Travelers planning a holiday on Hvar Island Croatia are in for a treat! This summer resort island in the Adriatic Sea offers opportunities for outdoor adventure and plenty of ways to relax and enjoy the scenic beauty as well. After a few hours’ ferry trip, you leave the mainland behind and join “island time” in Croatia.
The most difficult part of your vacation may be choosing the best place to stay in Hvar, as there are so many options for Hvar accommodation to choose from. Using our guide to Hvar, we can help you choose the best area for tourists, and recommend Hvar hotels for every budget on this UNESCO World Heritage island.
We will cover off all types of Hvar accommodation options from Hostels to luxury Hvar hotels as well as how to decide where to stay on Hvar Island Croatia 2024.
This guide shows off the best Hvar hotels, best places in Hvar to visit, the best places to stay in Hvar, hotels near Hvar attractions, Hvar neighborhood guide and many more. Check out the below guide on where to stay in Hvar Croatia.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Hvar
|❤️ Best Area first timers
|💸 Best Luxury Hotel
|HVAR [PLACESHOTEL] by Valamar
|👪 Best Hotel for For Families
|🏨 Best Mid-Range Hotel
|Luxury Villa Hvar Enigma with Pool
|🛏️ Best Budget Hotel
|Duje Apartments Milna
|✨ Best Hostel
|White Rabbit Hostel
Below are 6 of the best neighbourhoods in Hvar to help you make the right decision when trying to work out best areas to stay in Hvar for you. We have tried to make the guide as easy to follow as possible.
We have also included some things to do or places to visit as well as some eatery suggestions of either our favourite places within the areas in Hvar so you can use this as a go to guide.
Plan your trip?
Avoid hidden fees in the exchange rate while withdrawing from millions of ATMs abroad, paying in restaurants and shops, and buying your accommodation and flights using the Wise Card. You can hold up to 40+ currencies at once to spend in in over 150 countries, and convert them in real time with the free Wise app.
Need help planning your trip from start to finish? Check out these helpful links:
- Cheap flights
- Savings on accommodation from hostels to luxury hotels
- Affordable car rental options
- Affordable sightseeing tours and day trips
- Travel Adapter – All in one so you don’t have to carry a bunch around
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Hvar Town – Where to stay in Hvar for nightlife
At the western tip of the island, Hvar Town is one of the oldest towns on the island and is often considered the best area for tourists, thanks to a combination of culture, cuisine, and beaches.
Why stay in Hvar Town
If you want to know where to stay in Hvar for nightlife, Hvar Town is the popular choice. Local hot spots such as Nautica bar, Pink Champagne nightclub, Veneranda club Hvar and Kiva bar are all located in Hvar Town.
Pedestrianized streets fit inside 13th-century walls and are lined with restaurants, bars, and shops.
Hvar Town is also the jumping off point for ferries that serve 12 other island and mainland destinations, so if you plan to do some island hopping in Croatia, then Hvar Town is a great place to stay.
Things to do in Hvar Town
- Visit Fortica Fortress:
This fortress, also known as Hvar Spanish Fortress, is situated on the location of a former Illyrian village. The trip up several cobbled switchback roads to the peak is steep but beautiful; it is much easier to get there in a rental car, taxi, or by stopping by as part of an island tour.
You must have a ticket to access the fortress, and you may either explore on your own or take a guided tour for a more in-depth look. In any case, appreciate the panoramic view of Croatia’s well-known coastline, Hvar’s harbour, and, on a clear day, even the surrounding Pakleni islands.
- Visit St. Stephen’s Cathedral:
At the centre of the town square is where the Cathedral is located. It has a beautiful bell tower and frontage from the outside.
The interior is really beautiful, with sculptures and artwork along the walls. It is peaceful and respectful inside, and you are welcome to take as much time as you need to look around.
- Visit Franciscan Monastery:
You can reach the Franciscan monastery from the centre of Hvar by taking a short stroll along the shoreline and the sea.
You may take in a diverse collection of museum exhibits and paintings by Venetian artists like Francesco Santacroce and Palma Junior inside the calm confines of the monastery walls. The 300-year-old Cypress tree, which lies in the monastery’s garden, is well-known.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Hvar Town
- Hostel: White Rabbit Hostel – Rooms are fairly large with lots of light. Ideal location, friendly staff, good size lockable drawer each. The kitchen is pretty well equipped.
