Covering the northern part of Great Britain, Scotland is a country within the United Kingdom. Edinburgh is the capital, while Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland. Each has a wealth of historic sites and their own culture. The real heart of Scotland lies in the countryside, with rolling hills and lakes. Areas like the Scottish Highlands, Isle of Skye and Loch Ness are must-see destinations, while Scottish cuisine includes Haggis and a lot of whiskey.
QUICK SCOTLAND FACTS
Currency: Great British Pound can be withdrawn from ATMs throughout Scotland, however keep in mind that smaller cities or towns may not have access to ATMs and its recommended to withdraw cash and take it with you.
Power Points: Scotland uses the uses a standard three pronged UK plug. I would recommend you take a Travel Adapter especially for non Australians.
Official Language: The official language of Scotland is English and Scottish Gaelic.
Health: There are no major health concerns in Scotland for travellers. I would recommend that you contact your doctor a few weeks before you travel as in some cases you need to start any medication a few days before your trip or you may need to get a vaccination. The tap water is generally safe to drink, however, if you are unsure, make sure to ask your hotel receptionist or host.
Unsure about travelling during COVID? Check out the COVID travel requirements and restrictions for Scotland.
Articles on Scotland
Looking for a particular destination, see below otherwise you can go to Scotland Travel Guide to view current posts
- 7 Adventures to Be Had in The Scottish Highlands
- Isle of Skye & West Highlands – 4 Day tour with Rabbie’s
- Plan an itinerary for 7 days in Scotland
- 12 of the Coolest Castles in Scotland
- 15 Things to do in Edinburgh – Tourist Guide
- Where to stay in Edinburgh
- Luxury Travel Guide to Edinburgh
- Ultimate Travel Guide to Edinburgh
- 48 hours in Edinburgh – 2 Day Itinerary
- 17 Things to do in Glasgow
- Where to stay in Glasgow
- Ultimate Travel Guide to Glasgow
- 48 Hours in Glasgow – A 2 Day Itinerary
- Where to stay on the Isle of Skye
- Ultimate Travel Guide to Isle of Skye
- 20 Things To Do on the Isle of Skye