Montreal is the second largest French-speaking city in the world, and has a European feel in both culture and architecture.
Being within a half days drive of several major U.S. cities makes Montreal a popular destination for a weekend getaway, located in Canada’s Quebec province.
The capital of Canada’s Québec province is Montréal. The triple-peaked hill in its centre, Mount Royal, inspired the name of this island-based community in the Saint Lawrence River.
Its neighborhoods, have communities ranging from bohemian Plateau to French colonial Vieux-Montréal, which is known for its cobblestone streets and Gothic Revival Notre-Dame Basilica in the middle.
When planning your Montreal vacation, there are many neighborhoods to choose from. Beware that the city has cracked down on short-term rentals such as Airbnbs, so make sure the property you are interested in is properly licensed.
That said, there are still many cool places to stay in Montreal. We’ve rounded up some of the best places to stay in Montreal.
Wondering where is the best place to stay in Montreal Canada? We will cover off all types of Montreal accommodation options from Hostels to luxury Montreal hotels as well as how to decide where to stay in Montreal 2023
This guide touches on the best Montreal hotels, best places in Montreal to visit, the best places to stay in Montreal, hotels near Montreal attractions, best neighborhood to stay in Montreal, where to stay in Montreal Canada guide and many more.
Plan your trip?
Avoid hidden fees in the exchange rate while withdrawing from millions of ATMs abroad, paying in restaurants and shops, and buying your accommodation and flights using the Wise Card. You can hold up to 40+ currencies at once to spend in in over 150 countries, and convert them in real time with the free Wise app.
Need help planning your trip from start to finish? Check out these helpful links:
- Cheap flights
- Savings on accommodation from hostels to luxury hotels
- Affordable car rental options
- Affordable sightseeing tours and day trips
- Travel Adapter – All in one so you don’t have to carry a bunch around
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Downtown – Where to stay in Montreal for Business
While downtown Montreal is most popular with business travelers, if you prefer a global brand hotel, or just want to be as central as possible, downtown Montreal is an excellent choice.
The downtown area has lots of hotels, shopping and dining choices, and metro stations make it easy to get around.
Wondering where to stay in Montreal for christmas? This area loves to show off outdoor courtyards that are full of plants and trees that are nicely decorated during Christmas.
If you are visiting Montreal in winter and want to know where to stay in Montreal in winter, you may choose to stay downtown and take advantage of the underground passageways connecting several hotels and shopping centers.
Best places to stay in Downtown Montreal
Budget accommodation in Downtown Montreal:
- Le Dauphin Montréal Centre-Ville
- L’Appartement Hôtel
- Campus1 MTL Student Residence Downtown Montreal
- Apartment & Studio Palais des Congres
Mid range accommodation in Downtown Montreal:
- Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-Ville
- Hotel Monville
- Delta Hotels by Marriott Montreal
- Omni Mont-Royal Hotel
Family Friendly accommodation in Downtown Montreal:
- Le St-Martin Hotel Centre-ville – Hotel Particulier
- Le Square Phillips Hôtel & Suites
- Courtyard by Marriott Montreal Downtown
- Renaissance Montreal Downtown Hotel
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Downtown Montreal:
Golden Square Mile – Where to stay in Montreal for Museums
The thriving Golden Square Mile at the base of Mount Royal is renowned for its Victorian-era buildings, including grand mansions that originally served as homes to the wealthy business class of the city.
Due to the presence of several museums, including the McCord Museum of Canadian History and Culture and the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, this area is also home to the McGill University campus and is popularly referred to as the Museum Quarter.
A number of large shopping centres are also located within the Golden Square Mile, and nearby streets are lined with affordable bars and restaurants. Due to the area’s continued business prosperity, it was given the name Golden Square Mile.
Golden Square Mile is technically within downtown, however, I think it deserved it’s own little category. This is best location to stay in Montreal for people who love museums and fine arts.
Best places to stay in Golden Square Mile
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Golden Square Mile
Budget accommodation in Golden Square Mile
- Best Western Plus Montreal Downtown- Hotel Europa
- Comfort Suites Downtown
- Auberge Les Bons Matins
- Golden Castle
Mid range accommodation in Golden Square Mile
- Sofitel Montreal Golden Mile
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites – Montreal Centre-ville Ouest, an IHG Hotel
- Chateau Versailles
- SENS Høtel
Family Friendly accommodation in Golden Square Mile
- Hotel Chez Swann
- Le Centre Sheraton Montreal Hotel
- Novotel Montreal Center
- Residence Inn by Marriott Montréal Downtown
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Golden Square Mile
- Four Seasons Hotel Montreal
- Le Mount Stephen
- The Ritz-Carlton, Montreal
- Vogue Hotel Montreal Downtown, Curio Collection by Hilton
Griffintown – Where to stay in Montreal for Nature Lovers
What was once an industrial neighborhood in Montreal is now getting an upgrade to “up and coming.” It’s a great place to stay if you are on a budget, and now has many trendy restaurants and outdoor space.
The location along the Lachine Canal is perfect for those who love to bicycle, and there are lots of great places to eat on a budget, too.
