Planning a visit to South Australia? Will you and your partner be staying in the capital city, Adelaide? If so, I highly recommend you think about taking a romantic weekend in the Adelaide Hills during your stay.
I recently spent the weekend away in the Adelaide hills and I can tell you that it was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. There’s something special about this area; with rolling fields of vineyards, picturesque mountains and beautiful valleys.
The wineries are some of the best in the country, offering a wide selection of wines from well known brands to boutique labels. You can pair any wine with a delicious local dish or take a tour and learn about how wine is made. I visited several amazing wineries while I was there, each with its own unique charm and atmosphere.
If you’re looking for a romantic weekend away from Adelaide, you should definitely consider visiting the Adelaide Hills. With its stunning scenery, excellent wineries and plenty of activities to do, it really is an unforgettable destination for couples looking to get away for a few days.
Nestled between lush forests and stunning landscapes, the perfect getaway and road trip for you and your other half.
A chance to take it easy, unwind and appreciate some time to really enjoy each other’s company whilst experiencing the beautiful, picturesque region of the Adelaide Hills and everything it has to offer.
Below is a detailed 2 days itinerary, for the Adelaide Hills and a chance to embark on a romantic getaway into the colorful forests and its charming towns.
Plan your trip?
Avoid hidden fees in the exchange rate while withdrawing from millions of ATMs abroad, paying in restaurants and shops, and buying your accommodation and flights using the Wise Card. You can hold up to 40+ currencies at once to spend in in over 150 countries, and convert them in real time with the free Wise app.
Need help planning your trip from start to finish? Check out these helpful links:
- Cheap flights
- Savings on accommodation from hostels to luxury hotels
- Affordable car rental options
- Affordable sightseeing tours and day trips
- Travel Adapter – All in one so you don’t have to carry a bunch around
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Best time to visit the Adelaide Hills?
The best time to visit this cultural hub with its pleasant climate, is during the spring and autumn months. These times of the year are considered the most favorable seasons for an unforgettable experience during your stay.
Spring in the Adelaide Hills is a beautiful time to visit.
The region comes alive with colorful blooms, lush green landscapes, and mild temperatures. The weather is generally pleasant, with temperatures ranging from around 15°C to 25°C. This time of year is ideal for visiting the Adelaide Hills wineries and witness the vineyards in full bloom.
Autumn is another wonderful time to adventure around the Adelaide Hills.
The weather is mild and comfortable, with temperatures ranging from around 12°C to 23°C. The leaves of the trees change to vibrant shades of red, orange, and yellow. Autumn is the harvest season, making it an excellent time to indulge in delicious seasonal meals and the various wineries during the grape harvest.
However, if you enjoy cooler temperatures and winter activities, visiting during the winter months from June to August can be a great experience for a romantic getaway. The time to cozy up by a fireplace, enjoy hearty meals at local eateries, and explore the region’s indoor attractions.
Where to stay over the weekend in the Adelaide Hills?
Deciding where to stay can be a little difficult at times especially since there are many options in Adelaide Hills for accommodation, so let us stop you right there and help you in your search by recommending the beautiful and well-built Eden Gardens, in Scenic Aldgate.
With an architectural and natural twist of modern-boho, mixed in with a resort like feel and a cabin-in-the-woods type atmosphere.
Surrounded by a beautiful setting of green forest and rolling hills, Eden Gardens offers a cozy and homely feel, with a fun mix of attractive furniture and comfortable bedding.
Only a couple of kilometers from nearby attractions, shops and restaurants, making it easily accessible. Pet friendly, with a large and homely kitchen for a love-inspired dinner and a massive back yard for having the perfect summer’s night meal outside.
If Eden Gardens isnt available, you can check out other accomodation options here.
Romantic Weekend in the Adelaide Hills Itinerary
We have pieced together the perfect Adelaide Hills Itinerary for a romantic getaway below. Be sure to book any services or wineries in advance and secure yourselves a spot, especially during and around the holiday seasons. With only 48 hours in the Adelaide Hills, here is the plan.
What you need to do before you take this trip:
- Book your accomodation
- Contact the chauffeur service (Adelaide Hills Chauffeur and Limo Service) to book them for your weekend away. When booking you can choose which wineries you want to go to or they can select a few for you.
