After France and Spain, Italy has the most tourists of any country in Europe. The famously-shaped “boot” country only became one country in the mid-1800s, so it’s a true mix of different cultures, cuisines and even languages. From the Alps in the north to the Mediterranean island of Sicily, there is a lot to see in Italy. The cities of Rome, Venice, Florence, and Milan all have many interesting attractions to visit.
QUICK ITALY FACTS
Currency: The currency used in Italy is the Eurp which can be withdrawn from ATMs throughout Italy, however keep in mind that smaller cities or towns may not have access to ATMs and its recommended to withdraw cash and take it with you.
Power Points: Most power points are the same as most other European power points (2 circular prongs). Obviously I would recommend you take a Travel Adapter especially for non Europeans.
Official Language: The official language of Italy is Italian.
Health: The only major health concerns in Italy for travellers is a recent break out of measles. I would recommend that you contact your doctor a few weeks before you travel as in some cases you need to start any medication a few days before your trip or you may need to get a vaccination. The tap water is generally safe to drink.
Articles on Italy
Looking for a particular destination, see below otherwise you can go to Italy Travel Guide to view current posts:
- Weird, Unusual and Unique Things to do in Rome for First Time Travellers (Plus a Few Classics)
- Where to Stay in Rome – Close to Famous Attractions
- An Artist’s Playground: Top Attractions for Art Lovers in Rome
- Hotel Review of THE FIRST Luxury Art hotel Rome
- 13 Of the Best Instagram photos in Rome & who to follow!
- 48 Hours in Rome – 2 Day Itinerary
- Luxury Travel Guide to Rome
- Best Day Trips from Rome
- A Quick Amalfi Coast Guide
- The Ultimate guide to Amalfi Coast
- 20 Things to do on the Amalfi Coast – That People Actually Do!
- Where to Stay on the Amalfi Coast
- Siena in Tuscany on a Budget
- Tuscany – A Gem of Northern Italy
- A Weekend Guide to Florence – 10 things to see and do in Florence
- 12 Fun Things to do in Florence
- Where to stay in Florence
- Best Day Trips from Florence
- The Ultimate Travel Guide to Florence
- Ultimate Travel Guide to Siena
- Where to stay in Siena
- 13 Things to do in Venice for Everyone
- The Ultimate Travel Guide to Venice
- Where to stay in Venice
- The Best Day Trips from Venice
- The Ultimate Travel Guide to Naples
- Where to stay in Naples
- 18 Things to do in Naples – That People Actually Do!