If you are planning a trip to Bristol, you are in for a treat. This city with half a million residents has so much to offer, and the accolades to prove it.
Voted United Kingdom’s best place to live and one of Rough Guides’ top ten cities in the world, Bristol is all about independence and entrepreneurship, meaning there are tons of new businesses and neighbourhoods to explore.
With so many diverse areas, it can be hard to choose the best Bristol accommodation. Using this guide, you can find the best places to stay in Bristol, along with suggested Bristol hotels for every budget.
We will cover off all types of Bristol accommodation options from Hostels to luxury Bristol hotels as well as how to decide where to stay in Bristol England 2023.
This guide shows the best Bristol hotels, best places in Bristol to visit, the best places to stay in Bristol, hotels near Bristol attractions, Bristol neighborhood guide and many more.
Below are 10 of the best neighborhoods in Bristol to help you make the right decision when trying to work out best areas to stay in Bristol for you. We have tried to make the guide as easy to follow as possible.
We have also included some things to do or places to visit as well as some eatery suggestions of either our favourite places or some funky places to eat at within the areas in Bristol so you can use this as a go to guide to pick the best accommodation in Bristol for you.
Plan your trip?
Avoid hidden fees in the exchange rate while withdrawing from millions of ATMs abroad, paying in restaurants and shops, and buying your accommodation and flights using the Wise Card. You can hold up to 40+ currencies at once to spend in in over 150 countries, and convert them in real time with the free Wise app.
Need help planning your trip from start to finish? Check out these helpful links:
- Cheap flights
- Savings on accommodation from hostels to luxury hotels
- Affordable car rental options
- Affordable sightseeing tours and day trips
- Travel Adapter – All in one so you don’t have to carry a bunch around
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Old City – Where to stay in Bristol for first timers
Bristol’s Old City is the best area for tourists visiting Bristol for the first time. This compact area leaves most attractions in walking distance of the Old City hotels, and you can easily explore the Old City on foot, soaking in the rich history of Bristol at places like the Bristol Cathedral.
Wondering where to stay in Bristol for a night out? This is also one of the best areas in Bristol for nightlife and dining, with tons of bars, restaurants, and nightclubs to choose from.
If shopping is your thing, there’s plenty of that, too. St Nicholaus Market is the oldest market in Bristol and still has over 60 stalls. Below is a list of places to stay in Bristol city centre:
Best places to stay in Bristol Old City
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Bristol Old City
Budget accommodation in Bristol Old City
Mid range accommodation in Bristol Old City
Family Friendly accommodation in Bristol Old City
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Bristol Old City
City Centre – Where to stay in Bristol with Family
While Old City has the oldest history, Bristol city center is another of the best areas to stay in Bristol. At Cabot Circus shopping Center, you’ll find everything you need for shopping, dining, and entertainment.
You are still in walking distance of the Old City, with easy access to other districts as well. Surprisingly, the city centre is very family-friendly, with many parks to explore.
A visit to Castle Park is a must, with St. Peter’s Church, Bristol Castle and Castle Park Adventure Playground. Fortunately, there are many best place to stay in Bristol city centre.
where to stay in bristol city centre
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Bristol City Centre
Budget accommodation in Bristol City Centre
- Cosy City Centre Apartment
- Nap Bristol City Centre
- higgihaus@century place (#23)
- The Clarence – Your Apartment
Mid range accommodation in Bristol City Centre
- Bristol City Stays – Cabot Circus
- Central Located Two Bedroom Suite
- Chic & Stylish 2BD Flat in picturesque Bristol
- Gorgeous 2 bedroom apartment edge of Cabot Circus
Family Friendly accommodation in Bristol City Centre
- Future Inn Bristol
- Moxy Bristol
- Hamilton Court Apartments from Your Stay Bristol
- Your Apartment I Arabica House
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Bristol City Centre
Clifton – Where to stay in Bristol for tourists
The Clifton Suspension Bridge is one of Bristol’s most famous attractions, and the surrounding neighbourhood is one of Bristol’s most exclusive.