- Check for availability and make sure to book in advance with the wineries for the selected dates you have chosen . This is especially important if you want to have lunch at one.
Day 1 in the Adelaide Hills
- Arrive at your accomodation
- Wander around Hahndorf or Aldgate
- Enjoy a romantic dinner
- Relax with some self care
Day 2 in the Adelaide Hills
- Be picked up by your private driver and head to:
- Shaw + Smith
- The Lane Vineyards
- Longview Winery (depending on time)
- End the evening with a nice dinner
Day 1: Friday (or Saturday)
Arriving in the morning
Since there self check-in (at Eden Gardens) starts from 3pm, depending on your arrival time, make the most of your day in the Adelaide Hills and experience its charming atmosphere by visiting the surrounding areas for a relaxing breakfast or lunch. A couple of options include:
Only an 11-minute drive from Eden Garden, is known for its original German-style architecture and delicious food. The main street is a highlight for a lot of visitors and known to be a favorite as a day trip destination for couples and families.
After your meal, take a romantic stroll along its quaint streets, filled with boutique shops and art galleries. Hahndorf is a shoppers paradise and home to local craft beer loved by the locals.
Only 3-minutes away, is a pretty leafy village known for its history and picturesque landscapes. If you have time to spare once you’ve finished eating, visit one of the many nature trails and walk hand-in-hand through forests and parks.
Experience the serene atmosphere of Aldgate, breathe in the quietness and take in the history surrounding you.
Time for your Afternoon Check-in at 3pm
Settle into your weekend home (or hotel) and unwind for an hour or so. Relax as you unpack, before you get ready to make a quick trip to the shops down the road.
Head to the nearby supermarket – about 3-minutes away – and buy your ingredients to cook an intimate, candlelit dinner together.
Open up a bottle of Adelaide Hills Wine and fully immerse yourself in an amorous evening with your loved-one. Sit and relax on the guesthouse’s private terrace, whilst you enjoy the tranquil surroundings and fresh air of this small corner of paradise in between the trees.
Get comfortable, pour another glass of wine for yourselves and prepare for some self-pampering. Enjoy locally-made face masks or get out the board and card games before you head to bed for an early night.
Get some good sleep in, as the following day is filled with a lots of wonderful wine tour experiences.
Day 2: Saturday (or Sunday)
Wake up at a reasonable time, enjoy a cup of coffee or tea to start your day on the terrace and begin prepping for a wake-me-up breakfast with your partner.
Before your day trip starts, get yourselves ready for a private driver from the Adelaide Hills Chauffeur and Limo Service, that will provide comfortable transport to your winery of choice in the area.
Wine tasting in the Adelaide Hills is a delightful experience, offering a unique and diverse range of wines due to the region’s cool climate and expert winemakers. Some wineries in the Adelaide Hills offer food and wine pairing experiences.
You can indulge in gourmet platters or artisanal cheeses that compliment the wines, enhancing the overall tasting experience.
The area is home to numerous boutique wineries that offer personalized tasting experiences and many of them are family-owned, providing a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
Overall, wine tasting in the Adelaide Hills is a rewarding experience for both wine enthusiasts and casual tasters alike. The region creates a memorable and enjoyable wine journey, making it a must-visit destination for wine lovers visiting South Australia.
Below we have listed a couple of recommended wineries, with some including various lunch options, that will take you through a tasteful experience with your other half:
Open daily: 10am – 5pm
Nepenthe was established in 1994 and has since become one of the iconic wineries in the Adelaide Hills. The winery is committed to sustainable practices and environmentally-friendly agriculture.
This winery offers their visitors a warm and welcoming cellar door experience. The tasting room provides a comfortable and scenic setting to sample a selection of their wines.
The knowledgeable and friendly staff will guide you through the tasting process, sharing information about the wines’ characteristics and the winemaking process.
The winery’s portfolio includes a range of cool-climate wines, with a particular focus on varieties such as Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Shiraz.
Wine Tasting prices (as of June 2023): (per person)
- A guided tasting: $15 AUD – A customized & guided wine tasting.
- Nepenthe Flight: $25 AUD – Half glasses of four of their most famous wines.
- Group Reservation: $20 AUD – Each person will receive a Taste of Nepenthe tasting guided by a knowledgeable team.
