Made up of two islands and hundreds of smaller islands, New Zealand is known for the indigenous Maori culture, as well as stunning landscapes that include hot springs, waterfalls and snow-capped peaks. Auckland is the largest city, with 1.5 million residents, while the much smaller Wellington is the capital. The North Island is known for beautiful beaches and geothermal springs, while the South Island is best known for mountains and fjords, including the famous Milford Sound.
QUICK NEW ZEALAND FACTS
Currency: New Zealand Dollars can be withdrawn from ATMs throughout New Zealand , however keep in mind that smaller cities or towns may not have access to ATMs and its recommended to withdraw cash and take it with you.
Power Points: Most power points are the same as Australian power points (2 diagonal prongs), which is great for Australians and New Zealanders. I would recommend you take a Travel Adapter especially for non Australians.
Official Language: The official language of New Zealand is English and Maori.
Health: There are no major health concerns in New Zealand for travellers. I would recommend that you contact your doctor a few weeks before you travel as in some cases you need to start any medication a few days before your trip or you may need to get a vaccination. The tap water is generally safe to drink, however, if you are unsure, make sure to ask your hotel receptionist or host.
Unsure about travelling during COVID? Check out the COVID travel requirements and restrictions for New Zealand.
Articles on New Zealand
Looking for a particular destination, see below otherwise you can go to New Zealand Travel Guide to view current posts
- Ten Places To Visit In New Zealand
- 7 Must See New Zealand Beaches
- Australia or New Zealand? 7 Tips to simplify your decision
- The difference between skiing in Australia and skiing in New Zealand
- How To Travel New Zealand On A Budget
- The Most Scenic Drives on New Zealand North Island
- Epic 3 day Itinerary for the North Island of New Zealand
- A Night In Auckland: The Best Things To Do
- 5 of the Most Romantic Weekend Getaways In and Around Auckland
- Auckland SkyJump – to be scared or not to be scared….