- Budget: Barko apartment and rooms – Vinka and her partner are super helpful, ensuring your stay is as amazing as possible! The location is so close to beaches, the town center and supermarkets. The rooms are functional and clean.
- Mid- Range: Pharos Hvar Hotel – Situated in a secluded pine grove and completely renovated, the modern Pharos Hvar Bayhill Hotel offers brightly furnished rooms, an outdoor swimming pool and bar area, as well as a modern restaurant serving international and local delicacies.
- Family: Apartments Villa Tudor – The balcony over the main square was wonderful and makes the room worth the cost. Wonderful modern, very clean and contemporary accommodation. The apartment has a very fresh feel to it and was kitted out. The bed is very comfortable with good linen. Everything is right outside the doorstep, supermarket, bakery and all the restaurants and bars.
- Luxury: Amfora Hvar Grand Beach Resort – This property is 2 minutes walk from the beach. Situated on a secluded bay, this luxury hotel is located near a beach and features a multi-level pool. Sea views are the highlight here and Hvar’s centre is only a 10-minute walk away. All rooms enjoy views of Paklinski Islands or the well groomed gardens.. On the nearby exclusive Beach Club Hvar, guests can rent a private seaside cabin and enjoy a soothing massage.
Where to stay in Hvar Town
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Hvar Town
Budget accommodation in Hvar Town
Mid range accommodation in Hvar Town
Family Friendly accommodation in Hvar Town
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Hvar Town
- Palace Elisabeth, Hvar Heritage Hotel
- Heraclea House
- Heritage Hotel Park Hvar
- Amfora Hvar Grand Beach Resort
Milna – Where to stay in Hvar with kids
Only six kilometers from Hvar is the beach town of Milna.
Why stay in Milna
For families who want to know where to stay in Hvar for beaches, Milna is an excellent choice. The beaches are family-friendly because unlike other areas of Hvar with gravel or pebble beaches, the beaches in Milna are soft and sandy, perfect for kids to play.
The beaches are surrounded by pine forest, and you can even hike the beach path to Hvar town and discover some hidden coves along the way. There aren’t Hvar hotels on the beach here, but many within a short walking distance of the beach.
Things to do in Milna
There is not a lot to do in Milna, its mainly a destination for relaxing by the beach. There are four large, sunny beaches in Milna, and the majority of them are well-known for their many restaurants that serve up daily fresh fish, their own homemade olive oil, and other typical Dalmatian delights.
The palace of the Ivani family, constructed in the Baroque-Renaissance style, as well as the most exquisite examples of 17th-century rural pastoral architecture can be seen on the western half of the cove.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Milna
- Budget: Duje Apartments Milna – The apartment is very clean and the view is amazing. The owners are really kind and helpful. Duje Apartments Milna is set on the beachfront in Milna, 300 m from Beach Mala Milna and less than 1 km from Beach Velika Milna. Each room is fitted with air conditioning, a desk, a flat-screen TV, a private bathroom, bed linen, towels and a terrace with a sea view.
- Mid- Range: Hotel B&B CHAMBERLAIN – A short walk away from the sea, Hotel B&B CHAMBERLAIN offers air-conditioned accommodation units with free Wi-Fi and a furnished balcony. The nearest pebbly beach is 50 m away. Free private parking is available on site.
- Family: Apartments Maslina – Super nice apartment that looks new and trendy. Very spacious and clean. The host, Katrina, is very nice and welcoming and can give tips about shops and bus stops, etc. This apartment also offers free parking. The location is in a small town with a few restaurants and a small beach but only 4 minutes driving away from Hvar Town.
- Luxury: Hotel Fortuna – Amazing family run hotel. The location of this hotel is incredible, right on a lovely little beach. Rooms are very comfy and well thought out with nice little toiletries and a great power shower. The pool is a great added bonus and the sunbeds are the super comfortable.
Best places to stay in Milna
Budget accommodation in Milna
Mid range accommodation in Milna
Family Friendly accommodation in Milna
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Milna
Stari Grad – Where to stay near Hvar with Family
On the northern side of the island sits the main port town of Stari Grad Hvar.
Why stay in Stari Grad Hvar
Not only is Stari Grad the oldest town on the island, but it’s also estimated to be the oldest town in Croatia. As such, you’ll find an abundance of historic and cultural treasures to explore.
