One of the most expensive, and richest, countries in the world, Switzerland has been famously neutral since 1815. The landscape is noted for the Swiss Alps, mountain villages, ski resorts, and lakes. Geneva is a global hub for banking and diplomacy, while Zurich is a global hub for banking and finance. The capital city is Bern, which has a well-preserved Old Town along the Aare River.
QUICK SWITZERLAND FACTS
Currency: Swiss franc can be withdrawn from ATMs throughout Switzerland, however keep in mind that smaller cities or towns may not have access to ATMs and its recommended to withdraw cash and take it with you.
Power Points: Most power points are the same as most other European power points (2 circular prongs). I would recommend you take a Travel Adapter especially for non Europeans.
Official Language: The official languages of Switzerland are German, French, Italian and Romansh.
Health: There are no major health concerns in Switzerland for travellers. I would recommend that you contact your doctor a few weeks before you travel as in some cases you need to start any medication a few days before your trip or you may need to get a vaccination. The tap water is generally safe to drink, however, if you are unsure, make sure to ask your hotel receptionist or host.
Unsure about travelling during COVID? Check out the COVID travel requirements and restrictions for Switzerland.
Articles on Switzerland
Looking for a particular destination, see below otherwise you can go to Switzerland Travel Guide to view current posts
- 7 Tips for an affordable Switzerland Winter Vacation
- 10 of the Best things to do in Switzerland in the summer
- Unique Swiss Experiences (To Make Your Friends Jealous)
- 7 of the Best Ski Resorts in Europe
- The Ultimate Guide to Zurich
- Where to stay in Zurich
- Best Day Trips from Zurich
- 22 Things to do in Zurich – That People Actually Do!
- Where to stay in Lausanne
- Ultimate Travel Guide to Lausanne
- 16 Things to do in Lausanne – That People Actually Do!
- Where to stay in Interlaken
- Ultimate Travel Guide to Interlaken
- 17 Things to do in Interlaken – That People Actually Do!
- Where to stay in Bern
- Ultimate Travel Guide to Bern
- 16 Things to do in Bern – That People Actually Do !