Right next door to Gifftintown is Little Burgundy, a neighbourhood along the Lachine Canal. Little Burgundy is super popular with foodies, with restaurants and cafes lining Rue Notre-Dame Ouest.
Best places to stay in Griffintown
Budget accommodation in Griffintown:
Mid range accommodation in Griffintown:
Family Friendly accommodation in Griffintown:
- L’Hotel Particulier Griffintown
- Deluxe Suites Downtown Montreal
- Perfectly Located Mile End 2 Bdr Unit by Den Stays
- Huge 2 Bdr with Balcony in Mile End by Den Stays
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Griffintown:
Chinatown – Where to stay in Montreal for History
Le quartier chinois, or the Chinatown of Montréal, is situated along De la Gauchetière Street in the Ville-Marie neighbourhood. Around one square block is devoted to Chinatown.
There are numerous Asian eateries, supermarkets, and convenience stores in the neighbourhood.
There are several historical sites in Chinatown. The Wings building, which is near the intersection of de la Gauchetière and Coté streets, is possibly the oldest building in Chinatown.
Best places to stay in Chinatown
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Chinatown
Budget accommodation in Chinatown
- Hotel Chrome Montreal Centre-Ville
- Hotel les Suites Labelle
- Manoir Sherbrooke
- Best Western Plus Hotel Montreal
Mid range accommodation in Chinatown
Family Friendly accommodation in Chinatown
- Travelodge by Wyndham Montreal Centre
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Montreal Downtown
- Le Sand & Stone Hotel
- Hotel Quartier des Spectacles
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Chinatown
Old Montreal – Where to stay in Montreal for Tourists
Old Montreal (Vieux-Montreal) is where you’ll find many of Montreal’s attractions such as Notre dame basilica and Old Port (just to name a few) within walking distance, and quaint cobblestone streets that feel like you are in Old Europe.
Wondering where to stay in Montreal without a car? Old Montreal is great for tourists who come here for the French Canadian culture, and those who want to wander the streets on foot.
This is the oldest part of the city, and sits where the original 17th century trading post originated. From luxury hotels to boutique properties, there is many places to stay in Vieux-Montreal. If it’s your first time in Montreal where to stay.
The city’s oldest and most beautiful street is Saint Paul Street. Take a stroll down the cobblestone street that is bordered by old greystone structures.
Shops, galleries, and restaurants thrive in these beautiful buildings. The entire street runs through Old Montréal.
Where to stay in old Montreal
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Old Montreal:
Budget accommodation in Old Montreal:
Mid range accommodation in Old Montreal:
Family Friendly accommodation in Old Montreal:
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Old Montreal:
- David Hotel
- Le Westin Montreal
- InterContinental Montreal, an IHG Hotel
- Hyatt Centric Ville-Marie Montréal
The Village – Where to stay in Montreal for Nightlife
Montreal’s most LGBTQ-friendly neighborhood, the Village knows how to party. Sometimes called the Gay Village, and nestled between the St Lawrence River and Plateau Mont Royal.t
The Village is home to fun festivals and breathtaking rooftops in the summer, plus nearly 100 bars and restaurants year-round.
If you’re looking for the best place to stay in Montreal for nightlife, the Village is the best place to find it. Boutique hotels and hostels are your best bet for staying in the Village, and you’ll still have easy access to other areas of Montreal via the subway.
Best places to stay in The Village
Budget accommodation in The Village
Mid range accommodation in The Village
- Sunny Getaway in Heart of Montreal
- Wonderful Studio Apartment Very Convenient local
- Faubourg Ste Cath
- Maison Cartier
Family Friendly accommodation in The Village
Plateau Mont Royal Park – Where to stay in Montreal with Family
Just north of downtown, Plateau Mont Royal is a trendy neighborhood of Montreal, that is both residential and good for tourists.
The Plateau is lined with leafy streets and Victorian homes, mixed with modern street art and trendy cafes. There are several parks in the Plateau, including Parc Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Parc Lafontaine and Parc Lahie.
Grab a famous smoked meat sandwich from Schwartz’s deli and enjoy a picnic lunch in any of these parks. Plateau Mont Royal is the best area to stay in Montreal with family, or anyone looking to see how the locals live.
Where to stay in Montreal Plateau Mont Royal
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Plateau Mont Royal:
Budget accommodation in Plateau Mont Royal:
- Hotel La Residence du Voyageur
- MtlVacationRentals – The Entertainer
- Urban Liv MTL
- Urban Gem in Le Plateau by Den Stays
Mid range accommodation in Plateau Mont Royal:
- François-Denis Apartments
- Chic Liv MTL
- Accueil Chez Francois
- NEW Huge Industrial Loft Near Mont-Royal Metro by Den Stays
Family Friendly accommodation in Plateau Mont Royal:
- Hotel Chateau de l’Argoat
- MTLVacationrentals-The MTLVR Kisses
- Le Mont-Royal Lounge by HomeInMontreal
- Bel appartement Plateau Mont-Royal
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Plateau Mont Royal:
Latin Quarter – Where to stay in Montreal on a Budget
The lively Quarter Latin is part of the Quarter des Spectacles and is known as a student-friendly neighborhood with vibrant nightlife.