In addition to many nice places in Bristol, this is also the location of the Bristol Zoo. As this area is largely residential, it’s very family friendly, however, there are fewer large hotels.
Not to worry, as there are still several boutique hotels, guest houses and apartment rentals in Clifton. This is the best area to stay if you are looking for a quieter area with easy access to the city centre and Old City.
Best places to stay in Clifton
Budget accommodation in Clifton
- nap Bristol Clifton
- The Coach House, Clifton and Parking
- Clifton garden flat with parking
- The Cottage
Mid range accommodation in Clifton
- Avon Gorge by Hotel du Vin
- Trendy Clifton Village Mews House
- Quirky 3 Bedroom Town House in Clifton, Bristol
- Contemporary Garden Flat in Clifton
Family Friendly accommodation in Clifton
- Victoria Square Hotel Clifton Village
- The Clifton Hotel Bristol
- Your Apartment I Clifton Village
- Frederick Place – Your Apartment
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Clifton
Temple Meads – Where to stay in Bristol on a budget
Temple Meads is Bristol’s central Temple Meads train station just east of the city centre, and Temple is the area surrounding the station.
This district is very popular with travellers and is also a great place to look for cheap places to stay in Bristol.
If you are arriving in Bristol by train or planning many day trips from Bristol, this is a great place to stay as you’ll be near the train system. The area also includes Temple Church, a 12th-century ruin.
Best places to stay in Temple Meads
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Temple Meads
Budget accommodation in Temple Meads
Mid range accommodation in Temple Meads
- Charming 1 bedroom apartment (+ sofa bed) in Central Bristol
- The Fox
- Monthly Discounts- Most Central- Up to 5 people-AC unit
Family Friendly accommodation in Temple Meads
- Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre
- Novotel Bristol Centre
- PREMIER SUITES Bristol Redcliffe
- Exquisite Bristol Abode -Sleeps 6 with Balcony!
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Temple Meads
Old Market – Where to stay in Bristol for nightlife
Wondering which is the best place to stay in Bristol for nightlife? Another historic area of Bristol that is great for travelers is Old Market, which is.
This district built up around the castle, and now lies east of the city centre, and north of Temple. As the most LGBTQ friendly neighbourhoods of Bristol, this is a great place to stay in Bristol for nightlife.
There are fewer tourist attractions here than in other parts of Bristol, but more unique shops, boutiques and art studios.
Best places to stay in Old Market
Budget accommodation in Old Market
Mid range accommodation in Old Market
- Modern & Spacious flat in the Centre of Bristol!
- Beautiful Duplex with Private Rooftop – Sleeps 6
- Stylish & Cosy 2BD Flat – Old Market
Family Friendly accommodation in Old Market
- Future Inn Bristol
- Leonardo Hotel Bristol City
- Modern City Centre Apartment – The City Awaits
- our Apartment I Arabica House
Harbourside – Where to stay in Bristol for foodies
A more recently revitalized area of Bristol is Harbourside. Just south of the Old City, this area has gone from rough and tumble Bristol harbour to a modern neighborhood with many attractions for residents and visitors alike.
The strategic waterfront location allows for easy access to rowing and sailing, not to mention jogging paths along the water.
There are many shops, restaurants, and hotels in Harbourside, including budget-friendly accommodations.
Best places to stay in Harbourside
Budget accommodation in Harbourside
Mid range accommodation in Harbourside
- Sublime waterfront retreat with private terrace
- Duplex Apartment – Harbour View
- Bristol City Stays – Harbourside Apartments
- Bright & Spacious Harbourside flat
Family Friendly accommodation in Harbourside
- Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel
- Large family, city centre Coach House
- 4 Berkeley Square I Your Apartment
Stokes Croft – Where to stay in Bristol for off the tourist path
For Bristol travellers who want to get a bit off the beaten tourist path, Stokes Croft is one of the best places to stay in Bristol.