- Apex Tasting $45 AUD – Book a tasting of their most premium single vineyard range, APEX.
- Lawn Reservation: $12 AUD – Book a space on their beautiful lawn area. For an extra experience add on a picnic option – Weather dependent.
Shaw + Smith (Lunch options available)
Open daily: 10am – 5pm
Just a 1-2 minute drive from Nepenthe, Shaw + Smith is a prestigious winery known for producing exceptional cool-climate wines. Founded in 1989, Shaw + Smith has become renowned for its dedication to quality, sustainability, and innovation in winemaking.
The winery’s modern and architecturally stunning cellar door provides a relaxed and inviting atmosphere to enjoy the wines. The staff will provide insights into the winemaking process, the unique terroir of the Adelaide Hills, and the story behind each wine.
It offers a memorable wine tasting experience, guided by knowledgeable and passionate staff.They are particularly well-known for their Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, and Shiraz wines, which have garnered critical acclaim both in Australia and internationally.
The best thing about wine tasting at Smith + Shaw is that they provide you with 5 tasting glasses upfront an then leave you to enjoy and read about the wines on your own. Don’t worry the staff will check in if you have questions.
Shaw + Smith offers a fantastic dining experience at their onsite restaurant, “The Gallery.” The restaurant is renowned for its contemporary Australian cuisine, focusing on fresh, seasonal, and locally sourced ingredients.
Wine Tasting prices (as of June 2023): (per person)
- Classic Wine Flight: $25 AUD – Taste five new release wines.
- Single Vineyard Wine Flight: $40 AUD – Taste three new release single site wines.
- Feature Wine Flight: $30 AUD – Taste three wines from MMAD Vineyard, Blewitt Springs. Available throughout June and July.
- Balhannah Tour: $130 AUD – Go behind the scenes on a comprehensive tour of the winery and vineyard at Balhannah, followed by an extended wine flight tasting, accompanied by seasonal small plates from our cold larder menu. Available Monday, Friday and Sunday at 11am or by appointment.
The Lane Vineyards (Lunch options available)
Open daily: 10am – 5pm
The Lane Vineyards is a picturesque and boutique winery. An excellent choice for a romantic wine tasting experience, offering a perfect blend of stunning vineyard views, high-quality wines, and warm hospitality.
The winery is known for producing premium cool-climate wines, including Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, and Shiraz. They have received critical acclaim and numerous awards, making the tasting experience even more special for wine enthusiasts.
The winery also offers gourmet food pairings that complement their wines. You can take a romantic stroll through the vineyards, hand-in-hand, and immerse yourselves in the natural beauty of the estate.
In addition to wine tastings, The Lane Vineyards offers guided tours of their vineyards and winery facilities. This behind-the-scenes insight into the winemaking process can add depth to your appreciation of the wines.
Wine Tasting prices (as of June 2023):
- Gathering Experience: $70 AUD – Take a seat and enjoy a styled wine tasting that showcases the harmony between their single-vineyard wines and restaurant menu. (24 hours notice is needed for bookings)
- The Lane Series: $15 AUD – An exploration of their Lane range, from Sparkling to Shiraz.
- Estate: $25 AUD – A heightened discovery of their single-vineyard Estate range, from Cuvée to Cabernet.
- Chardonnay: $25 AUD – Taste Chardonnay in five forms – from their crisp, fine beaded blanc de blancs through the full textural spectrum – creamy spice, toasty oak and flinty minerals.
- Shiraz: $25 AUD – Cool-climate Shiraz is a Hills specialty. Taste five different styles and blends from sites across the hills showcasing the diverse characteristics of this variety. ($15 of your tasting fee is redeemable on a take away wine purchased on the day.)
- Blend your own experience: $120 AUD | 2 – 6 guests – An interactive experience taking you through the art of winemaking before being unleashed to create your own master blend! (2 hours)
Open daily: 11:30am – 5pm
Sidewood Estate is a charming and acclaimed winery known for its exceptional wines, stunning vineyard views, and welcoming atmosphere. If you’re looking for a romantic wine tasting experience with your partner, Sidewood Estate offers an ideal setting and experience.
Like the previous wineries they have produced award-winning cool-climate wines, including Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir, and Shiraz.
