Nestled amongst peaks that look like whipped meringue, lies a city inspired by dark academia. If Charleroi was a person, it would’ve been inspired by Queen Charlotte from Bridgerton – and that’s not just because of the similarities in the name. Charleroi has a royal lifestyle mixed with contemporary, yet classical French influences.
From above, it looks like an intricate map from a fantasy novel. It is the largest city in Wallonia and the second-largest in Belgium, after Brussels. Charleroi is situated on the Sambre River, approximately 50 kilometers (31 miles) South of Brussels. Without further ado, this is where to stay in Charleroi.
|❤️ Best Area first timers||Arrondissement of Charleroi|
|💸 Best Luxury Hotel||Novotel Charleroi Centre|
|👪 Best Hotel for For Families||Maison LYDIE – Meublé de vacances 3 étoiles|
|🏨 Best Mid-Range Hotel||The pop-art luxury suite|
|🛏️ Best Budget Hotel||Résidence Mantekila|
|✨ Best Hostel||Auberge de Jeunesse Charleroi Youth Hostel|
Below are 6 of the best neighbourhoods in Charleroi to help you make the right decision when trying to work out best places to stay in Charleroi for you. We have tried to make the guide as easy to follow as possible.
We have also included some things to do or places to visit as well as some eatery suggestions of either our favourite places or some funky places to eat at within the areas in Charleroi so you can use this as a go to guide.
Plan your trip?
Avoid hidden fees in the exchange rate while withdrawing from millions of ATMs abroad, paying in restaurants and shops, and buying your accommodation and flights using the Wise Card. You can hold up to 40+ currencies at once to spend in in over 150 countries, and convert them in real time with the free Wise app.
Need help planning your trip from start to finish? Check out these helpful links:
- Cheap flights
- Savings on accommodation from hostels to luxury hotels
- Affordable car rental options
- Affordable sightseeing tours and day trips
- Travel Adapter – All in one so you don’t have to carry a bunch around
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Charleroi city center/Arrondissement of Charleroi – Where to stay in Charleroi for Tourists
The city center of Charleroi, located in the Arrondissement of Charleroi, is the bloodlife of the city and an urban area. You’ll find a mix of historical buildings, modern architecture, commercial districts, and cultural attractions.
Why Stay in Charleroi city center/Arrondissement of Charleroi?
The city center is well-positioned and provides easy access to various attractions, restaurants, shops, and transportation options.
It serves as a hub for both local and regional transportation networks, making it convenient for exploring not only Charleroi but also other nearby cities and attractions.
Staying in the city center provides easy access to public transportation options, including trains, buses, and trams. This makes it convenient to explore not just Charleroi, but also nearby cities, towns, and attractions without the need for a car.
The city center is generally well-maintained and offers a higher level of security compared to some other areas. Being in the heart of the city ensures that you have access to essential services, such as medical facilities, banks, and tourist information centers.
The city center of Charleroi is bustling with activity, especially during the day. Its lively streets, squares, and markets create a vibrant atmosphere that allows you to experience the local culture, interact with locals, and get a sense of the city’s daily life.
Things to do in Charleroi city center/Arrondissement of Charleroi
- The Palais des Beaux-Arts, an art deco masterpiece, is a must-visit in Charleroi. Explore its impressive collection of contemporary art and temporary exhibitions (bit of a play on words there but they are two completely separate exhibitions). Admire the architecture and enjoy the cultural ambiance of this renowned institution.
- Wander through Place Charles II, which is the central square in Charleroi’s city center. It offers a charming setting for a leisurely walk. Admire the statue of King Charles II and take in the surrounding architectural beauty. The square is also dotted with cafes and restaurants, making it an ideal spot to relax and people-watch.
- Located in the city center, Rive Gauche is a modern shopping complex offering a wide range of shops, boutiques, and restaurants. Indulge in some retail therapy, browse the latest fashion trends, and savor delicious meals at the various eateries within the mall.
- Near the Sambre River, the Quai de Brabant offers a picturesque waterfront promenade. Take a walk, with the tranquil atmosphere for company, and enjoy the views. You can also find some cafes and bars along the quay, where you can relax and grab a drink.