The University of Quebec sprawls here, alongside indie theatres and French cinemas. Concerts, festivals and art installations take place at the Place Émilie-Gamelin square which is a popular hang-out.
Best places to stay in Latin Quarter
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Latin Quarter:
Budget accommodation in Latin Quarter:
Mid range accommodation in Latin Quarter:
Family Friendly accommodation in Latin Quarter:
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Latin Quarter:
Mile End – Where to stay in Montreal for Couples
Mile End is one of Montreal’s bohemian neighborhoods, with an international, artistic ambience. Mile End is a subsection of Plateau Mont Royal, so it’s a prime location when deciding where to stay in Montreal.
Mile End is also one of Montreal’s most photographed neighborhoods, thanks to colorful shops, historic churches and trendy restaurants.
The neighborhood even has it’s own food tour, so you know it’s a great place to stay for foodies! Mile End is also one of the best place to stay in Montreal for couples.
Best places to stay in Mile End
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Mile End:
Budget accommodation in Mile End:
- Full Kitchen \ TV + Netflix \ Room B
- Full Kitchen \\ TV + Netflix \\ Room B
- 1000 Square Foot Loft In Mile End, Montreal
- M M B Tourista
Mid range accommodation in Mile End:
- Lofts du Parc LaHaie
- Parc Avenue Lofts
- Artistic & Tech Mile End Suites
- M11 Upscale Comfy Studio wAC in Perfect Location
Family Friendly accommodation in Mile End:
- Spacious, très chic & comfortable Maison
- Parc Avenue Residences
- MTLVacationRentals -The Chic Laurier
- Artistic & Tech Mile End Suites
Little Italy – Where to stay in Montreal for Foodies
Little Italy is a lovely residential area filled with vintage cafés, pizzerias, Italian grocers, and traditional bakeries.
The Jean-Talon Market is active all year long with stalls selling fresh vegetables, flowers, and hot food. Locals play bocce at the Parc Dante nearby. The trendy neighborhood’s industrial areas house trendy restaurants, coffee shops, and pubs.
Most of the small, cute duplexes with external staircases, can be found on the residential streets around the market were originally built for the local Italian quarry and railway workers.
Best places to stay in Little Italy
Budget accommodation in Little Italy
Mid range accommodation in Little Italy
- Palms Little Italy Studio with full bathroom by Denstays
- The Santamaria Golden Palms Studio by Den Stays
- Fun & Funky Little Italy Studio with Full Kitchen by Den Stays
- Blue Tropics Studio in Little Italy with kitchen by Den Stays
Family Friendly accommodation in Little Italy
- Le saint-Denis Jarry
- Fully Equipped & Spacious 3 Bedroom Apartment
- Trendy Little Italy 3 Bedroom Condo by Den Stays
- Design 3 bedroom flat with private terrace in Little Italy by Denstays
Montreal Airport – Where to stay in Montreal near the Airport
Montreal’s Dorval neighbourhood is home to Montreal Trudeau International Airport, which is still frequently called Montréal-Dorval International Airport.
In Montreal, there is just one airport. It may be reached by car in about fifteen minutes from the neighbourhood of Dorval, which is situated on the western half of the island and 20 kilometres (12 miles) west of Downtown Montreal.
If you have an early flight or arrive late and just want to unwind before seeing the city, here are a few hotels we recommend.
Best places to stay near Montreal Airport
Budget accommodation near Montreal Airport
- Beausejour Hotel Apartments/Hotel Dorval
- Quality Inn & Suites Aéroport P.E. Montréal-Trudeau Airport
- Comfort Inn Airport Dorval
- Days Inn by Wyndham Montreal Airport Conference Centre
Mid range accommodation near Montreal Airport
- Novotel Montréal Aéroport
- Home2 Suites By Hilton Montreal Dorval
- Radisson Hotel Montreal Airport
- 2314 Rue Duff Court
Family Friendly accommodation near Montreal Airport
- Aloft Montreal Airport
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Montreal Airport
- Holiday Inn & Suites Montreal Airport
- Hampton Inn & Suites Montreal-Dorval
Affordable Luxury accommodation near Montreal Airport
- Marriott Montreal Airport In-Terminal Hotel
- Sheraton Montreal Airport Hotel
- Doubletree By Hilton Montreal Airport
- Microtel Inn & Suites Montreal Airport-Dorval QC
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Montreal
|❤️ Best Area first timers||Old Montreal|
|💸 Best Luxury Hotel||Four Seasons Hotel Montreal|
|👪 Best Hotel for For Families||Hotel Chateau de l’Argoat|
|🏨 Best Mid-Range Hotel||Delta Hotels by Marriott Montreal|
|🛏️ Best Budget Hotel||Quality Inn Centre-Ville|
|✨ Best Hostel||Auberge du Plateau|
- 48 hours in Montreal – A 2 day Itinerary
- 3 Day Itinerary for Montreal
- 10 Cool Things to do in Montreal
- Best Day Trips from Montreal
If you’d like to save it for later, please save it to Pinterest.