Portugal is a budget-friendly European destination located west of Spain. From beautiful beaches of the Algarve region to amazing Moorish influences found throughout the country, the mild weather of Portugal makes it a popular winter getaway for many Europeans. The city of Porto is the home of port wine production, while the capital, Lisbon, is colorful and hilly, affording outstanding views in all directions.
QUICK PORTUGAL FACTS
Currency: The Euro can be withdrawn from ATMs throughout Portugal, however keep in mind that smaller cities or towns may not have access to ATMs and its recommended to withdraw cash and take it with you.
Power Points: Most power points are the same as most other European power points (2 circular prongs). I would recommend you take a Travel Adapter especially for non Europeans.
Official Language: The official language of Portugal is Portuguese.
Health: There are no major health concerns in Portugal for travellers. I would recommend that you contact your doctor a few weeks before you travel as in some cases you need to start any medication a few days before your trip or you may need to get a vaccination. The tap water is generally safe to drink, however, if you are unsure, make sure to ask your hotel receptionist or host.
Articles on Portugal
Looking for a particular destination, see below otherwise you can go to Portugal Travel Guide to view current posts
- Budget Guide to Lisbon
- How to enjoy a luxurious weekend in Lisbon
- Best Day Trips from Lisbon
- Where to stay in Lisbon
- 48 Hours in Lisbon – A 2 Day Itinerary
- Ultimate Budget guide to Lisbon
- The Algarve on a Budget
- The Secret Forts of the Algarve
- Best Day Trips from Algarve
- Where to stay in The Algarve
- The Ultimate Travel guide to Algarve
- Luxury Travel Guide to The Algarve
- Where to stay in Porto
- Luxury Travel Guide to Porto
- 25 Things to do in Porto – Things That People Actually Do!
- Ultimate Travel Guide to Porto