Stari Grad also has the most ferry connections to the mainland, making it the main point of entry for most visitors to Hvar, with up to seven daily arrivals from Split alone! While Stari Grad is a very popular destination, it is a bit quieter than Hvar Town, so it’s a great place to stay if you are planning a family-friendly trip to Croatia.
Things to do in Stari Grad Hvar
Every year, in Stari Grad during summer, various concerts and recitals, and the International Summer Music School are hosted, and sports lovers can take in the Faros Marathon, the distance swimming world championship for Croatia.
- Tour the Fortress of Petar Hektorović
On the Croatian island of Hvar, Tvrdalj Castle is located in Stari Grad. The Croatian poet Petar Hektorovi spent his summers in Tvrdalj. The Ottoman Turks attacked the island of Hvar in the sixteenth century.
Witness this magnificent structure, which was constructed as a stronghold close to Stari Grad’s historic border. It contains a freshwater fish pond and a wonderful, sizable garden in a courtyard. There are other flats inside, including Toni Politeo’s lovely studio and gallery.
- Škor square
Kor Square is the most gorgeous of all the tiny squares that Stari Grad is full of. This area was created throughout the 17th and 18th centuries from a stretch of shallow water, almost like a theatrical backdrop.
Its name is derived from the former location of a shipyard, which was afterwards covered over. The fabled Dalmatia is located in this curved area surrounded by typical Dalmatian worker’s dwellings with beautiful luminaries (skylights), sulars, and steps (stone terraces with stairs).
- St. Stephen’s Church
The parish church in Stari Grad on Croatia’s island of Hvar is called the Church of St. Stephen. It honours the martyred Pope Stephen I. St. Stephen’s church is located 125 metres south of the harbour on the same-named square on Ante Starcevica street. It is located in the heart of Stari Grad’s historical district, on the eastern side of a small plaza called Trg sv. Stjepana.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Stari Grad Hvar
- Budget: Guesthouse Wish – Located 400 m from the centre of Stari Grad, Guesthouse Wish is 700 m from the pebbly and stone paved beach. It offers accommodation with a garden with barbecue facilities is available. Apartments comprise a fully equipped kitchen and 2 balconies. A shared terrace and a shared fully equipped kitchenette are at guests’ disposal.
- Mid- Range: B&B Heritage Villa Apolon – B&B Heritage Villa Apolon is located in Stari Grad. Each of the air-conditioned room features a flat-screen TV with cable and satellite channels, a seating area, a desk and a minibar.
- Family: Apartments Ivanković – Quietly located just 300 m from the centre of Stari Grad, Apartments Ivanković offers free Wi-Fi, air conditioning and a TV. It is within a 5-minute walk from a children-friendly beach with a bar and some sports facilities. Surrounded by pine trees and other family homes, the property includes a garden with barbecue and a furnished terrace. Several secluded coves can be found within a 10-minute walk from Ivanković Apartments.
- Luxury: HVAR [PLACESHOTEL] by Valamar – The location is great, right at the beach outside of the town so you get a lot of privacy. You’ll love the sunbeds around the pool. As well as a bracelet offered by the hotel which you can use to pay for things, so you don’t have to carry your wallet around the hotel. The rooms are spacious and comfortable.
Best places to stay in Stari Grad
Budget accommodation in Stari Grad
Mid range accommodation in Stari Grad
Family Friendly accommodation in Stari Grad
- House Oliva with private pool and large garden
- Apartments Ivanković
- House at the seafront
- Apartmani Roić
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Stari Grad
- HVAR [PLACESHOTEL] by Valamar
- Arkada Sunny Hotel by Valamar
- Valamar Amicor Green Resort
- Hotel Antica-Seafront hotel with comfortable rooms and pool
Vrboska – Where to stay in Hvar for an authentic experience
Just northwest of Jesla is the community of Vrboska. It is the smallest town on the island and has a small island offshore known as Little Venice.
Why stay in Vrboska
This historic fishing village has an interesting mix of architecture styles, from Gothic to Mediterranean to Renaissance and Baroque.
The Fishermen’s Museum in town offers a good insight into the history of the village, while several churches in town are also worth a visit.
The peninsula is dotted with pebble and sandy beaches, including several nude beaches. If you are so inclined, there is an entire nudist island offshore, called Zecevo.
Things to do in Vrboska
- Ribarski muzej (Fishing Museum)
The nearby fishing village contributed to the construction of the castle in the fourteenth century. Currently, it serves as a fishing museum where you can discover the lengthy history of fishing, fish processing, and cutter construction.
Located in the Komuna Venetian Fortress in Komia. It has a substantial collection of authentic fishing boats and gear that belonged to the area’s fishermen, who have long been recognized as the greatest in the Adriatic Sea.
- Church of St. Lawrence
To the west of the fortified Church of Saint Mary of Mercy is Vrboska’s parish church of St. Lawrence, built in the fifteenth century. During the Hvar Uprising in 1512 and the Turkish invasion of Hvar in 1571, it was burned down twice in the 16th century.
The 17th century saw a Baroque renovation of it. Five altars in the church are lavishly decorated. and is home to one of Dalmatia’s most significant art collections, boasting the richest collection of works of art on Hvar.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Vrboska
- Budget: Mama’s & Papa’s house – Set just 1.5 km from Maslinica Beach, Mama’s & Papa’s house offers accommodation in Vrboska with access to a garden, a terrace, as well as a 24-hour front desk. With sea views, this accommodation features a balcony. The air-conditioned holiday home consists of 4 bedrooms, a living room, a fully equipped kitchen with a fridge and a coffee machine, and 1 bathroom with a shower and free toiletries.
- Mid- Range: Luxury Villa Hvar Enigma with Pool – Luxury Villa Hvar Enigma with Pool provides accommodation in Vrboska with free WiFi and sea views. The air-conditioned villa consists of 4 bedrooms, a living room, a fully equipped kitchen with a fridge and a coffee machine, and 1 bathroom with a shower. The villa offers 4-star accommodation with a sauna and terrace.
- Family: Guest House Lucijo – Located in the centre of Vrboska, Guest House Lucijo is 200 m from the stone paved beach. Housed in a traditional stone building, it offers air-conditioned accommodation with a fully equipped kitchen and satellite TV. Surrounded by greenery, all accommodation units comprise a bathroom with shower and a washing machine. Some are decorated with stone wall elements and wooden beams, while feature a balcony or a patio.
Best places to stay in Vrboska
Budget accommodation in Vrboska
Mid range accommodation in Vrboska
Family Friendly accommodation in Vrboska
Jelsa – Where to stay near Hvar for nature lovers
Just north of Zavala on the north coast is the village of Jelsa.
Why stay in Jelsa
Jelsa is a good destination for travelers seeking out nature, as it is surrounded by forests and mountains, with plenty of trails to explore.
Being a bit off the tourist track, it’s possible to find good budget-friendly accommodations here as well. There are a few pebble beaches around town as well, making this a well-rounded quiet destination on the island of Hvar.
Things to do in Jelsa
- Church of St. Mary
The Hvar statute of 1331 made reference to the early Gothic Church of Our Lady, which has a single nave. It was then presumably strengthened with a tower after being enlarged to three naves.
The entire church may have been strengthened around 1535. Four chapels make up the parish church today: two larger ones from the 17th century and two smaller ones from the 19th. The “Church of Mary’s Assumption” is the name given to the building today.
- Church and Square of St. John
There is a lovely Renaissance-Baroque plaza of St. John with a modest baroque church in the heart of Jelsa, not far from the Square (Pjaca). Stone homes with charming balconies that date back to the sixteenth century surround the square.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Jelsa
- Budget: Fontana Resort – Situated on the on the edges of Jelsa surrounded by a long stretch of sunbaked rocky and pebbly coast, Fontana Beach Park is a budget resort choice for travelers seeking a laid-back retreat in a quiet, detached and intimate environment that has direct access to the sea and beachfront and being within walking proximity of local shops, local restaurant and the club scene of Jelsa.
- Mid- Range: Vila Santa Maria Hvar with jacuzzi – Set in Jelsa in the Hvar Island region, with Fontana Beach and Mina Beach nearby, Vila Santa Maria Hvar with jacuzzi offers accommodation with free WiFi and free private parking, as well as access to a hot tub. The accommodation is air conditioned and is fitted with a hot tub.
- Family: Apartments Casa di Giorgio – Set in Jelsa in the Hvar Island region and Fontana Beach reachable within less than 1 km, Apartments Casa di Giorgio offers accommodation with free WiFi, BBQ facilities, a garden and free private parking. The apartment provides guests with a terrace, city views, a seating area, satellite flat-screen TV, a fully equipped kitchen with a fridge and an oven, and a private bathroom.
- Luxury: Villa Riva – Set in Jelsa, within 700 m of Fontana Beach and less than 1 km of Mina Beach, Villa Riva offers accommodation with a terrace and free WiFi throughout the property as well as free private parking for guests who drive. Some units at the property feature a balcony with a city view. The guest house will provide guests with air-conditioned rooms and a private bathroom. Some rooms also feature a kitchen with a fridge, an oven and a microwave.
Best places to stay in Jelsa
Budget accommodation in Jelsa
- Fontana Resort
- Seaside holiday house Cove Grebisce, Hvar
- Apartments with a parking space Jelsa, Hvar
Mid range accommodation in Jelsa
- Hotel Hvar – All Inclusive
- Seafront apartment Marina
- Vila Santa Maria Hvar with jacuzzi
- Apartman art atellier Jelsa
Family Friendly accommodation in Jelsa
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Jelsa
Gdinj – Where to stay near Hvar for relaxation
Continuing east from Zastrazisce, we find the village of Gdinj. This is another off the beaten path destination of Hvar; a quaint, stone village with few tourist services.
Why stay in Gdinj
There are a few restaurants and apartment rentals for visitors, but this is really a place to go if you want to just kick back, relax and enjoy the small village life of Croatia.
A few coves and beaches are scattered along the north and south shores of this area, and having a car at your disposal is the best way to explore Gdinj.
Things to do in Gdinj
- St. George Church
There are multiple chapels and churches. The Baroque-Renaissance Church of St. George, the parish church, was built in the 16th century, is located 800 metres from the town centre, and is encircled by massive cypress trees.
Land was owned and governed by patrician families on Hvar during the 15th and 16th centuries when the feudal system predominated.
- Visoka War memorial
A sizable military memorial with an obelisk honouring those who lost their lives during World War II is located on the route leading to Visoka.
The charming old stone homes in Visoka are all owned by the Viskovi family, and while the less luxurious shepherds’ huts are simpler, mortarless structures, the more elaborate ones have balconies and courtyards.
Old stone homes were traditionally “grouted” with pig fat for the winter. This fat naturally melted over the summer and was reapplied as the colder months approached.
Top 5 favorites accommodation options for Gdinj
- Budget: Apartment Sweet Dreams – Apartment Sweet Dreams is a ‘Robinson Crusoe style’ accommodation in Gdinj. Free private parking is available on site. All units feature a seating and dining area. Some units include a balcony and/or patio with sea views. There is also a kitchen, fitted with an oven and fridge. A stovetop and kettle are also offered. Each unit is equipped with a private bathroom.
- Mid- Range: Seaview pool apartment-Lumière, Island Hvar – Boasting pool views, Seaview pool apartment-Lumière, Island Hvar-Gdinj features accommodation with a seasonal outdoor swimming pool and a patio, around 70 m from Tvrdni Dolac Beach. The apartment with a terrace and sea views has 4 bedrooms, a living room, a flat-screen TV, an equipped kitchen with a fridge and an oven, and 2 bathrooms with a shower.
- Family: Apartments Larisa – Set in Gdinj, 21 km from Makarska, Apartments Larisa features a barbecue and views of the sea. Hvar is 43 km from the property. All units feature a seating area. Some units have a dining area and/or terrace. There is also a kitchen, equipped with a refrigerator.
- Luxury: Seaside Cottage Maslina – Located in Gdinj, just a few steps from Torac Beach, Seaside Cottage Maslina provides beachfront accommodation with a garden, barbecue facilities and free WiFi. Providing a terrace and sea views, the holiday home includes 1 bedroom, a living room, satellite flat-screen TV, an equipped kitchen, and 2 bathrooms with a bidet and a shower.
Best places to stay in Gdinj
Budget accommodation in Gdinj
Mid range accommodation in Gdinj
- Seaside secluded apartments Cove Skozanje, Hvar
- Apartments Mateo-by the beach
- Seaview pool apartment-Lumière, Island Hvar
- Seaside secluded apartments Cove Tvrdni Dolac
Family Friendly accommodation in Gdinj
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Gdinj