On the eastern coast of Thailand, you’ll find Koh Samui, Thailand’s largest island. Best known for lush rainforests against sandy beaches and luxury resorts, Koh Samui is gaining popularity on other Thailand beach destinations. This 230 square-kilometer island offers plenty of tourist activities, but you might also want to take a few day trips from Koh Samui while you’re there. We’ve rounded up some of the most popular day trips from Koh Samui.
Plan your trip to Thailand
Avoid hidden fees in the exchange rate while withdrawing from millions of ATMs abroad, paying in restaurants and shops, and buying your accommodation and flights using the Wise Card. You can hold up to 50+ currencies at once, and convert them in real time with the free Wise app.
Need help planning your trip from start to finish? Check out these:
- Cheap flights
- Savings on accommodation from hostels to luxury hotels
- Affordable car rental options
- Affordable sightseeing tours and day trips
Read more on Thailand:
Looking for a particular destination, see below otherwise you can go to Thailand Travel Guide to view current posts
- Phuket or Krabi – Choosing the Perfect Destination for your Thailand Trip
- 9 Things You Must Do in Thailand
- Loy Krathong Festival
- Our top 10 hot tips on how to barter your way to the best price in Thailand
- A few Common Scams in Thailand
- A Few Things I Miss About Thailand
- 13 of the Best Instagram photos in Thailand & who to follow!
- Bali vs Thailand: Which Should be your Next Travel Destination?
- The Ultimate Diving Guide to Thailand
- Where to Stay in Koh Samui – Relaxing areas, the Best Beaches and Nightlife Hot spots
- Sailing to Ko Phangan From Koh Samui via Private Yacht
- Fishermans Village Bophut Samui
- 15 Things to do in Koh Samui Thailand
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Ang Thong National Marine Park
Just a couple of hours by boat from Koh Samui, Ang Thong National Marine Park is one of the most popular day trips from Koh Samui. The park includes 42 islands with towering limestone cliffs, sandy beaches, caves, lagoons and waterfalls. There are many tour operators waiting to take you to Ang Thong and most of them include snorkeling, gear rental, lunch, park admission and hotel transfers. Options will vary based on your budget.
You can choose from a huge passenger ferry to a private luxury yacht. At Ang Thong, you can’t miss Emerald Lake, an inland saltwater lagoon. Fans of the Leonardo DiCaprio movie “The Beach” might recognize this spot. If you want to make this more than a day trip, you can even came at Ang Thong. Tents and bungalows are available to rent at the National Park Headquarters on Wua Talap Island.
Day trip to Ang Thong National Marine Park
- Ang Thong Islands by Speedboat Including Lunch from Koh Samui
- Full-Day Marine Park Discovery Cruise from Koh Samui Including Lunch
- Full-Day Ang Thong Islands by Boat from Koh Samui Including Lunch
- Classic Thai Yachts Sunset Boutique Cruise to Ang Thong Park
Much closer to Koh Samui, Koh Phangan is another great day trip destination. Just 20 minutes by speedboat, Koh Phangan is famous for monthly full moon parties that last until morning. If all-night beach parties aren’t your speed, you’ll still find things to do in Koh Phangan on your day trip from Koh Samui. Similar to the Ang Thong day trips from Koh Samui, you can also book a day trip to Koh Phangan for snorkeling or kayaking.
Day trips to Koh Phangan
- Koh Samui Brunch and Snorkeling Cruise
- Adventure Day in Koh Pha-ngan (Private Trip) – Very affordable
- Koh Phangan to Phang Nga by Lomprayah High Speed Catamaran and Coach
- Koh Phangan Brunch Cruise
- Phangan Island Adventures
Divers visiting Koh Samui might want to book a day trip to Koh Tao. Koh Tao can be reached in less than two hours from Koh Samui, and is a unique Thailand destination. Koh Tao has an amazing assortment of marine life, and is a breeding ground for green and hawksbill turtles. This make Koh Tao a popular diving destination. You might also notice a large expat population on this tiny island, meaning you’ll find lots of things to do on Koh Tao. For a small island, there’s a pretty large choice of restaurants and nightlife.
Day trips to Koh Tao
- Koh Samui to Koh Tao by Seatran Discovery Ferry
- 2-dive trip to Koh Tao
- Chumphon Pinnacle-Koh Tao 2 dive trip
- Discover Scuba Diving at Koh Tao or Sail Rock from Koh Samui
- Snorkeling in Koh Tao and Nang Yuan Island by Speed boat
Koh Nang Yuan
Not far from Koh Tao is Koh Nang Yuan, another tropical paradise in Thailand. From Koh Tao, you can hop a longtail boat and you’ll be on Koh Nang Yuan in about 20 minutes. Snorkeling tours from Koh Tao are pretty popular, and similar to other Thailand island tours which include your snorkel gear, meals and transportation. There is just one resort in Koh Nang Yuan, but the popularity of day trips can still cause crowds on the beach. There are some hiking trails on the island which take you up to scenic viewpoints, but like most Thailand island destinations, the beach and water are the main attraction on Koh Nang Yuan.
Day trips to Koh Nang Yuan
- Full-Day Trip to Koh Tao and Koh Nang Yuan from Koh Samui by Speedboat
- Koh Nang Yuan and Koh Tao Snorkeling Tour from Koh Samui
- Koh Tao and Koh Nang Yuan Including Lunch from Koh Samui
- Snorkel Tour: Koh Nangyuan and Koh Tao by Speed Boat from Koh Phangan
Koh Taen and Koh Mudsum
Yet another day trip destination from Koh Samui is to visit Koh Taen and Koh Mudsum. These two islands are slightly less crowded than other Koh Samui day trip destinations because they aren’t as well known. They are about 30 minutes from Koh Samui by longtail boat and offer the usualy Thailand beach amenities. There is one resort, and kayak rental available.
Other Koh Samui day trips you might take will not involve a destination, rather an activity. There are many opportunities to join a day trip for snorkeling, sailing, diving, or kayaking in Koh Samui.
If you’d like to save it for later, please save it to Pinterest.