of your belongings and be aware of your surroundings.
The area around the main train station (Würzburg Hbf) can be busy and attract a transient population. While it is generally safe during the day, it’s advisable to exercise caution when walking alone at night, as with any train station area in a city.
You’ve come full circle, seeing the welcoming atmosphere of the locals of Germany and becoming a part of the village itself even if it was only for a little while. You’ve tasted the goods and most importantly, sipped the wine. Wunderschon Wurzburg, you’ve been a treat.
If you’d like to save it for later, please save it to Pinterest.