With a distinct artistic vibe, this is the best place to see street art in Bristol. You won’t find any chains here, just independent artists, boutiques, cafes, and entertainment.
This is definitely the hipster haven of Bristol, with farm to table restaurants and a raging nightlife scene that ranges from techno clubs to live music venues.
Best places to stay in Stokes Croft
Budget accommodation in Stokes Croft
- Trendy, urban open plan apartment
- 13 Grosvenor House
- Portland View
- Cosy boutique apartment in colourful Bristol
Mid range accommodation in Stokes Croft
- Croft Tiger
- Bristol – The Loft, 3 Bedroom Apartment
- Artist Residence Bristol
- Print Place by Prescott Apartments
Family Friendly accommodation in Stokes Croft
- Spacious 4 bedroom house Near stokes Croft!! Central!!!
- The Old Wire Factory
- Stylish 12 -Bed House in Bristol City
Totterdown – Where to stay in Bristol for relaxation
For a more suburban experience in Bristol, check out Totterdown. This colourful suburb is one of the most photogenic spots in Bristol, thanks to the multi-coloured row homes climbing the hills of the region.
Totterdown reportedly has the steepest street in the United Kingdom, with the views to match.
Victoria Park makes a wonderful place to relax for the afternoon, or you can spend your days exploring the shops and cafes in the neighborhood.
Don’t let the suburban moniker fool you, Totterdown is still in walking distance of Temple Meads and other Bristol city destinations.
Best places to stay in Totterdown
Mid range accommodation in Totterdown
- Terracotta House
- Belluton house with garden
- Light and Vibrant Home in Totterdown
- Temple Meads Station -Stylish 3 bed- Free Parking By Hinkley Homes
Family Friendly accommodation in Totterdown
- Elegant and central two bedrooms house
- Victoria House – 3 Bedrooms, 3 Bathrooms by Cliftonvalley Apartments
- Modern 3Bed – City Centre – Free Parking – Temple – By Hinkley Homes
Filton – Where to stay in Bristol with kids
Another suburban option for where to stay in Bristol is the town of Filton. Located approximately five kilometres north of Bristol, and was once the home of a small airport.
Today, it’s a leafy suburb with lots of green space, a golf course and two shopping centres. Getting to Bristol city centre is easy, but there’s not much else going on in Filton.
It’s the perfect place to stay for families visiting long-term and wanting a residential area.
Best places to stay in Filton
Budget accommodation in Filton
- BSL – Filton
- Rockleaze Guesthouse
- 3 Studio close to amenities & transport links
- 1 Studio, 50m from Airbus, good transport links
Mid range accommodation in Filton
Family Friendly accommodation in Filton
- Deluxe 4 Bedroom House in Filton
- 2 Bedroom Apartments in Filton by Cliftonvalley Apartments
- Stanley House – Free Parking for multiple Vehicles
- Filton Guest House
Bristol Airport – Where to stay in Bristol for transit travellers
For business travelers, or those just transiting through the area, there are many hotels near Bristol Airport southwest of the city centre.
For those who want to travel downtown, there’s a train line and an express bus from the airport to Bristol City Centre.
Best places to stay in Bristol Airport
Budget accommodation in Bristol Airport
Mid range accommodation in Bristol Airport
- Acorns Old Farm
- Green 3 bed bungalow with en-suite and parking
- Airport Tavern Accommodation
- Newditch Farm Accommodation
Family Friendly accommodation in Bristol Airport
- Accommodation Bristol Airport
- Hampton By Hilton Bristol Airport
- The Cottage
- Hillcrest Farm Bed & Breakfast
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Bristol
|❤️ Best Area first timers||Bristol’s Old City|
|💸 Best Luxury Hotel||DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol City Centre|
|👪 Best Hotel for For Families||Moxy Bristol|
|🏨 Best Mid-Range Hotel||The Bristol Hotel|
|🛏️ Best Budget Hotel||ibis Bristol Temple Meads|
|✨ Best Hostel||The Full Moon Backpackers|