Best places to stay in Arrondissement of Charleroi
Cheapest Backpacking Hostels in Arrondissement of Charleroi
Budget accommodation in Arrondissement of Charleroi
Mid range accommodation in Arrondissement of Charleroi
- Private Room in center of Charleroi
- Private industrial room in center of Charleroi
- Private industrial room 2 in center of Charleroi
Family Friendly accommodation in Arrondissement of Charleroi
- ibis Charleroi Centre Gare
- tirou 5 centre Brussels-charleroi-airport
- Charleroi Apartotel Des Jardins De La Fontaine Qui Bout
- AMG – Deluxe Apartments
Affordable Luxury accommodation in Arrondissement of Charleroi
Dampremy – Where to stay in Charleroi with family
Dampremy is a neighborhood located in the municipality of Charleroi, within the Arrondissement of Charleroi in Belgium. Dampremy is a mix of urban and green spaces.
The neighborhood is situated on relatively flat terrain, typical of the wider Charleroi region. Residential streets lined with houses create a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
Dampremy is also surrounded by green areas and parks, and the nearby Sambre River adds to the landscape, providing a picturesque element to the neighborhood.
The riverbanks offer scenic views and a peaceful ambiance, ideal for leisurely walks or cycling. Seeing the French influence yet?
Dampremy has a long history closely tied to the industrial development of the Charleroi region. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, the area experienced significant growth due to the booming coal mining and steel industries.
Many workers settled in Dampremy and its surrounding neighborhoods, creating a vibrant and industrious community.
Why Stay in Dampremy?
Dampremy is known for its residential character, providing a calm and family-oriented atmosphere and is a great weekend spot.
It offers a peaceful retreat from the busy city center while still being within convenient reach of amenities and attractions. Dampremy is also located near several attractions that cater to families.
Dampremy benefits from its proximity to transportation options, making it easy to explore Charleroi and its surrounding areas. The Dampremy train station provides connections to other parts of the city and beyond.
This accessibility is particularly advantageous when traveling with family members of different ages and interests.
Dampremy offers a range of accommodation options suitable for families, including hotels, guesthouses, and serviced apartments.
Many of these establishments provide amenities like spacious rooms, family suites, and facilities catering to children’s needs, such as play areas or kid-friendly dining options.
Things to do in Dampremy
- Enjoy Parc Reine Astrid is a park that provides a pleasant outdoor space for families to relax and have fun. The park features beautiful gardens, a pond, playgrounds, and picnic areas. Children can enjoy playing on the playground equipment while parents relax amidst the greenery.
- Dampremy is located near the Charleroi-Brussels Canal, which offers the opportunity for a relaxing boat ride. Hop on a canal boat and cruise along the waterway, enjoying the scenic views and the unique experience of navigating through locks. It’s a delightful outing for the whole family.
Best places to stay in Dampremy
Mid range accommodation in Dampremy
Family Friendly accommodation in Dampremy
- Maison LYDIE – Meublé de vacances 3 étoiles
- Cosy 1 & 2 parking wifi Netflix gratuits
- L’harmonie 2 chambres parking wifi Netflix gratuits
Marcinelle – Where to stay in Charleroi on a budget
Marcinelle unfolds like a tapestry of gentle contours and verdant pockets nestled within the broader Charleroi region.
Its tapestry is woven with a symphony of residential clusters, thriving green spaces, and intimate commercial districts. Marcinelle has a significant industrial history closely tied to the coal mining industry.
In the 19th and early 20th centuries, Marcinelle experienced rapid growth due to the booming coal mines in the region. Many workers and their families settled in Marcinelle, creating a vibrant mining community.
Why Stay in Marcinelle?
Marcinelle offers more affordable accommodation options compared to the city center of Charleroi. You can find budget-friendly hotels, guesthouses, and apartments that provide comfortable and cost-effective lodging options for your stay. Beautiful + Budget = Heaven.
Marcinelle has local markets and shops where you can find affordable groceries, fresh produce, and other daily necessities.
This allows you to prepare your meals or buy affordable snacks, saving money on dining out. Marcinelle also offers a variety of affordable dining options, including local cafes, bakeries, and restaurants. You can savor delicious Belgian cuisine without straining your budget.
Marcinelle benefits from its proximity to public transportation options, making it easy to access the city center and other parts of Charleroi. The Marcinelle train station and bus stops provide convenient connections, allowing you to explore the city without hefty fairs.
Things to do in Marcinelle
- Situated in the town of Marcinelle, within the Arrondissement of Charleroi, the Bois du Cazier is a former coal mine turned museum and UNESCO World Heritage site. One could say that it’s a bit of a ‘rags to riches’ story. Take a guided tour to learn about the region’s industrial heritage, visit the mining galleries, and gain insight into the lives of coal miners.
- Take advantage of the green spaces in Marcinelle, particularly Parc de Marcinelle. This park offers ample opportunities for walks, picnics, and relaxation. It’s a budget-friendly way to enjoy the outdoors and spend quality time with family or friends.
- Visit the local markets in Marcinelle, such as the weekly market held in the neighborhood. These markets often offer a variety of fresh produce, local delicacies, and affordable goods. It’s a great way to experience the local culture and potentially find budget-friendly items.
- Marcinelle is known for its vibrant street art scene. Take a self-guided walking tour through the neighborhood to discover the colorful murals and graffiti art adorning walls and buildings. It’s a free and artistic way to appreciate the local talent and add a touch of urban flair to your visit.
- Keep an eye out for community events happening in Marcinelle. These events often include free or low-cost activities, such as cultural performances, music festivals, or local celebrations. Participating in these events can provide an authentic and budget-friendly experience of the local community.
Best places to stay in Marcinelle
Budget accommodation in Marcinelle
Roux – Where to stay in Charleroi like a local
Roux is nestled in the Sambre River valley, surrounded by rolling hills and lush greenery. The neighborhood’s landscape combines residential areas with pockets of rural charm.
Streets wind their way through the area, lined with houses and small-scale buildings, creating a cozy atmosphere. It’ll feel like you’re in a suburb from your home country.
Roux has a rich history dating back centuries. The area was originally inhabited by Gauls and later influenced by Roman occupation. In the 19th century, the industrial revolution brought significant changes to Roux and the wider Charleroi region.
The discovery of coal reserves led to the rapid development of mining activities, and Roux became an important mining center. Today, Roux retains its historical charm, with remnants of its mining past scattered throughout the neighborhood.
Why Stay in Roux?
Roux offers a more residential and community-oriented atmosphere compared to the city center of Charleroi. By staying in Roux, you can learn about the daily life of the locals and get a true sense of the neighborhood’s character.
Roux has local cafes, bakeries, and restaurants where you can enjoy traditional Belgian cuisine and regional specialties. These establishments cater to the local community, offering genuine flavors and dining experiences that reflect the local taste.
Roux often hosts community events, such as fairs, markets, or cultural celebrations. By staying in the neighborhood, you may have the opportunity to attend these events and witness the lively spirit of the community firsthand.
Roux cherishes its industrial past, which can still be seen in the neighborhood. By staying in Roux, you can explore the mining heritage sites, learn about the neighborhood’s history, and gain a deeper understanding of its cultural significance.
Things to do in Roux
- Roux and the surrounding region often host workshops and craft fairs that showcase local artisans and their crafts. Join a workshop to learn traditional skills such as pottery, woodworking, or textile arts. Roux is all about getting your hands dirty, in the most artistic way possible.
- Roux and the surrounding region have an iconic music scene. Keep an eye out for local music performances taking place at cafes, bars, or community centers. From live bands to intimate acoustic sessions, attending a local music performance allows you to experience the local music culture, discover emerging artists, and enjoy an evening of entertainment in a unique and cool setting.
Best places to stay in Roux
Budget accommodation in Roux
Mid range accommodation in Roux
Family Friendly accommodation in Roux
Saint-Ghislain – Where to stay in Charleroi for relaxation
Saint-Ghislain is situated in the Western part of the Borinage region, which is known for its former mining activities.
As you may have noticed, Charleroi loves its little villages, small towns where everyone knows everyone and the backdrop of agricultural splendor. Saint-Ghislain is no different. The rolling hills, meandering rivers, and agricultural fields add to the natural (pun intended) charm of the area.
The area was inhabited by the Gauls and later influenced by Roman presence. However, it was during the Industrial Revolution in the 19th century that Saint-Ghislain experienced significant growth and development.
Why Stay in Saint-Ghislain?
Saint-Ghislain is surrounded by beautiful countryside, offering opportunities for outdoor activities and relaxation amidst nature.
You can explore the scenic landscapes, go for peaceful walks or bike rides, and breathe in the fresh air. The presence of parks and green spaces within the municipality provides additional spaces for relaxation and recreation.
Saint-Ghislain is home to various wellness facilities and spas where you can indulge in treatments, massages, and relaxation therapies. Pamper yourself with spa services and take advantage of the tranquil ambiance to rejuvenate your mind and body.
While Saint-Ghislain offers a relaxing retreat, it is still conveniently located within proximity to the city and Charleroi’s hotels. This allows you to enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of Saint-Ghislain while having easy access to the city center of Charleroi for further exploration or any necessary amenities.
Things to do in Sain-Ghislain
- Take a leisurely stroll or find a peaceful spot for a picnic in Parc Canonia. This lovely park offers lush green spaces, beautiful flower beds, and serene walking paths.
- Step inside the Saint-Ghislain Church and immerse yourself in its serene ambiance. Admire the architecture, intricate details, and the sense of tranquility that fills this historical religious site. Take a moment for quiet contemplation or simply appreciate the beauty of the surroundings. Do you remember that “Keep calm and…” fad? Saint-Ghislain is the definition of ‘keep calm and carry on’.
- The Canal du Centre passes through Saint-Ghislain, offering a peaceful setting for a leisurely walk. Enjoy the calming views of the waterway, observe the boats passing by, and relish the tranquility of the surroundings. It’s a great way to unwind and connect with nature.
- Find a cozy café or tearoom in Saint-Ghislain and enjoy a relaxing cup of coffee or tea. Take your time, savor the flavors, and immerse yourself in the calm ambiance. It’s an opportunity to chill, read a book, or simply embrace ‘la dolce far niente’.
Best places to stay in Saint-Ghislain
Budget accommodation in Saint-Ghislain
Mid range accommodation in Saint-Ghislain
Family Friendly accommodation in Saint-Ghislain
Brussels South Charleroi Airport (Where to stay in Charleroi near the airport)
Brussels South Charleroi Airport is situated in the Wallonia region of Belgium, surrounded by a mostly flat and rural landscape.
The surroundings feature open fields, meadows, and farmland, providing a peaceful and spacious atmosphere. Brussels South Charleroi Airport has a relatively short but significant history.
It was officially opened in 1919 as a military airfield during World War I. In the following years, the airport served various purposes, including as a flight training center and a hub for general aviation.
Why Stay near Brussels South Charleroi Airport?
Staying near the airport provides easy and convenient access for travelers, particularly those with early morning or late-night flights.
You can minimize travel time and stress by staying in close proximity to the airport, allowing you to catch your flight without worrying about long commutes or traffic delays.
The areas surrounding the airport often offer a range of accommodation options that cater to different budgets.
You can find hotels, guesthouses, and other lodging facilities that provide affordable rates, especially for travelers seeking a budget-friendly stay.
If you have a connecting flight or a layover at Brussels South Charleroi Airport, staying nearby can be a convenient option.
It allows you to relax, rest, or catch up on sleep between flights, minimizing the need for extended travel to the city center or other locations.
Feeling like you’ve explored Charleroi with a compass yet?
Below is a list of hotels near Charleroi airport.
Best places to stay in Brussels South Charleroi Airport
Budget accommodation in Brussels South Charleroi Airport
Mid range accommodation in Brussels South Charleroi Airport
Family Friendly accommodation in Brussels South Charleroi Airport
- Park Hotel Airport
- Aero44 Hotel Charleroi Airport
- DC Hotel & Restaurant Charleroi Airport
- Albert 18 Brussels-charleroi-airport
Added Extra: Areas to Avoid in Charleroi
Quartier du Pays Noir has a reputation for higher crime rates and social challenges. While it is undergoing revitalization efforts, it may be best to exercise caution when visiting this area, especially during the evening or at night.
Gilly is a neighborhood located East of the city center, known for its industrial past. While it is not necessarily unsafe, some visitors may perceive it as less inviting compared to other parts of Charleroi. It’s advisable to be aware of your surroundings and take necessary precautions.
Charleroi is a city of contrasts, where industrial heritage meets artistic expression. Its architectural gems, such as the Art Deco Town Hall and the imposing Belfry, grace the skyline with their grandeur.
The picturesque banks of the Sambre River invite peaceful walks, while vibrant street art adorns the city’s walls, adding a creative sprinkle to its urban landscape. Who knew a mining settlement could be so beautiful? It’s time to pack the bags and get on that flight.
If you’d like to save it for later, please save it to Pinterest.