The hills of Austria are indeed alive with the “Sound of Music.” Whether you want to dive into the history of the long-ruling Habsburg Empire or explore the majesty of the Australian Alps, Austria is an amazing destination. Europe’s second-wealthiest country is full of cultural opportunities, including the Viennese Opera Houses. While the capital city of Vienna is worth a visit, the mountain villages of Austria are extra special.
QUICK AUSTRIAN FACTS
Currency: People in Austria use the Euro as their currency which can be withdrawn from ATMs throughout Austria, however keep in mind that smaller towns may not have access to ATMs and its recommended to withdraw cash and take it with you if you day trip outside of the major cities.
Power Points: Most power points are the same as most other European power points (2 circular prongs). Obviously I would recommend you take a Travel Adapter especially for non Europeans.
Official Language: The official language of the Austria is German, however, most people generally speak English.
Health: There are no major health concerns in Austria for travellers, however, Tick-borne encephalitis is a risk in forested areas. Ticks are most common in country areas and I would recommend that you contact your doctor a few weeks before you travel as in some cases you need to start any medication a few days before your trip or you may need to get a vaccination. The tap water is generally safe to drink, however, if you are unsure, make sure to ask your hotel receptionist or host.
Articles on Austria
Looking for a particular destination, see below otherwise you can go to Austria Travel Guide to view current posts
- 5 Reasons To Visit Austria During Your Next Trip To Europe
- Enjoy a Musical Weekend Break in Vienna
- 18 Classic Things to do in Vienna
- Where to stay in Vienna
- Luxury Travel Guide to Vienna
- Ultimate Travel Guide to Vienna
- The Best Day Trips from Vienna
- 15 Fabulous Things to do in Salzburg
- Where to stay in Salzburg
- Budget Travel Guide to Salzburg
- The Best Way to See Salzburg in 2 Days
- Luxury Travel Guide to Salzburg
- Best Day trips from Salzburg
- 22 Things to do in Innsbruck – That People Actually Do!
- Where to stay in Innsbruck
- The Ultimate Travel Guide to Innsbruck