The Ultimate Ears Roll 2 is an upgrade to the first UE Roll, of course being the 2nd model, UE has made a few improvements such as 15% louder sound and longer wireless range of 30m!
When I opened the box of the Roll 2 I was a little taken back as I thought it was going to be a little ball (hence the name Roll) but it’s actually a flat(ish) disc shape, its fairly light, weighing 330 grams. The Roll 2 has an attached bungie cord which comes in handy as it allows you to hang the speaker up from a hook, attach it to a backpack or even your belt clip (although I think your pants might fall down!).
The Bluetooth wireless connection is fairly good and lives up to its claims of being able to get 30m away, we even tested it at 35m and it was fine!
The Roll 2 is completely waterproof (covered with a IPX7 waterproof fabric cover) and can be submerged in 1m of water for up to 30 minutes, however as it’s a bit on the weighty side it doesn’t float. UE has provided a solution by including a “Floatie” (which is a blow up doughnut) accessory to keep it above water level.
Unlike its bigger better brother, it doesnt have the abilities to make or take calls through the Bluetooth facilities however who really wants to listen to your conversation over super speaker!
The Roll has 2 main buttons on the front which turns the volume up and down, the BIG plus and minus buttons on the front. There’s a small power button and a smaller Bluetooth pairing button on the back on the Roll 2 and on the bottom (of the back) is a small watertight flap that reveals the micro USB input for charging and a 3.5mm input for other devices.
The App has some cool little features such as the app shows you a smaller cartoon version of your speaker and lets you increase or decrease the volume by clicking on the + and – symbols on the cartoon speaker as well as being able to power the speaker on and off in the app. The app can also tell how much battery life is left in the speaker, set alarms and even customize the sound with EQ settings all in the app.
UE claims you can get 9 hours of play out of the Roll 2 however I suspect this would be on a fairly low setting as we got about 5 hours of medium volume.
While we aren’t experts on sounds or speakers, we found that the Roll 2 was perfect for backyard parties or days at the beach. The sound is crispy and clean on low and medium however as you go louder it does become a little less than crispy and the bass doesn’t sound great but lets fact it, when are you going to be playing the Roll 2 on high. It sounds very good for a speaker of this size.
I have noticed in the app that you can pair 2 speakers to provide better sound, if you’re willing to buy two Roll 2s.
- Volcano (Charcoal)
- Habanero (Orange)
- Atmosphere (Blue)
- Tropical Anime (Multi coloured)
- Sugarplum (purple)
- Reef (Green/blue)
- DIMENSIONS – Diameter: 135mm. Height: 40mm. Weight: 330 g
- WATERPROOF – IPX7 rated: UE ROLL can be immersed in liquid up to 1m for up to 30 minutes.
- AUDIO – Maximum Sound Level: 85dBA. Frequency Range: 108Hz – 20kHz. Drivers: One 2” driver and Two ¾” tweeters.
- POWER – Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery for up to 9 hours of battery life between Micro USB charges. Actual battery life will vary with use, settings and environmental conditions. Charge time: 5.5 hours
- WIRELESS CAPABILITIES – Pair up to 8 Bluetooth ® enabled devices – Connect up to two source devices at the same time. Wirelessly play (stream) to 2 UE ROLL 2s from one source. Mobile range of play is up to 30m or (100 ft).
- COMPATIBILITY – For Audio Playback – Smartphones, tablets and other devices that support Bluetooth® wireless audio profile [Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)] or 3.5 mm audio output.
- 2-YEAR LIMITED HARDWARE WARRANTY
What you get in the box
- UE Roll
- Charger Cord
- Float for the EU Roll (to use in the pool!)
Disclaimer: I was sent a Roll2 for review. All opinions expressed are my own and have not been influenced in any way.