All of which you can buy individually and take home with you. The cellar door at Sidewood Estate is intimate, with a cozy atmosphere and offers personalized wine tastings, guided by informative and smiling staff.
Founded in 2004 with a vision to create beautifully balanced, elegant wines with a sense of place. The estate offers the chance to take romantic strolls through the vineyards, hand-in-hand, and revel in the natural beauty surrounding the estate.
Wine Tasting prices (as of June 2023):
- Interactive Wine Tasting: $10 AUD – Let their cellar door team guide you through a bespoke selection of award winning wines and ciders. (Redeemable on takeaway purchases)
- Self Guided Wine Flight: From $15 AUD – Their wine flights are made up of 4 x 60ml pours and are designed for you to enjoy in your own time. (Redeemable on a dozen bottle take-home purchases.)
- Nearly Naked 0% Alcohol Wine Flight: $24 AUD – The first ever Adelaide Hills premium zero-alcohol wine flight, their Nearly Naked wines are stripped bare of alcohol. This wine flight is made up of 4 x 60ml pours, designed to enjoy in your own time.
- Introduction to Wine Tasting Masterclass: $35 AUD – 45-minutes long, this masterclass will teach you the basics leaving you feeling like an expert in all things wine.
- Sidewood Sabrage Masterclass: $40 AUD – 35-minutes long, you will learn the art of Sabrage, the traditional technique of opening a bottle of sparkling wine using a sword. They’ll walk you through their Adelaide Hills range, then kick back, relax and enjoy the bottle you opened.
Build Your Own Platter – Select your own cheeses, cold meats and crackers from their range of local produce to build your own platter to accompany your wine or cider tasting.
Longview Winery (depending on time)
Open daily: 11am – 4pm
Longview Vineyard is set in a stunning location with a captivating and picturesque winery. Prepare for scenic vineyard views, excellent wines, and romantic settings in all corners. It offers an ideal destination for a romantic wine tasting experience with your partner.
The winery’s dedication to quality is reflected in their wines, making the tasting experience a memorable one. Longview Vineyard is renowned for producing exceptional cool-climate wines, including Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, and Pinot Grigio.
This special place offers gourmet food pairings that perfectly complements their wines. Appreciate a good selection of artisanal cheeses, local produce, and other delicious treats, enhancing the tasting experience.
Wine Tasting prices (as of June 2023):
Monday & Tuesday: Structured tastings are not available. Wine by the glass or bottle only.
Wednesday to Sunday: Structured wine tastings, antipasti platters and cheese boards are available.
Friday to Sunday: Structured wine tastings, antipasti platters, cheese boards & the lunch menu available.
Adelaide Hills Food & Wine Experiences – Built and inspired by their Italian heritage, the Winery has crafted a Cellar Door Menu to complement your tasting journey.
- Core Tasting: $15 AUD -Includes 6 x Longview Range wines.
- Marble Tasting: $25 AUD – Includes 5 x Macclesfield Range wines.
- Italiana Tasting: $25 AUD – Includes 5 x Italian Range wines.
- The Picnic Experience – Collect your picnic blanket and basket from the Cellar Door. Select your produce from their fridge. Choose your Longview wine and head out to find a spot under the shady peppercorn tree, or wander up to the iconic twin palms.
- Picnic Experiences $65 AUD – Choose three items from the Cellar fridge, with the option to hire a picnic blanket and basket, cheese board and knife, glassware – a refundable deposit is required.
From my personal experience, a day of exploring and drinking wine leaves you very content and tired.
On your way back home, depending on whatever supplies you have in the fridge, make a quick turn at one of the supermarkets or general shops in the area and grab whatever ingredients you need to end your day off with an easy dinner.
Sit back, relax and enjoy the last few hours of the day with the person you love in the homely atmosphere Eden Garden provides.
If you’re looking for the perfect, romantic getaway during your stay around Adelaide then hopefully this ‘48-hours in Adelaide Hills Itinerary’ will make it a memorable one with your partner.
Like I mentioned above, make sure you secure a spot at whichever winery you decide on. As well as calling up the Chauffeur service and booking the day with them before your arrival.
Sometimes a weekend away, surrounded by forestry-hills and a relaxing ambience is all you need for you and your partner to escape the business of life.
Read more about Adelaide: